Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2007, 05:46 AM   #21
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
In relation to Max tire pressures you must also consider Max inflation rating of the RIM. And for those that travel between hot and cold climates may want to consider changing from air to Nitrogen. Nitrogen does not transfer heat and does not expand or contract, therefore pressure inside of tire would remain constant. Problem however is locating dealers that carry Nitrogen. In an emergency there is no problem of mixing air and nitrogen. Or carry a small bottle that is available at nearly any welding supply.

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:10 AM   #22
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Thanks everyone for your responses, the exchange of information, and sharing of knowledge and experiences. Gene thanks too for providing the link to FAQ Regarding Tires.

I too agree with Gene and others who find it improbable there will be a recall, or at least one that is prompted by a grass roots effort by owners. It is probable insurance companies share information of this nature and their collective data could possibly prompt an NHTSA investigation. A traffic accident linked to tire failure and resulting in multiple fatalities could also generate an NHTSA investigation. And I’m not sure a fatal accident as resulted from an RV tire failure.

Two Federal agencies that could initiate inquiries and investigations independent of the NHTSA on tires manufactured overseas are Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Border Protection. However, given the priority Homeland Security has with those 2 agencies, it is unlikely they would join the fray. And as others have pointed out the number of variables and unknowns involved would make it very difficult to pinpoint a specific cause for a failure.

Quote:
quote:Gene said: Having followed the tire postings on this forum, as well as others such as RV net, it becomes quite evident that many RVers are not checking their tires on a regular schedule. If you do find 1 out of 3 tires has lost some pressure don't just re-inflate it and head on down the road.
Quote:
quote:Grant said: Yesterday as we were about to leave it said that 3 tires had dropped 3 pounds since Wednesday morning when we started out but, a third tire was down 12 pounds. I checked the tire with my gage and it agreed. Long story short I aired the tire up to 80 pounds and went directly to a tire shop. There was a leak at the base of the value stem. They replaced that valve stem with a metal stem.
My moral to this story is ALWAYS check your tire pressure before starting out and if something looks odd have it looked into. QUOTE

I also agree that many of these failures occur as a result of the failure of RVers to either check the pressure of their tires prior to departure OR to either fail to follow-up or recognize the need to follow-up to indicators of a pending failure. Grant provided a great illustration of what you need to do to avoid a potential catastrophic situation.

As a result of the information contained on this forum the priority of gotta have on my list of after market upgrades has changed. The tire covers I have postponed buying has moved to number 1 on the list and a tire pressure monitor is #2.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:44 AM   #23
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joe-n-Doe

...... As a result of the information contained on this forum the priority of gotta have on my list of after market upgrades has changed. The tire covers I have postponed buying has moved to number 1 on the list and a tire pressure monitor is #2.
[s]Speaking of tire covers, I have a set that anyone that wants them can have them for FREE. Due to health problems, a neighbor is selling his 5th wheel and moving into a Park Model. He gave me a box of odds and ends and the tire covers were in the box. I don't believe in them and so anyone that wants to pay the postage may have them. They are used but still in good condition.[/s]

Sorry they're Gone, Sold them here in the park.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

I agree with you Steve, it does get confusing but it isn't something that is likely to change. It's kind of like when they converted to load ratings instead of telling you what ply the tire is, or when they converted to metric sizes, difficult at first, but we got used to it. I posted a list several months ago that included load and speed ratings, maybe I should repost it, or maybe it is something we can put on the MOC Homepage.
I saved the list you posted, Lonnie, and I thank you again for making it available. I don't look at those codes often enough to commit them to memory. And this old memory would probably let them escape, anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #25
go185
Established Member

M.O.C. #1717
We have been thinking about adding tire pressure monitors. We cannot locate Dorian pressure monitors but did find Doran RV tire pressure monitors. Do these monitors mount inside the tire, on the rim, or on the valve stem. Sounds like a good idea to put these monitors on with all the tire problems everyone is having. Would appreciate your comments.
go185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #26
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Lonnie B I tried to find that losd and speed chart--couldn't find it. Could you post that again.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #27
dg1turner

M.O.C. #8002
HAS ANY HAD TROUBLE WITH FREESTAR TIRES THAT IS WHAT CAME ON OUR 5ER
dg1turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #28
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I searched the archives and couldn't find the charts I posted either, but here is a link to a Tire Rack Tech Page that has both the speed and load charts.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:15 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:09 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
go185..look here www.rvcams.com for the pressure monitors..they screw onto the valve stem. Many of us have purchased things from Tim at Rv cams and the service is great.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:51 AM   #31
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I went direct to Doran manufacturing. I think price is the same. They offer great service also as I had to have two sending units replaced and the main monitor. No charge for any...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:26 AM   #32
go185
Established Member

M.O.C. #1717
Rich, thanks for the info. We went to that site and found the info we wanted. Thanks again and have a Happy New Year.
go185 is offline   Reply With Quote