Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Found another abused American flag.....

This one is atop of a flagpole on a fake ship structure at Gabriella's Italian restaurant and Pizzeria, 1506 W. Hwy. 100 in Port Isabel, Texas. We saw it last night late.
The phone number is (956) 943-2141
I understand a 3 or 4 minute phone call would not be too costly....
The flag is attached by one connection, it's unfurled, pretty much rolled up by the wind and in pretty bad shape.
I just called them, too early at 8:06 AM I guess no one there.
let's get it off the pole, I'll get it over to the American legion.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:20 AM   #2
ashlandcpa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6686
What is the correct way to handle a worn out flag?

Dave
ashlandcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:46 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dave, Great question, first it should be taken down and presented to a group, or person who can retire it with the dignity it deserves. I am not an expert on this procedure by any means, but I think it entails cutting the flag in a certain way and burning the different pcs.
'Google' retiring our flag, it will explain the proper way.
Ozz
Old 02-16-2007, 03:19 AM   #4
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Sounds as if you are becoming a one man flag rescue organization. What a great mission! We think that you are probably going to find a bunch of MOC members who will be joining you. It always saddens us to see a neglected flag--we wonder if the folks who are flying it understand the true message they are sending. After living overseas for three years, we really appreciate the privilege of being able to fly the stars and stripes and the blessing of all it stands for.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
An informal Flag Rescue Organization (FRO) right within MOC! What a great idea!!
We can go "to and FRO" while doing our daily whatevers.
I like it!
I'm joining, and will let you know what I find as I will be more observant.
Let's go to and FRO!
Larry
On edit - OZZ, I vote for you as President of the FRO (and for the USA too - what better choice?).
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Larry, thanks.
But I do wonder how many called the number. How committed are we really?
let's go folks, this is our country, our flag, our Patriotism.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I just called them.

The lady at the restaurant said they rent the building and it was the building owner's flag...she was very courteous, but, obviously, not very concerned or she would have done something. She gave me the owner's number...(956) 434-1450, I called him. He acted surprised, and said he'd have somebody "take a look at it." I told him it was in bad shape and needed to come down...not very courteous, I got the impression he may not do anything.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bert,
Thanks for taking the time to place the call! Hopefully it will have a positive outcome...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bert thank you, a man of action and honor.
I will point out to the owner the many retired servicemen and women here in the area, and the fact that the newspaper has nothing to print except the weather, so a news item such as his will be good reading.
I will also visit the VFW Hall, and see if they would like a mission of their own.
I will make this my personal project here. If we get no positive steps, perhaps more contact is in order.
Thanks again.
ozz
Old 02-17-2007, 03:35 AM   #10
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
CBS 11 news here in Dallas showed a tattered flag while giving the weather to demonstrate how the wind was blowing. I contacted them immediately asking them to have a newscast on how disrespectful it is to our country and our veterans to fly a worn flag. So far nothing.
Ozz is on to something, everytime we see a worn flag do SOMETHING and anything. Phone calls and e-mails all the way to pointing out to those that fly these flags.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I stopped by the business, took pictures and talked with the manager on site, turns out the T-Shirt store owns the building, the on site manager directed me to 'Saul' over on the island at another T-Shirt store, I stopped there, Sol was out, he was the General Manager, not the owner of the flag building, so I left the owner pictures I took of the flag, he was to be 'around' Monday.
I left the message that there were hundreds of interested citizens that would follow this matter, and keep on it until resolved. I left my card.
(I guess the owner is a United States citizen....)
Owners name is Gabriel Vanounou Cell # (956)434-1450
General manager at the T-Shirt store is Saul
Business name is; Surf's Up Universal Surfgear. (T-shirts)
American Flag II
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0873.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0880.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0877.jpg
Old 02-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Ozz, I just spoke to a Lady from that 956-943-2141, she said she was the Manager, I told her that I am a disabled veteran and that the issue was being discussed over the web and I am personally insulted that she would be so uncaring for the flag that so many veterans sacrificed so much for. She said they had already purchased a new flag and that she would have her maintenance people replace the flag this week. I told her we would be looking for it.....Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thank You, Pete, not only for the call on the flag but for your service to our freedom.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Pete, I really appreciate the support, I will follow up, and take pictures.
Ozz
Old 02-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #15
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Way to go Pete!!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:42 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A copy of an email I sent the owner, and a touching article.

Gabriel Vanounou
President, Surf's Up
SurfupGV@rgv.rr.com
The flag on your building in Port Isabel is ripped, frayed, held in place by one attachment point and in desperate need of a respectable retirement.
I Understand you have purchased a new flag to replace the present severely damaged one.
It will not be enough to simply remove the flag, we would like to have the flag so we can give it the respect it deserves.
I will tell you that there are many Patriots following this matter. You would be hard pressed to find anyone not touched by a war or conflict, a family member, neighbor or friend, fighting for our country and our flag. Not only we who fought under it's shadow, but all Americans who love their country.
Please let me know the minute that flag is removed from the flagpole it is on, so I can take it to be respectfully retired.
I hope the new flag will not be neglected and forgotten as this one has been, please monitor it for damage.
There are many people following this event.
I am including a link to a story you may find interesting.
http://www.usa-patriotism.com/articles/fav_heart.htm
Jim Osbern
Old 02-18-2007, 03:34 AM   #17
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Ozz, thank God there are true Patriots like you out there in the world, I wish I could there with you when they hand you the Flag. If that guy drags his feet tell me the name of the nearest TV station......Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Pete.
Trust me, I will keep on top of this. It's really no fun doing this type of deal, you are dealing with people who are not caring and look at someone like me as a kook or something, but you know, I don't care what he thinks, I know in my heart what is right.
I don't insult them or raise my voice, I just ask for the flag. I will do whatever it takes, I can shift as many gears as it takes to get that done.....
Old 02-18-2007, 06:18 AM   #19
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
I really believe that most people simply do not understand the importance of the flag. The very reason they are flying the flag is because they are trying to be patriotic. These days not too much is said regarding the proper way to fly a flag, let alone the proper way to dispose of a flag. People have many symbols of the flag. There are flag tablecloths, flag windsocks, tee shirts with flags on them and even see-through rear-window graphics of flags on their trucks. Many flags that are flown are not easy to take down and put back up every day. Just thought I'd put this out there for your opinions. It is a good thing to be educated on the use of our flag, however I wouldn't want to see people stop flying the flag because they are worried they won't do it properly.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Al, a good thought, but the proper way to display the flag it's self should be adhered to. I am 'Busting' the people who have torn, tattered flags that need to be retired.