Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Shake Down Trip a Success

Picked-up our 3400 Montana Friday 12-8, The PDI went well and the Service Tech. was very helpfull and informative. The only problem was screws missing out of the top door hindge on the Pantry. Spent over 2 hours going over it. We set it up for an out of state delivery in Nevada, they had it taken to Sam's Town in Las Vegas for us even though it was origanly set to be delivered at Stateline.

The equipment and decore was what we expected, regular TV, Black Door Frig. light carpet and dark hardware. Over all the interior is appealing. When checking out the basement I noticed it has an outlet and TV hook-up with a 12v plug on the ceiling just inside and to the left. I am thinking in the future I will move this to the exterior as it is under the awning and would make a convient place for my outside TV.

During our weekend everything worked fine. No leaks or other problems except the souround sound system, could on get one rear speaker to work. It's OK because I am taking my system from the house and putting it in the Montana, along with a rewire of speakers.

When we left I could not beleive how easy it towed. It was easy to get use to and now I have now real problems towing it, only ran over 4 curbs. In the winds it was very stable, and went up and down the mountains great. I guess I got the right combination with the F-350 Long Bed and the tow commmad package. The Tow/Haul mode on the transmission made it easy to handle steep roads.

This week we are home and showing it off to friends and family then off to Stockton over the weekend to pick-up Carolyn's mother. We are taking the Montana and have reservations at an RV park in French Camp.

Over a year of looking and research finally paid off. For my money this is the best value in a 5th wheel. We can't wait to get on the road full time with it. Hope to be out of the stick house this spring.

jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:20 AM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Glad everything when good now comes the fun part of just enjoying it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:29 AM   #3
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Glad the PDI and first roadtrip went well. You can't beat Montana for a great rig and excellent support. We hope that you get many years of enjoyment out of it. Have a happy holiday.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:55 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Such a great story! Glad to hear your Montana is everything you wanted it to be. I hope you find yourself having the same feelings many miles down the road, enjoy!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Glad to hear everything went so well. I know you won't be sorry with your choice. As you may have found out, the fifth wheel tows so nicely that you have to keep reminding yourself that it's back there when making turns and going under low objects. When making those right hand turns I do like the truckers, drive straight as far as possible and the make a hard turn. Helps keep those tires off the curbs.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:45 AM   #6
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
Thank you very much- it was wonderful to hear about your successful experience!!!!! It's clear that your new Monty is "all that and more." Happy and safe travels!
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:49 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
How great that your first outing and the PDI went so well. Let us know how the CG at French Camp is.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Congratulations on your new baby jretz. Glad to hear everything went so well. Keep hitting those curbs, I know a couple of good tire guys . Just kidding, I hope you guys have many years of enjoyment with your new trailer.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:08 AM   #9
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I know that the first few times you are out it's hard to figure out how long that rig really is.

Make wide turns and practice in a large parking lot if you can. Some of the campgrounds you will enter can be a real challenge.

Happy camping
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:55 AM   #10
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Thanks for sharing your story. We pick our 3400 up this week end. I have been going over the PDI for the last 2 weeks so I don't forget anything. SOunds like your first trip was a great success, congratulations and wishing you many more safe a trouble free miles.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Sounds like a great shake down! We have the F-350 long bed with crew cab and it tows the Monty (3475RL) with ease. We did a 9 week trip this fall from Texas to Wyoming and everything in between. The Truck did great in the mountains and the down shifting when going down grades was great! I am sure you will enjoy your Monty.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #12
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
Congrats on the new rig.....many years of fun ahead.

P.S.- We are just south in Turlock...the dreaded Valley Fog is in. Have to head to the coast this time of year to find the SUN...
RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 AM   #13
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Great news , what a nice feeling when a major purchase meets your expectations. I too am a long box fan, for pulling Montana sized Fivers. Long trailers like long wheel base TVs. Best of luck in the future.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #14
Geo5Sue

M.O.C. #6619
Send a message via AIM to Geo5Sue Send a message via Yahoo to Geo5Sue
We pick up our 3400RL on Monday (12/18). Where can I find the PDI so I can make sure we look at the important things upon delivery? Thanks, ahead of time
Geo5Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:54 PM   #15
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Geo5Sue,

Click on the "RV Related Links" on the Montanaowners page, it is near the bottom. On the page that opens, at the top of the right column are links for PDI check lists. I used these to make my own. It took about 2 hours to do the PDI, the dealer orignialy said ours was an orientation, they had already done the PDI, but the Tech that gave us the orientation was very helpfull with our PDI checklist. Carolyn went over the interior while I did the Exterior. The dealers staff was impressed that we went into such detail and as I said they were very helpful.

Good Luck and Enjoy your new Montana.

Jim.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote