Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Nell
Established Member

M.O.C. #7257
terrible bed (couch pull-out)

Hello all...well, we finally made the move and bought the 2005 Montana 3670RL that we had been looking at for over 2 months...we picked it up yesterday, and have been the past two days unloading our other Montana TT into the new (to us) Montana fifth wheel. We are going for a 3 day trial run, and taking our granddaughter with us. She will be sleeping on the pull out couch bed, and it is just terrible...I'm sure you all know what I mean...my question is..
will the bed fold up into the couch if we put a memory foam topper on the mattress? Have any of you tried this? If so, what thickness of memory foam would you suggest? Thanks for any responses...Nell

Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am anxious to find out also, we have a 2" on our bed and are looking at a 4" with hopes of putting the 2" on the sofa bed for the girls. Good question if an answer is known??????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
The bed is fine for kids as they are light enough to not sink in and get the dreaded bar across the back.
When they get to be teens, or if you want to be able to have any adult friends over, an air bed is a good low cost solution.
You have to spend a couple minutes setting up and down, but it gives a good night's sleep.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We tried the 2" memory foam on ours and it would not shut properly. We now just use a queen size air bed and forget the couch.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
we also use an air mattress on top of that thing they call a matteress when the daughter is with us, its more comfortable than the matteress on the queen bed in the front bed room.Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Our kids prefer the air mattress as well. Sometimes they put it on top of the fold out, and sometimes just on the floor.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Nell

...my question is..
will the bed fold up into the couch if we put a memory foam topper on the mattress? Have any of you tried this? If so, what thickness of memory foam would you suggest? Thanks for any responses...Nell
My sister Sue, also a Montana owners has a three inch memory foam topper on her sofa bed that we bought at Sam's Club. It is a bit difficult to close up but she did it day after day when we were in Florida for her daughter's horse shows. I would think a two inch would be easier. Not sure where you'd buy one but I have read they do come in different thickness sizes. She actually bought two and put one on her bed up in the bedroom. It was a dream to sleep on.

Congratulations on your new Montana Fiver. The 3670RL is a great floor plan and I'm sure you and your family are going to enjoy it.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You could always sell the sofa bed and order the new airbed sofa bed from a dealership. Cost is ~$1,100 plus shipping, which will include a $50 crate charge. ($300 total charge for us). Boy... we must have REALLY wanted that new airbed sofa...

We do love it, but probably cheaper to follow others idea of running down to Walmart and getting a good airbed to throw on top of the existing mattress...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ditto the air bed. When my wife had abdominal surgery, she could not handle trying to get into the high bed. We got the inflatable with an electric pump. It worked for her regarding comfort. By reversing the pump, I could deflate it quickly. The air mattress easily folded right into the couch.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:13 AM   #10
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We take our grandkids(1 at a time) with us and they sleep on the sofa. We have an air bed. It is easy to set up and take down. Also, it folds up into a small package for storage.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:25 AM   #11
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I just looked at a Cedar Creek this weekend while camped in Norhern Michigan. It has a sofa bed with an air mattres which folds with the bed. Just fold out the bed turn on the swith and it inflates. When you done just turn the switch to deflate and fold the whole unit up. A person could get an air mattress and do the same thing. The unit also had a full size drawer under it for storage.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Old turbo - that's the same bed Montana is using now.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We put a 4" inner spring mattress from a sofa sleeper in the house into ours and it closed fine (snug). So, I assume a 2" topper would work. We have a 2" memory foam topper on our bed in the Montana and we like it.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

We have a 2" memory foam topper on our bed in the Montana and we like it.
We have a 2" memory foam on ours as well (main bed) - makes for a wonderful sleep.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have a 4 inch from Overstock.com and it is the most comfortable sleep I have ever had, period.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #16
bonscott
Established Member

M.O.C. #1097
We had a memory foam mattress from Sam's Club on our 2003 3295RK. I believe it a 2" mattress. We fit it onto the sofa bed by having the extra length pushed through the top of the bed - . When closed, the sofa did close all the way, but the seat cushions could not be
pushed all the way under the upper cushions. The bottom cushions would kind of slide forward a bit.
But it was so worth it. Occassionally we like to pull the sofa bed out late at night to watch a movie (then our dogs jump up on the bed, and get extra snuggle time).
After discovering how great the memory foam mattress is by using it while camping, we bought more for the beds at home. I don't know if I could live without them now.
We will be doing a 2 week stint in September. Now comes the decision - take the memory foam mattess along from a bed at home (gave the one from the camper to our daughter, who moved out), or, bring along our queen air bed, to put on top of the sofa bed?
Is it too high on the sofa bed, with an 7-8 " air bed on top?
bonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #17
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
We started out with a topper, but the dreaded bars still could be felt through the mattress. Next, we replaced the mattress with a new spring mattress that worked pretty well, as long as I put two pieces of masonite underneath the mattress to even out the support. Too much trouble.

Finally, we put an aerobed air mattress in place of everything else, and added a dog pad to keep the mattress off the metal springs and wires, and it works beautifully. I fold the sides in so they don't get pinched when it gets folded up, and it sets up and breaks down quickly.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:10 AM   #18
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
I really don't believe a 2" foam topper will do much good unless you put something rigid like plywood directly on top of the bed frame. Otherwise, you will still feel the bar across your back. The foam topper itself is not nearly substantial enough to support your body weight and keep it from contacting the bar. In my previous fiver, I cut 2 sections of 3/8 plywood to fit over the bed frame and then put the cheapo mattress on top of that to sleep on. It was not particularly comfortable, but at least the bar wasn't sticking into your back all night. I could store the plywood underneath the couch when not using it. I agree with most of the other posters than some kind of air mattress would be much better.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #19
pasha26287
Established Member

M.O.C. #5815
Send a message via AIM to pasha26287 Send a message via Yahoo to pasha26287
We have a 2006 3400RL that came with the king sized bed. We are "long timers" vrs full timers. Been in our stick house 2 weeks since the 15th of April. After 4 months i removed the king matress and used a skill saw to cut the bed base to fit a residentual queen sized pillow topped matress. The difference is astounding. A friend helped resize the quilt that came with it. (Split it up the middle and resewed it.) The extra few inches make all the difference in the world in getting around the bed, particularly by the front closet. We put a 2 inch foam topper on the sofa bed and it helps there with no problems closing the bed back. I can email pics if requested. Bill
pasha26287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 AM   #20
Nell
Established Member

M.O.C. #7257
We finally put a 2" egg-crate foam topper on the couch-bed, and it folded up with very little effort (just be sure to get the top of the topper underneath the back of the couch when folding it up). It works great.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote