Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
bolinski
Established Member

M.O.C. #8006
campsite power question(s)

I have read various discussions about the need to carry a multi-tester to determine the actual amps available at any one campsite because some parks etc may or may not be actually providing 30 amp or 50 amp service despite what they say.

My question is-what type of testing device do you folks use? I have been told that you have to put a load on the power pole first or is there some way to test how many amps are actually available at the camp site plug in?

I did see a plug in type amp and wattage tester at Lowes that you can plug an appliance into and determine how many amps or watts you are drawing with that appliance-I wonder if that would be handy to have?

Thanks for your advise and responses in advance.

bolinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I use a simple plug in volt gauge I bought at Radio Shack for about $10. It gives you a good idea of how much power is being used in your section of the park. If your voltage is dropping to 100-105 you know at certain times of day it is being used heavy, coffee pots,microwaves,electric heat,or hot water etc: So when I see heavy use I watch how much I run so as not to ruin anything, I will shut down my air,if using the micro,. It is just a way of knowing how much is being used. Your right,is is not giving you amps,but voltage is a guide as to how much use there is. At lighter times of day or night you will notice voltage at 115-120,
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Depends on how much money you can spend and how much protection you want. We want as much as we can get for a reasonable number of dollars.

http://www.viprv.com/ems/ems.html#pt50
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We use the 50amp surge protector from Camping World. Used it for several years now and have had no problems. Just plug it in and it will cycle thru and determine if the electric power supply is ok, after the check it will power up your system. We have the portable type but you can get the hard wired type. We prefer the portabale type, don't have to cut any wires and when you upgrade 5er's you don't have to remove anything. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
To answer your original question, there is no such tester available that will verify the amps at the pole. Your previous adviser was correct in that amp is a measure of current flow and you would need to put the circuits under full load to verify they are capable of providing the advertised amperage, and that would be a little tricky to accomplish.

However, voltage and polarity are things that you can check relatively easy as Racerjoe points out. Camping World also has a few testers that are simple to use and plug into the large 50A receptacles.

Surge protection devices act as a shield against incorrect voltage and polarity changes, with most providing you with some initial indication of the condition of the power supply (indicator lights, etc). They are left in place while you camp and take action when necessary as a result of change in the power supply to unfavorable conditions. The action taken is they typically shutdown power and automatically disconnect you from the source.

Autoformers on the other hand go a step further. These systems somewhat condition the power supply to eliminate fluctuations in voltage that would impact your appliances. Not only do autoformers suppress voltage spikes, the supplement low voltage dips to a certain degree.

So far, I just plug in and hope for the best .

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I agree with Brad, No way to tell if you will actually get 30 or 50 amps out of a service. One park I go to in Pismo Beach just had a new transformer installed and all new wiring, the manager stated that they are still gettting LOW voltage in parts of the park.
If you get an autoformer or similar devise besure it has surge protection. I look on that didn't have it.
Some devises will tell tell voltage and amps being drawn at that time along with protection high and low spikes. Some just protect from surges. Big thing is how much $$$$$ you want to spend.
I have a EMS from Progessive Industries, does not raise lower voltage like an autoformer but gives a lot of protection. Haven't had it long enough to tell how well it will hold up, but appears to be simple enough to repair if needed.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I use the portable EMS system from Progressive Industries. I feel fairly safe with it as it offers surge protection and cut off during low voltage situations, however, it does not boost low voltage as an autoformer does. I have heard some parks do not allow the autoformers (hearsay) as some park owners think you are stealing their power, go figure, duh, if they had a constant power supply you wouldn't need an autoformer.

I camped at Univ of Utah last summer on portable gen power set up by the LOW conference. Came home at noon to check on animals and the thing had shut down. The power guy there said no drop or surges in power. Had it checked and ended up sending it back to Progressive Industries for a replacement. No charge to me, they were great. Since receiving the new one we have had no problems with power. Keep in mind, we don't stay in state parks and try to avoid the older parks, except 1000 Trails. Maybe this is why we have had no problems. Maybe someday the manufacturers will provide this kind of protection built in to their units, until them we must protect ourselves. I do see alot of people using nothing for protection.....................To each his own.....

PS: I did use my EMS system to determine amp draw for each electrical appliance prior to boondocking. Made a list and keep it in the kitchen. Helpful to know what everything draws when on limited power resource......Now if I can only get DW to consult it prior to turning things on. UMMMMMMMM!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our PT-50C EMS portable system has shut down power to the 3400 on 3 occasions due to high or low power and on 2 occasions would not allow power to the 3400 . 1 time open ground and another low power on 1 leg of the 50 amp. We will not hook up without hooking it up to the CG power source first and I can tell you that rght now with the dryer going we are pulling 13 amps on leg 2 and 2 amp on leg 1..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:04 AM   #9
bolinski
Established Member

M.O.C. #8006
Once again you folks are the best source for info-Thanks for your advise. One of the reasons I was asking is because I anticipate my DW to not ask either before turning on any and everything. She rocks in every other department though!
Sorry I didn't thank you folks sooner-went to Melbourne Beach this weekend-still getting the fiver rigged up to take first trip but had to get away from home for awhile-Wife is fighting cancer and chemo treatments and she needed a break.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:30 AM   #10
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bolinski

Once again you folks are the best source for info-Thanks for your advise. One of the reasons I was asking is because I anticipate my DW to not ask either before turning on any and everything. She rocks in every other department though!
Sorry I didn't thank you folks sooner-went to Melbourne Beach this weekend-still getting the fiver rigged up to take first trip but had to get away from home for awhile-Wife is fighting cancer and chemo treatments and she needed a break.
Oh man, I hope everything is gonna be alright. Our prayers go out to you and your wife.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bolinski

I understand the get away and am really glad your wife is in a position and condition to travel. My Ann has one "clean" year under her belt after finishing six months of a very aggressive Chemo and Radiation treatment for Lung cancer (top right lung so surgery was out).

As you have found out there is a wealth of information here and even better a Family that will support you when needed. Our prayers and well wishes go to you from a survivor family.

I definitely do not want to hijack this thread, just wanted you to know there are others out here who have gone through what you are now and are here if you need to chat publicly or in private. Many times an ear who has walked a mile in your shoes can help.

Best wishes and hope for continued success with the treatments.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bolinski, Our prayers also go out to you and your family. My Cathy is a 11 year survivor of chemo and surgery. With many prayers and Gods help, you two will overcome this malady. Ever feel the need to talk I am a good listener. PM me if you feel the need.

God Speed.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I carry one of those $3 yellow plugs with lights for reversed polarity and ground problems plugged into a 30 amp adapter. I usually forget to use it though and and am about like Brad - plug it in, pray for good "juice" and sniff for melting plastic!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Bolinski, my DW is going thru chemo and finishes May 12. We know what you are going thru and we to look forward to a Monty trip soon. Hang in there. We are on the Nature coast of Florida.
Sorry about being off topic.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:29 AM   #15
bolinski
Established Member

M.O.C. #8006
You folks are the greatest-trying to stop the tears now but we are going to her 4th chemo treatment tomorrow--- This weekend she said to me that she felt that she had been healed and she has been a ball of fire-don't mean to get all spiritual on you guys but I felt it too! We are strong believers in God and all things are possible with prayer and faith. So with that I'll end it there but thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:57 AM   #16
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
With the Lord all things are possible!! Our prayers are with you and your wife.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote