Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Question for 2980 Owners

The 2980 is very similar to what our 3075 was, main difference being the location of kitchen sink cabinet. My wife really likes the amount of counter space the 2980 has and we have a couple of questions about it.

When the slides are in, is there enough room between the couch and the sink cabinet to walk by. I know the table is in the way to walk by, but that can be turned sideways.

Can you see over the counter top when setting in the rear recliner (the one on the curb side).

Also, does anybody really know the difference in length between the two models. The brochure has the 3075 3" longer and Keystone's web site has the 3075 8" longer. Looking at the floor plans, everything appears to be the same. If there really is a difference in length, it seems it would be more cost efficient to build both units the same since they are so similar.

nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:44 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have a 3075 so I can't answer your questions. But I have another question on the 2980 to add to yours.
With the couch made out into a bed, can you walk between it and the sink counter?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Good question, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks Bill & Patricia for asking.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have the 06 2980RL and there is room to squeeze by couch but you do have to turn the table to get by. There is no problem seeing over the counter top from the right rear recliner. That is the chair that I am sitting in right now and can see the television and the sound system below it. I did measure the length but, since I suffer from CRS, can not remember the exact length. It seems it is 33' plus a few inches. Also, no walking between couch when as a bed and counter. - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 AM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
In mine with the slide out in I'm able to walk between slide and sink cabinet without turning the table sideways. Not roomly but diffently accessable. Stayed overnight in a storm with slide out in and didn't have that much of a problem. Refridge, stovetop and M/W is usable.
Now for the "can I see over the counter top with the slide in." That I can't answer because I've never had a need to try it.
When the couch is made into a bed I'm unable to walk between it and the sink counter. The couch/bed goes right up to the sink counter. But when we get up we wake the grandson up and the bed is folded back into a couch so thats not a problem for us.
The length for mine is 32' overall.
Hope this helps you in finding the right coach for you.
We have looked at larger Montanna's and have decided that we bought the right one for us. It has all the room we need and pulls great. We have to look in the mirror to see if its still back there.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Had to move our 2980 a few feet and moved the slides in. There is enough room to get by the couch with the slide in. Turning the table 90 degrees is interesting and imagine would allow you to get by with the slide in though I wonder if you could comfortably get by the chairs. My understanding with a hide-a-bed you couldn't get by the bed and the island counter but you can get by with a jack bed folded out as we have found when we have grandkids with us. I was told when we bought our 2980 that it was not adviseable to walk on the living room slide when it was in as it is suspended above the floor. Take it for what it is worth. We have found that we pack lunch and put in a small cooler and have no reason to get to the refrig when we are traveling. When we couldn't do that we stopped at a truck stop to eat. Happy and safe travels.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We have the 2980rl, and I did rotate the table 90 deg's, and put two chairs in storage being there is only Georgia and I. If we do have company we will use the outside picnik table or put two TV stands for our guest at the couch or the lounge chairs. the slide floor is up a little when in, but I have never had any problems of it bending but I dont make it a habit to walk on it when it is in either.
As for seeing over the counter I have had no problem in eather lounge chair the only problem I have with the sidewalk side lounge chair is getting acess to the trash can to empty it I will have to move the chair a bit so the drawer opens all the way.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:16 AM   #8
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I either leave two chairs at home, or put two chairs upside down on the couch and strap them to the couch. The new 10th Anniversary Edition Montana's have a swivel table top. It slides out a little to clear the window and then then swivels.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
We switched places with the table and jack-knife sofa ... sofa forward and table rearward. Seemed to make better sense as far as food prep and dining. It's still a squeeze past the table with the slide in ... no problem with the countertop and TV from the curbside recliner. If the second questioner's inquiry about the jack-knife sofa was asked when the slide is out ... there is ample room to walk by ... I've never had need to try it with the slide in. By the way the jackknife is way more comfortable than the hide-a-bed, but doesn't compare to the new airbed sofa. Being hydraulically skilled, I just installed a couple of 12 volt blocking valves near the pump to control the slide operation from switches installed in the coat closet. When stopped during travel, I can simply flip 2 switches blocking the movement of the bedroom and kitchen slide and run the main slide out a foot or so to get easy access to the fridge. The whole modification set me back about $275.00. The factory manual shutoff valves Keystone touts to control slide operation are just pretty useless in my opinion ... in and out ... in and out to make use of them ... geeze!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Not replying to the topic but want to know how Nailbender is doing on the insurance settlement on the Monte that got caught unter the tree? I am presuming you are looking for a new unit and that's what this thread is about! I have a 2004 2980lr and as was said earlier, if you turn the table you can make it to the frig and by the couch.
Just wondering about the insurance deal--hope I didn'nt bring up something that is taboo!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Dieselguy, I have often thought it would be great to do what you did with the hydraulic system, but I know nothing about hydraulics. Depending what model we get, maybe you could send information on how to the install system. I am sure many others would also be interested.

Rondo, I don't know why it would be taboo, and don't mind talking about it. We are still dealing with insurance companies. We have insurance for auto with AAA Insurance and are doing OK so far with them. Homeowners insurance is with another company which is suppose to cover the RV cover and other things that were damaged. So far they are being real jerks, I would like to use other words to describe them but won't. So far we don't have much indications of what we will get.
Don