Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Drive or Ferry

We will be vacationing in Washington State. We will be in the seattle area and from there we go to Port Angeles, WA.

We are trying to determine if we should take the Edmonds/Kingston ferry or drive from Seattle to Port Angeles via Tacoma/Olyimpia and Route 101.

My reasoning for taking the Tacoma/Olympia 101 route is that I have a problem crossing bridges. I try to avoid them if I can. Big bridges that is.

Given that, can anyone tell me if I am better off taking the ferry or the drive. I understand the the traffic is terrible in the seattle area.

I figured out the cost and the cost of the ferry is equal to he cost of gas if i drove. The time to drive is also equal to the time to wait/load and take the ferry.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We took the ferry and it was a beautiful view coming into Port Angeles.
If we were there again we would go by ferry.
Enjoy the trip.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
There is a lot of construction on I-5 near seattle, maybe some on that lives there can comment more. Otherwise I say if you have the time the drive would be ok, downside on the ferry is cost.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
From Whidby Island to Port Townsend with Montana was $69.50 this past May.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
If you can survive the traffic in Seattle, then you can easily take the Tacoma Narrows bridge. They have opened the new bridge that goes from west to east. The old bridge goes from east to west and now has three of four lanes open (I went over it today). Trucks are to use the center of the three lanes. They are working on the forth lane. Just time your crossing to the morning hours and you will be fine. Head north from there and go over the Hood Canal Floating bridge and on to Port Angeles. Piece of cake. That's what I would do, and have done, rather than take the Ferry.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Thank you for info. When you say to time my drive for the morning hours, how early and why...

Thanks

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtnhntr

If you can survive the traffic in Seattle, then you can easily take the Tacoma Narrows bridge. They have opened the new bridge that goes from west to east. The old bridge goes from east to west and now has three of four lanes open (I went over it today). Trucks are to use the center of the three lanes. They are working on the forth lane. Just time your crossing to the morning hours and you will be fine. Head north from there and go over the Hood Canal Floating bridge and on to Port Angeles. Piece of cake. That's what I would do, and have done, rather than take the Ferry.
Ken
Old 08-12-2007, 12:18 AM   #7
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
What can you tell me about the Floating bridge on route sr104 - Hood Canal. Is it OK to cross with RV...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtnhntr

Ken
Old 08-12-2007, 02:19 AM   #8
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
Like everyone has said...the ferry can get pricey. With Narrows Bridge, you don't want to get tied up with the morning traffic, after about 9ish you shud be golden. The Hood Canal bridge is a piece of cake. Your really don't know you are on a bridge, it is level with the water.

After you finish in PA, where are you headed? You have the option of taking US101 up and around the Olympic Pensula...realllly a pretty area. Take a look a the map and you can see where it will take ya.

Enjoy you trip!

Bill
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:57 AM   #9
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Bryan,

We live on the Kitsap Peninsula and would highly recommend that you take the Tacoma Narrows bride route on Hwy 16 west to Hwy 3 north to Hwy 104 and the Hood Canal floating bridge over to the Olympic Peninsula and Hwy 101 into Port Angles. I would not however recommend Hwy 101 between 104 and Shelton as it is a very beautiful drive but it is also a narrow two lane twisty road that has many accidents (especially this year). I also would not recommend the Washington State Ferries when towing. They will charge you an arm and a leg for a half hour to an hour boat ride. However, most are very nice rides if you have never been on a ferry or on the Puget Sound. I hope when your in Port Angles you will have time to see Hurricane Ridge, Port Townsend and Fort Warden (where the filmed the movie an Officer and a Gentleman), and can take a ferry over to Victory Canada.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608
Bryan

Ditto what fire5er said. Take the bridges. The Edmond/Kingston run can have really long wait times early morning or evening ..or come to think of it anytime at the weekends during vacation season. I used to take that ferry every work day for 2 years.. Friday night was a bad night .. 3 hours was my longest wait time. Enjoy the Peninsula and for sure visit Hurricane ridge.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
If you decide to take the Ferry you may want to check the tide tables if you try to get on or off at a low tide I think you will drag the back of the RV along the ramp or the ferry deck. All the bridges in Washington that you would take are great for any size RV. Do not go near down town Seattle as I5 is closed except for 1 lane for about 2 weeks.
Good luck and have a safe trip.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #12
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
BandJ, I suggested morning hours for crossing the Tacoma Narrows Bridge because most people are headed into Tacoma to work, rather than out of Tacoma in the am. I think that what BillE suggested ( about 9ish ) is good. As for HiWay 101 between Shelton and HiWay 104, I have pulled my 5er on it at least 10 time this summer and while it is twisty, it isn't that bad. It is also plenty wide enough and has many pull outs. If during the weekday, the traffic is light.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:36 AM   #13
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Thank you everyone. Yes, we are spending 5 days in the Port Angeles area. We are staying at Cresent Beach Campground. We have reservations to go across to Victoria.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:31 AM   #14
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
BandJ, That is one of our favorite CG. Beautiful beach and very quite. It is rather steep hill getting down to the CG, but very doable. Enjoy.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:18 AM   #15
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Thank you.. We will be careful..

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rlwhit

BandJ, That is one of our favorite CG. Beautiful beach and very quite. It is rather steep hill getting down to the CG, but very doable. Enjoy.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #16
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Have a great trip. After the Minnesota bridge collapse, I would think that going across bridges will be inherently safer for a while.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #17
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
BandJ, you are in for a beautiful trip. Two weeks ago, we drove from Tacoma to Port Angeles via Highways 16 to 3 to 104 to 101. After a week in Port Angeles visiting family, we headed toward Oregon via the coast on 101. We stayed the night in Bay Center, WA, about 214 miles from PA. Then on into Oregon. We're still on 101, staying in Lincoln City for a few days before heading inland to McMinnville to visit more family.

I'm not too crazy about going over bridges, either, but all the bridges we went over have been fine. As I mentioned earlier, it is a beautiful trip. I'm sure you'll enjoy it no matter how you decide to do it.
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote