Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Fuel PreFilter

After reading about prefilters I felt like this would be an important add-on to the Duramax. This is what I came up with, it took me 30 min. to cut the pieces out and 15 min. to weld them together (cost my labor) . As you will see I used a Perma-Cool filter head for the prefilter, model PRM-81794 (cost $35.88+shipping). I did have to cut into the existing fuel line the make the hose connections (cost 2'hose + 4 clamps $5.00). After looking at the used filter pics I think you'll agree that it is something that needs to be done for these diesel engines!

New Pre-filter Pic
http://i2.tinypic.com/ouv1gw.jpg

This is the old filter that had only 3,500 miles of use.
http://i2.tinypic.com/ouv1up.jpg

Here are Pics of the inside of the old filter can and the diesel that was in the filter, note some water in the container.
http://i2.tinypic.com/ouv3g3.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/ouv3th.jpg

I'm sure that some of the members of MOC have seen pictures like this on other site, but for those that have not I thought I'd share this with you.

Just another note, the prefilter housing is a bit long for this Perma-Cool filter but the next filter will be 12" long and filter down to 2 microns.

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sure looks like a nice install job on your fuel prefilter.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks Montana Sky have you had your truck computer flashed yet? I fell my Duramax now runs smoother now with the reflash done to it.See-Ya
Old 03-03-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dennis,
I got home from the hospital this afternoon. I am still going to look into having the reflash done, but it is going to have to wait until I recover a bit more. When they did the reflash on your Duramax did it only add the fuel filter gauge to the DIC or did you loose some of the other features on DIC? I have heard the reflash changes some of the shift points for the tranny, and also takes some of the DIC options away.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:02 AM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Montana Sky to answer your question the DIC shows odometer, trip A, trip B, timer, and engine hours. On the fuel side range, fuel used, average fuel economy, engine oil, and with the reflash fuel filter life. Didn't loose anything just gained fuel filter life.

Adding fuel filtration is very a important step in the injector life span, that why GM went to the new dual pleated filer. See-Ya
Old 03-04-2006, 08:12 AM   #6
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Is this something I can just go to my dealer and tell him to re-flash my computer for the fuel filter time remaining indicator? Also did I read that
chevrolet will give you one free fuel filter, to replace the original?
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,
There is a recall in progress for the fuel filter on the Duramax. Call your loacl GM dealership to see if your truck is involved in the recall. GM has changed to a better filter and is replacing the previous filter 1 time, free of charge. GM states that the original filter is not filtering enough out of the fuel and is causing injector problems. GM is also changing the mileage requirements for the fuel filter replacement, now says to change every 10-15k instead of every 18k as previously stated in your owners manual. I have mine on a 10k replacement cycle now and so far so good.

Dennis,
So glad to hear that nothing was lost on the DIC. With that being the case, I am going to have mine reflashed so I can get the fuel filter life added to the DIC. Thanks for the info...
Old 03-04-2006, 08:51 AM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Rick give GM a call or go to this link https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/mygmlink you can find out if your truck is in the recall.

I told my dealer the truck had a surging problem and they ran the updates in the computer. I'm still in warranty. See-Ya