Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #81
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think that the word(s) we are looking for is not "upset", "mad", "don't care", etc (I know I missed some - I also used some...).

I believe it's a sense of "heightened concern" over the uncertainty as prices seem to be skyrocketing, and all the "benchmark" plateaus/peaks that all the "experts" predicted have dissolved into thin air as we went flying right by them. Now they are all spouting "$100/bbl". You can see them all wince as the think maybe they should have said "$110/bbl". Anyone besides me leery about putting my faith in anything they predict? If we could see a light - even a small light - at the end of the tunnel, it would give us some relief.

It's the uncertainty that is scary.

Oil today: $95.93 (+2.44). Hope Rich is right. We need a sell-off. Long and sustained...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #82
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Diesel in Bakersfield where we have at least 2 major refineries was at $3.60!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #83
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Local Paper column "Since You Asked" someone asked how many gallons of gas are refined out of a barrel?

Here is their response.
"One barrel of crude oil, when refined, produces about 20 gallons of finished gasoline, 9 gallons of diesel/fuel oil, 4 gallons of jet fuel, 2.3 gallons of heavy fuel oil (ship engines, power generation) as well as other petroleum products, including up to a couple gallons each of liquefied refinery gases, still gas, coke, asphalt and road oil, petrochemical feedstock (to make plastics, synthetic rubber, solvents), lubricants and kerosene.

Other products made from petroleum include ink, crayons, bubble gum, dishwashing liquids, deodorant, eyeglasses, LP records (what are those?), tires, ammonia and heart valves."

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #84
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I paid $3.69 in Pasco, WA today. Lowest price I could find. A dime or so cheaper than the other stations.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:26 AM   #85
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Mike,

The gas station on 27th in Kennewick ( Walmart station) Was at $3.67 yesterday.
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:27 AM   #86
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
dsprik
I see the light at the end of the tunnel.....I am afraid it is a train....
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:04 AM   #87
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bottom line is this.We need not go anywhere. The 3400 and the diesel can stay in the driveway and we can stay right here in Northern Ohio as we did up till last winter. We can well afford to remain here and maintain our usual quality of life. We have a Honda Civic 33 + MPG all we need is within 5 or so miles of us. As a matter of fact we do not need to have the camper and truck..it is a luxury and only tools that allowed us to realize a dream. That is what we are upset about "realize our dream" The high cost of energy is eroding our ability to do that,,if the high cost continues we will have to abandon that dream.. Unfortunately we only have so many dollars to spend on that dream..It WAS a lot of dollars but every increased dollar that energy cost us..IN ALL AREAS.. is one less dollar we can use to travel. We are going to Flordia this year, not Arizona..half the distance..we will work this winter to defray cost. We are doing that because we simply could not afford to travel as we did last winter.So let fuel go to 7/ 10 Dollars a gallon we can use the dollars we spend on travel to off set that cost and live our ususal life here in Northern Ohio. It will only be the dream that we planned and saved for for years that will be gone.. THAT is what upsets us...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:06 AM   #88
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
There is hope. My brother is a manager at a major wholesale food distributer in Southern Ontario. They are converting a dozen of their long haul trucks to a new technology.http://www.wired.com/cars/energy/news/2005/11/69529

