Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Insurance

Based on information from this forum I got quotes from 3 companies for RV insurance for our soon to have 3400RL. The information provided by me was Exactly the same for all three companies

1. Formost 1 year premimum....708.00 Outrageous

2. progressive 1 year premium...456.00 (big difference)

3. Explorer RV 1 year premium 401.00 Close but what is with the 708.00 by formost

anybody have experience, good or bad with these folks..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
We have Nationwide my premium for six months is about 285.00, covers up to 45k on unit and awning insurance as well.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Rich,
Our insurance is through State Farm and is 250.67 per year. It is discounted because we have homeowners and all of our car insurance through them also. We had a claim on an old Cardinal TT a few years back and they treated us well.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
This is our full time RV insurace. Our Monty is our home so it includes home owners and is separate from the truck...we pay 576.00 for 60,000 coverage per year from National Interstate Insurance. It is different from recreational use insurance and there is a difference in price if you are fulltime. They will want to know.......
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
We have DRIVE RV insurance thru progressive. Our yearly rate is close to what you stated. If you can couple your rv insurance with a auto or home owners policy you can save even more.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Insurance is a tough item to compare apples with apples. Sometimes they have the same titles, but are not the same coverage. Sometimes rates are related to address of the domicile. Mine dropped $200 dollars when I moved the domicile from urban Houston, Texas to rural Central Texas. As an ex casualty insurance salesman, I can assure you that your comparison of policies needs to extend beyond the Price tag.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Insurance is a tough item to compare apples with apples. Sometimes they have the same titles, but are not the same coverage. Sometimes rates are related to address of the domicile. Mine dropped $200 dollars when I moved the domicile from urban Houston, Texas to rural Central Texas. As an ex casualty insurance salesman, I can assure you that your comparison of policies needs to extend beyond the Price tag.
Exactly..when I filled out the ONLINE forms I entered exactly the same information.We have a progressive agent here in town and I will have a chat with him.The online quote for our auto insurance (exact coverage that we have now ) was 200.00 less from progressive.
We've had Rv insurance as part of our Auto insurance and as part of our home owners insurance.We feel that companies that specialize in RV insurance offer broader coverage.We have plenty of time to shop for insurance. We are just trying to get some input from folks across the country..This is what this forum is best at.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have Explorer RV as our agent. They got the best price for us through National Interstate. As someone else mentioned, it's hard to compare apples to apples. One quote you get will be written a little different than another quote. Some quotes provide disappearing deductible, others don't. You have to weigh what they're quoting you against your requirements. State Farm does not insure full timers. They dropped us when they found out we were full time. We don't own a stick house. Our home is our Montana and where we park it.

So, my advice is be sure you know what you're getting for the money you're paying. And, your rig must be insured in the state in which it is registered.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
This is good information to know. I had not considered the difference in recreational and fulltime. My coverage would need to be different and obviously the ins. company would have different liability.

Good things to know if we decide to fulltime in the future.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have Nationwide for my auto policy as well as coach and boat. They have been great to deal with, been with them for over 10 years. I am not "fulltiming" so I know my rates and coverage is much different then some fulltimers.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by serenity

Rich,
Our insurance is through State Farm and is 250.67 per year. It is discounted because we have homeowners and all of our car insurance through them also. We had a claim on an old Cardinal TT a few years back and they treated us well.
Serenity,
Don't ever let that insurance get away. $250.67 PER YEAR? I didn't have insurance that cheap when I had my stick house and included my RV with my car and TV on like policies.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 PM   #12
Montana_5215

M.O.C. #5215
Huh? I have had State Farm on my home and cars for 22 yrs, so naturally I went to them when I bought my 3650rk2 wks ago. They were cheaper than the the proposed DriveRV Ins. but in comparing coverage, they didn't measure up. State Farm was 650 a year. My policy with DriveRV will cost 763 paid in full. Cancellable of course. Come Monday I will need to do some more checking.

The Journey is the Goal

Montana_5215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:31 AM   #13
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have Allstate for stick house and auto. I had Allstate for my 5vr. I am not full timeing so I would put storage insurance on the 5vr to save money during the winter months. I found I could save some money going with National Interstate. I found last fall that they will not let you put storage insurance on your trailer,you must carry full coverage. I may go with good sam this year,they offer a coverage that you can go to a coverage that if you are not using your tt for a month you dont pay coverage cost for that month,you pay a storage type plan for that month,just make sure if something happens to your tt its at the home base.Looking for insurance is a pain.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:50 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Now that the task of choosing the Montana & options is done, We order in @ 3 weeks.We can spend time researching other things like Insurance and extended warranty. WE have requested quotes from Good Sam, progressive and explorerRv thus far. Got a quote from WWW.warrantyexperts.comm on Extended warranty 860.00 for 5 years and they sent me the contract to review.. anybody use them??? we feel the extended warranty is a necessary expense particularly if you are fulltiming or longtiming. I note they all ask you if you are fulltiming and how many miles a year you travel(TT& fifth wheels)We will have one at the end of our regular 1 year warranty period...
Old 01-30-2006, 07:20 AM   #15
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I think Serenity's quote was for a six month premium.

I have State Farm for my Home, car, truck, and RV. The Add-on for the RV was $465.

I have been with State Farm since about 1971 and haven't had a single problem with their claims department. I've had a few fender-benders. (Not me really but my wife).
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Information that some folks may not know(i did not) some companies, progressive for example and explorerRv give discounts if you have a CDL, which I do, and if you have attended a State sponsored safe drivers course.Like here in Ohio the School bus drivers advanced drivers safety course, Which I have. Check you insurance company. You may save a few bucks.
Another note. We have had our Rv policies as part of our Truck insurance and as part of our Homeowners insurance However a RV has things that a truck does not..Like Awnings, furnace, Stove, Fridge and things that a house may not have..like awnings, rubber roof, converter/inverter.. Make sure your policy covers these things.Policies that are RV specific like the ones from good Sams, progressive Explorerrv..do..
Old 01-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Story..Had our Rv insurance as part of our car insurance through a well known national company. A few years ago we were camped in a campground that was heavily wooded . A line of storms that contained tornado's was approaching a Tornado alert was out We hooked up and got the TT out of there and to a open but sheltered area then took shelter in the basement of a business.We figured that if the camground took a hit the camper would be destroyed.. The campground took a hit and many campers were destroyed. The space we were in had a large tree across it.Our camper was hit bt flying debris in the business parking lot to the tune of 1400 dollars.

The Insurance company said it was a "at fault accident " and would not pay..Why was it at fault? because I had driven the camper into harms way. They asked me if the camper was hooked to the truck..I , being honest, said yes it was..I said but if I had left it were it was it would have been destroyed..Then, they said. we would have payed. We canceled ALL of our Insurance with that company...Check your policy...ask questions... Oh..by the way..The business owners Insurance paid.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:55 AM   #18
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
dannyl,
I thought it would be much higher than that when I ask Diana to pull the invoice. I remembered that I thought we had gotten a good rate when our agent wrote the policy. I had to look twice myself when I looked at the invoice. That was a yearly rate.

I hope my agent isn't reading this thread.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #19
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Rich - We have progressive, very responsive on my boat accident, Couldn't ask for better coverage for us and a progressive agent is close...It really show's what the mark up is on insurance when you start compairing apples to apples.... SHOCKING

I am going to take you up on that TODY in your new living room

Later John H (aka Hemlockusa)
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:50 PM   #20
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Rich,

We have Foremost Insurance for our 2950. Have had them for over seven years. When we were stationary and not living in it our policy was $228.00 per year. Once we moved into the trailer full time, our premium went up to $800.00 per year.

We will keep them even though they are more expensive than the other companies out there. We had an incident two years ago that is along the lines of what happened to you. In August of 2004, Karen got a phone call from the campground where we parked in Illinois. They told her that a tornado had gone through the campground and our trailer was gone. Karen asked how bad the damage was and was told again "its gone." The trailer was in the direct path of the tornado. It was literally picked up and thrown into a field. The pictures show the trailer to be about three feet high. Karen called Foremost that night, around 11:30pm, and reported the claim on the hotline. At 7:00 the next morning, the adjuster called her and was on scene within the hour. He worked closely with her to get the old one out of the campground and gave her a check for the salvage operator to clean up the mess and get it out of the campground. Our claim was settled in about 7 days.

After we had settled, we discovered a couple of other major items that were missing and called the adjuster. He amended the claim and sent us a check to cover the loss.

Our experience with them has been outstanding and we will continue to use them.

Forgot to add that when our premium went up like it did, I questioned it quite a bit. We were told that once we were pulling the unit, our policy changed from an RV policy to a mobile home policy.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote