Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sleep number bed

I think there are some folks out there using the Select Comfort, Sleep Number bed.We went out tonite and bought one.Will just pay on it till the 3400 arrives(12 months same as cash, I love those deals). Got the 5000 system, Queen size, Mattress only. Now I know that 1300.00 is a lot of Money to pay for a mattress but we paid 1K for the regular mattress here in the house and paid 800.00 for the one in our last camper. I have a sort of weak back result of a accident many years ago and I think all females have bad backs.We will be spending a lot more time in the camper than before now that we can longtime so figure it is worth the expense.Already arranged to donate the never used Montana mattress to the local Community care group.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
OH! OK Rich,
I thought I was going to hear the story of the Princes and the Pea for a minute, or you were going to see if Helen could feel the pea you hid under the new matress? HA HA.
I guess your bed is not in the slide like mine, because when I close it it has zero clearance between the matress and the dresser, and if I were to put a standard Queen it would be about 8 inches longer and never close all the way.
Sure hope you two enjoy your new matress.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
We have a sleep number bed at home and we love it. We're going to be here more than in the Monty for a few years so we'll just keep the factory unit there for awhile. It's quite an upgrade from our old the one we had in the Dutchmen so we're still happy!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:07 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The 3400 has the standard queen 60x80 standard. You can also get a short queen 60x76. Helen and I are NOT 6 fet tall so that would also do. We will measure the platform in the 3400 when it comes and perhaps have the shorter mattress delivered.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:56 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Rich, as long as the standard queen fits I would go with that one if I were you. All the fitted sheets fit better and if you are using the bedspread that comes with the Monty, it will fit better on the standard queen.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:46 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich, not to disagree with Helen but if you have to go with the shorter queen (I agree with Don on this one - the slide won't come in all the way), the sheets can be very easily altered to fit and the bedspread works just fine. We have the shorter queen in our 3400. I notice the floor plan on the web still says Queen Width Bed not Queen Bed even though it gives the dimensions as 60 x 80. If the longer queen is in the 3400 then they have either made the slide deeper or the dresser less deep.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:49 AM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Rich, Phyllis and I bought the sleep comfort 5000 standard queen. With the bedroom slide closed, it just does but against the drawers on the opposite wall. Our platform was designed for the short queen,so to extend it, I had my son, who runs anace hardware, cut a piece of 1/2 inch plywood 24 inches long and the width of the platform, I installed it with 1 inch wood screws and installed the matress. I'm a 50, my wife is a 45. Bad backs really like the air beds, (broke mine twice) one operation on it.
Phyllis was worried aobut clearance, but it really won't be a problem as far as length goes, and if it really bothers her, we'll just raise the bed bring the slide in and then lower the bed onto a couple of folded towels for travel, no big thing. Also be sure to get deep pocket queen size sheet, they are much better fit than the standard queen fitted, especially if you have the pillow top matress like we do. Enjoy the bed!!!
Rick Trent
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:12 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks for the input..The floor plan for the 06 3400 does say 60X80 standard queen. We are going to a open house RV show next week end and will do a real good measurement.We can unorder at any time if we have to. I would be really annoyed if the 60X80 number that Keystone quotes is not accurate.. This forum can save one a lot of headaches.
We just shot some E mails out to the Keystone district sales rep and customer service questioning the accuracy of the 60X80 number in the 3400 floor plan spec's.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:02 AM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We don't have the same model as you will but we have a regular queen mattress that we bought from the Denver Mattress co. It fits well. It does come about 2 or 3 inches over the bottom end of the bed, but still fits. The slide comes in all the way.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Hi there, wanted to put our two cents worth in on this -
We have the 3400 only with the king size bed.
We wanted the king size because we already had the king size Select Comfort mattress and love it and wanted to take it with us when we sold the house and moved into the Montana.

Joe cut the end of the bed platform shorter - then added a piece with a full length hinge and some triangle shaped brackets underneath to support against the base. When we are ready to put the slide in we lift the end of the mattress up (it is very light) and fold the end of the platform up at the hinge (triangle brackets also hold the mattress up out of the way).
Hope this makes sense - it was the only way we could figure to use a regular size mattress instead of the shorty king that it came with.

Just makes the corner by the sink (when down) a bit of a tighter spot but we deal with it - it is worth it to be able to use the Select Comfort mattress.
I agree with all of you this mattress is great for bad backs.

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:36 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
How about removing the head board for a few more inches of room..That sleep number bed is going in there one way or another..Rocky2. I understand what you did..you must have the Cal king 72X84
Old 03-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Headboard, unless it has changed dramatically, is NOT going to give you a couple of inches. The padded part looks about that thick, but the main portion is VERY thin, maybe 1/4 inch. It is basically fabric covered something or other, not sure, don't remember it being plywood.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #13
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We looked at the sleep number beds for our first unit, 3255RL and the size was a problem. Sleep number makes a smaller unit, but they wanted to essentially double the price. We found a knock-off on the internet that was made the same way and we purchased it for half the price.
We have had it for 5 years now and had no problems. It's call a Bear Bed.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rvfirefighter

We looked at the sleep number beds for our first unit, 3255RL and the size was a problem. Sleep number makes a smaller unit, but they wanted to essentially double the price. We found a knock-off on the internet that was made the same way and we purchased it for half the price.
We have had it for 5 years now and had no problems. It's call a Bear Bed.
Will look it up..thanks..
Old 03-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with Carol about the headboard as that was my first thought when we were deciding about buying the shorter mattress. (Ed is 6' and I was afraid the shorter mattress would bother him.) The edges are a couple of inches but where the mattress is is very thin. You might gain 1/4". We used our previous mattress for a while but we had to lift it up on the dresser when pulling the slide in. It was okay when we were parked but we decided it was a nuisance after traveling. So we bought the shorter mattress and since we are both side sleepers doesn't bother us at all. Brought the other mattress into the stick house and got rid of the 20+ year old king.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well the tape measure will tell the tale in the 06 3400. I am not happy that the Montana web site says the bed is 60X80 if that is not the case. Now the sleep number bed has a RV model that is 60X75 but it is the 4000 series and lacks some functions the 5000 series has. Rats////
Old 03-26-2006, 06:02 AM   #17
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
richfaa,
Yes on the CA King, and we did move the headboard up a few inches. It helped a little bit. We put the motor for the bed down under the head of the bed and cut a hole for the hose to come through and cut a hole in the back to be able to plug the motor in.
One of the things we have to check when putting slides in - have to unplug each time.

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:54 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are advised by Keystone in response to a E mail that the queen size bed in the 06 3400 Rl IS 60X80 and the sleep number bed will fit with no problem..They do say that the factory mattress WILL come right up against the dresser drawers...........Hummmm..Guess what..We are going to measure the thing for ourselves anyhow.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #19
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Rich my wife and I want to get the same bed so I measured my unit today. From the wall to the top of the dresser is 80 inches. However the handles on the drawers stick out a 1/2 inch further than the top. I know my unit is a little different than yours but are structurly the same. I guess we can try one and see being they give you a 90 day trial. I would think the bed would have a little give in it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mudchief, those are good numbers to know. Removing the head board will give a tiny bit more room. Here is more infor from Keystone. Mr. LaScola,

I will visit the Montana owners’ forum and look into the problem with the black undercover beneath the bedroom slide-out.

One important note…I do not think Town & Country will have a Montana with a queen bed on their lot. They stock all of their Montana 5th wheels with king beds. The Montana king bed measures 72” x 78”. We use a king mattress that is 2” short because an 80” long king mattress will intrude upon the walk space around the bathroom sink. A 60” x 80” king mattress will fit in the Montana bedroom, but it is crowded. The narrower, 60” x 80” queen mattress fits in the Montana bedroom with no problem.

Mark Krol

District Sales Manager
Montana and Mountaineer