IMHO This is where we are headed, a technical solution. Again no oil company executive or any country, province or state legislature is going to take us there if it means less profits, taxes or election contributions. The oil pirates own the distribution system so don't expect them to start making anything but their overpriced products available unless we elect people who have the "b??ls" to take them on. In the meantime we will vote, as consumers, with our dollars. The technologies are out there and being further developed and refined. Mass production will bring down costs and improve availability. Competition will spur innovation as long as it is protected from those big oil dollars squishing it before it gets started. The enemies are not Asian countries trying to improve their economies or even OPEC as most of the oil imports are now from other sources. It isn't people who are concerned about the damage that the petroleum industry and fossil fuel consumption has on our planet. It isn't us as we would all like to see cheaper, less polluting fuels. The biggest enemies by name are Exxon Mobile, Shell, British Petroleum, Total and Chevron. Like big tobacco they put profit ahead of any other concern, moral or otherwise. Can anyone say anti-trust?
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:17 AM   #89
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Dear MOC friends--fuel prices are NEVER going to go down. There will be fluxuations for sure, but the trend will only be upward! Diesel here in Opelika AL has risen 46 cents in the last 10 days; think they have to pay the guy who changes the price signs overtime. Congress and the Administration have not said a word even though the price of oil sets new records nearly every day. The AMA says that the increase in oil prices raises the cost of medical care---it affects everything in our lives. The financial gurus say that oil spikes are precursors to recessions and market down turns---luckily we don't have any stocks. Enjoy it while you can and how the technical alternatives show up before we're all pushing daisies (we like that TV program.)
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:55 AM   #90
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote from mobilrvn:
Dear MOC friends--fuel prices are NEVER going to go down. There will be fluxuations for sure, but the trend will only be upward! End Quote

This is my fear. We are left with only a shell (no pun intended) of our dream. Man I hate being so negative but as Tiffensdad said, "the light at the end of the tunnel is a train!"

I will continue to hope for the best. Let us hope that our representatives at all levels will see the impending doom and do something to correct the problem.

HamRad

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #91
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The problem with the politicians and the traders even, is that they do not live in the same world we do. They go back and forth to work every day from their apartments on a train or cab. They are not experiencing the same lifestyle that we are. So when something happens in our world that critically impacts it, it has little or no impact on them (slight increase in cab or transit fees maybe). They may perceive that something bad is happening "out there", but they are slow to react to it because it is not impacting their lifestyle with the same severity.

Look at your average trader. How much is he/she ever out on the open road??? Even their vacations consist mainly of flying to another major city or resort and they rent cabs or use the existing transit system. And these guys are raising their hands on the floor with no regard to our plight.

This is only my perception of the oil pricing situation. I could be wrong...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #92
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Oil goes up,Fuel goes up,trucking goes up,prices go up. The sales tax on taxeable items go up. Why should any Gov Rep,....Fed,State,or local ....mess with the cash cow in their hand. When the house of cards tumble, it'll take 5 years of Politician finger pointing,none will try to solve it. Sorry about ranting, I've typed this 3 times in the last week, but can't contain any longer. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #93
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Everything goes up except my wages.
I'm working off a pricesheet over 10 years old...and if I try to add on my fuel increases like the truckers do, there is a list of people that want my job.
So I end up taking it in the shorts and working for less and less.
Howz that for job security...

I think I need a new line of work...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #94
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
And now the PIPER must be paid. Indeed the Partee' is beginning to end. So many recieve so much for doing nothing except procreating. So many behind bars without a care in the world. Free this and free that, it goes on and on. "Whenever something is free to you someone else has to pay for it". It has always been that way and it always will. The bill for the "Great Society" comes due. Hello NAFTA and all the junk they sell us at cheap labor. We now begin to "reap the wind". Buy your foriegn goods, they're cheap aren't they? Those Jap trucks and cars so many love and don't forget the Chinese donation to cheap.
THERE THAT FEELS BETTER!

Happy Trails to all.
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #95
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
It's our own fault... the minorities demand we not drill for oil on our own land, because be might injure a snail, moth or a minnow. This thinking has got our country to this point. It's about time that the MAJORITY starts to make their voice heard...You have to also remember that those that are appointed to make our laws, get picked up at their front door with limo's paid for by the tax payer, they don't spend a dime from their own pocket to get to work. Why should they worry about this or for that matter health care. Every dime of their needs are met by the tax payer. So why should they vote to change anything. I think the day they start paying their way, transportation and healthcare, that is the day we will see changes and not any sooner/ Just my Humble opinion, and I am deeply sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes... Safe travels to those that can afford it/ Later John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #96
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
In Metro Vancouver, B.C. the price of diesel is 1.069 per litre it is cheaper usually farther out in the Fraser Valley.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #97
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
OK. Now it is just getting meaner by the minute.

Locking it down.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote