Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Emptying waste tank

This is a differently a newbie question.
What's the best way to empty the waste tank.
Do you just hook up the sewer hose,Maybe use a FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit or something similar.Whats the cleanest and most efficient way.
Iam open to any suggestions. Thanks!
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jack, Do you have the tank flush system on your rig? If so, hook up your sewer line, open the black water tank valve(if the tank is 1/2 full or more), and let it empty- then run your tank flush system with the valve closed for about five minutes os so, open the valve again(I leave the flush going this time), then close the valve again and repeat until you get clear water out the drain hose. I then close the valve, leave the flush on for a minute or so (to give the tank some water in the bottom for future deposits). I then dump my graywater tank or tanks (mine has two) to clean out the drain hose and drain. I then disconnect the drain hose and hose it out good- let it drain a little and then put it back in the storage compartment. Now this is what I do but others may do things differently! So far no problems with the blackwater tank doing it this way but there is always the first time!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Exactly what Rondo said. Thats what I also do.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Rondo has it down to the last detail....except while you are flushing with the valve closed...Do Not walk away unless there is a fire inside the RV.
It's easy to forget and then you'll really have a experience that you won't soon forget.
While tanks are draining its your No. 1 job...no pun intended.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jack,
Some good information was posted in the How Long To Flush Thread.

I was only flushing for 5 minutes and the thread I just linked sort of informed me I was doing it wrong.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Remember you'll need a clear hose adapter that connects between the dump valve and the hose or you'll never see if the water is clear - an important tool to have.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jack- Forgot one thing-- I put some Calgon, Arm and Hammer or some sort of water softener in the tank when I get done flushing also, if I have time to do it. This makes the tank a little bit slick inside and keeps the stuff from sticking to the sides and the probe/s for monitoring the level (as if that makes any difference with the one's that are used). I break it down in a gallon of water and then dump it into the stool and flush it. With the water added to the tank after flushing and the gallon of concentrated soft water it keeps it pretty clean for the next time you dump it.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you are open to suggestion, I suggest you look as Sewer Solution. I think it is far superior than the "stinky slinky". It is cleaner, neater, easier and less likely to end up with a spill. You can explore it for yourself at http://sewersolution.com/ and read about how it works. I am fulltiming and have used it for over 3 years. It just works.

Having said that, you still need to dump and wash, fill, dump and wash until the discharge is clear as has been suggested above. Gray water tanks empty after the black is finished.

You can buy it direct from the factory (Plan 9, Inc.) or at places like Camping World. Frankly, it is cheaper from the factory. Plan 9, Inc. sells it for $117 which includes 20' of hose or $98 with 10' of hose. I would buy the extra 10'.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks to everyone for the great flushing idea's.
Stiles,I took your suggestion and just ordered the SewerSolution it sounds like a great cleaning process.
I have alot to learn,thanks to all.
This is our first 5er experience and there's alot to learn,thanks again for all your patience.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That's great, Jack. If you have any questions about tips on using it, just send me an email or private message. If you wish, email me your phone number and we can thoroughly discuss it. I don't think you will be sorry you bought it.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Jack,

Ditto what Stiles said...I have the Sewer Solution and think it is the cleanest operation available. I always feel silly throwing away my latex gloves, but I do it anyway...
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:58 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Question for you guys with the sewer solution. How long does it take to empty a full black tank using the sewer solution? Not including flushing, just emptying the tank. I go back and forth on whether to get the sewer solution and this is one of the questions I've not seen answered. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #13
osubeaver76
Established Member

M.O.C. #6475
Hey everyone. I just today ordered a Sewer Solution Model V and extra 10FT extension hose from K C Trailer in Eugene OR (my old neck of the woods). I called Dwayne Swezey (541-689-0011) to order and he still has a half-dozen or so left at a skosh under $75 + $15 shipping. Or you can try his eBay auction (Item #20217528786) if you want to go that way to order one. That's far less than the $111 at Camping World or anywhere else I could find. Dwayne also sold me the 10FT extension hose ($24, incl S/H) for less than I could find anywhere else. For those of you who are inventive and somewhat mechanically inclined, you might want to paste http://cabotumc.dns2go.com/ss/sewer.htm into your browser for instructions (and pictures) from a Tracy Oakley on building your own system for $45 in materials commonly found at Lowe's. As an inherently lazy guy, I opted to buy mine. Happy camping. Guy
osubeaver76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve,

Using a water pressure regulator, it takes less than 10 minutes to dump. If you are going to get a Sewer Solution, it is a good idea to get the extra 10 feet of hose with the system.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Steve, I have not timed it, having used both, I noticed very little difference in the initial dump time. If it is longer, I don't think it is even 1-1/2 times as long. Mine is fairly quick.

I just went out and dumped 2/3 tank in less than 5 minutes. I don't really know haw that compares, but it doesn't seem to me that the time is an issue.

on edit: I filled the tank via the tank wash at 80+ psi (don't regulate the wash water) for 4 minutes three times and each time the tank enptied in 2-1/2 minutes with the wash continuing while I emptied. I say again, the time is not an issue with me.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Stiles,

Is the SS water regulated while dumping? .....guess I haven't done a scientific timing, but 80 psi is probably a lot higher than anything I have had the opportunity to use...thus the difference in dumping time. I have never actually timed it either, so my timer might be ticking at a different pace.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I use a four outlet manifold which I attach to the water supply. The regulator is only on the one that feeds the RV. Two of the other three have an anti-siphon valve on them. To those two is connected the tank wash hose on one and the Sewer Solution water jet hose on the other. This leaves me one outlet for what ever else I need water for.

As I said, the only regulated water is the fresh water feed to the RV. the other three outlets from the manifold has whatever pressure the supply has.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I guess I'm just don't understand what makes the Sewer Solution use in place of the regular 3 inch line. I know it breaks up solids. (Hope mine are never 3 inches in diameter!!).

What is the attraction of the Sewer Solution? I doesn't flush any better than the built in sewer flush on the 3400 RL. I do understand that those trailers without the new sewer flush could use the sewer solution for flushing and it would beat having to run a hose into the toilet. What advantages are there?

I have never gotten dirty emptying the black water.

If I do, I hope I'll come out smelling like a rose for once in my life!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:41 AM   #19
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Thanks for a useful thread. It's just tough to ask how to flush at age 65! Rondo you delivered! The SS sounds like an excellent investment. Tks everyone. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #20
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
All I can say is after having used both the stinky slinky and the Sewer Solution, I find the Sewer Solution cleaner, neater, and easier to handle. You can go to http://sewersolution.com/ and read about it. If it doesn't ring your bell, don't buy it.

As an example, I don't like slide toppers, but plenty of folks do. I think that is fine. I think they should buy them if they see the benefit. I won't be arguing with them about the merits of lack of them on slide toppers, but I won't be putting them on my rig either.