Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2006, 06:14 AM   #21
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It pays to have family close by.
We have a Florida residency primarily because Lorraine's Dad, Sister and Niece all live in the Clearwater/Seminole area. We have a PO Box in Seminole. When we are on the road Lorraine's niece picks up whatever mail we receive and holds it until we want it forwarded. As Lorraine does ALL our banking and bill paying electronically, I can even refill my prescriptions via the cell phone, we get very little mail that we must see. When my prescriptions arrive her niece lets us know. We call weekly anyway and at that time she will let us know what mail she has. At that point we can tell her what to forward, what to hold and what to junk. We than give her an address to send it to. Typically that address will be a General Delivery in some small town post office that we will be close to. We use the small town PO as they are easier to find than a bigger PO in some big city.
I know this system can't work for everybody but it has worked for us since October 2003 without a hitch.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #22
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Glenn & Lorraine

I also like your idea on getting the mail, we might try your way when we leave the valley. We are planning to head out about March for Calif. and not in one spot for a period of time. Larry & LaVonne
Old 01-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The USPS service might work fine for those who stay in one place for long periods but that wouldn't work well for us because we don't stay anywhere more than two months. Usually less than that. We use Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls, SD. This is their business so they do it well. In just under three years they missed twice and one of those was my fault. We pay our fee annually. It's something around $16 per month plus postage. We give them a $100 deposit for postage and when it's gone we give them another $100 (we have them draft our credit card). We call their 800 number or email them with mail instructions. Right now the instructions are to send it every Monday to this rv park until further notice. Before we leave here I'll give them new instructions or tell them to hold our mail until we contact them. It has been very painless for us. Mail for these fulltimers has not been an issue. It works well, but then we went with someone for who this is their only business. They don't want bad publicity so work hard to keep us happy. We got a notice from them that South Dakota will issue new license plates for 2006, when our registration is due. If we let them know they will pick up our plates and mail them to us. No charge other than the mailing costs. We're very happy with these folks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great post, Steve! That reminds, me... I need to call AR on some specific issues I have to deal with. We have done research (not just on this forum) and AR came in 1st place. We will be using them.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, there are other good services, too. I think part of the decision is what works best for you, your needs, even your location if you have to drive there to get the initial drivers license, for example. It's just that AR meets our needs and works very well for us.

Those I've talked to using the other major services also seem to be happy with the service they get and theirs better meets their particular needs.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I did research this a moderate amount - not probably as much as I could have - but pretty thoroughly. AR, while they are on the opposite end of SD from us here in MI, they stuck out after research on rv.net and SKPs, as well as MOC.

If there is something else that you can think of, I'm not nearly as stubborn as I look and act - and as my wife thinks. I would be open to further research.

*On Edit~ I did realize I am going to have to drive to get our licenses - that's OK with me.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #27
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
AR is in Sioux Falls, 20 miles from Minnesota border.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #28
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
dsprik

I don't want to change this tread but, I have seen you with lots of postings, and can't find what you have for a tv and camper or did I miss it some place? I always like to see what everyone has. Happy Camping Larry & LaVonne
Old 01-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry, C5racer, you are correct, I was thinking of the other guys in Rapid City.

Guess I didn't do THAT much research!

It's been 3 months since I did that research... need to re-visit my notes...

Americas-Mailbox is the Rapid City mail forwarding service.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:26 PM   #30
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CRUZIN 2

dsprik

I don't want to change this tread but, I have seen you with lots of postings, and can't find what you have for a tv and camper or did I miss it some place? I always like to see what everyone has. Happy Camping Larry & LaVonne
Larry, buying a good used tv within the next ~30 days (check out my "8.1/Allison???" thread). 2006 3400RL will be in my driveway on May 26, when Cheryl and I are moving out of our temp apt into the FT lifestyle. Picts will be coming. Going with Rich and Helen to Toledo (and 3 other MOC couples), where Cheryl and I will probably order. We have a dealer picked out with options ready to go.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dsprik, why exactly did AR strike out? I have met a very large number of people using AR, including us for the past 3 years, and have not met one single person not happy with AR. I would personally be VERY suspsicious of any naysaying on rv.net. That forum has a large number of people who trash a brand just because they use something else or just to cause a bit of havoc. Exactly the reason why I no longer frequent that forum. I just couldn't rely on what was said there. Your choice as to service to use, however.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #32
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Dsprik, why exactly did AR strike out? I have met a very large number of people using AR, including us for the past 3 years, and have not met one single person not happy with AR. I would personally be VERY suspsicious of any naysaying on rv.net. That forum has a large number of people who trash a brand just because they use something else or just to cause a bit of havoc. Exactly the reason why I no longer frequent that forum. I just couldn't rely on what was said there. Your choice as to service to use, however.
You know... I don't even drink, which should really scare the heck out of you guys... Sorry, Steve. I am going with Alternative Resources. I was impressed with the research I did on them. Others are good, too, but I really liked AR for our needs.

We share the same impression of rv.net. I was on it two days ago(?) for the first time in a month or so. This is my home. This is my family.

*On Edit~ BTW, your my "Dad" and Judy, Carol, and Sue are my "Moms". It takes three of them and they STILL have their hands full trying to keep me steered in the right direction!
Old 01-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #33
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave,
I started out the Mother business very young but not young enough to be your MOM but thanks for the compliment anyway. I'm glad my kids aren't as needy as you in the steering area!!LOL
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm every mother's dream... Oh, wait... that could have been "nightmare"?

OK. This is the place where you are supposed to pity my wife...
Old 01-31-2006, 04:44 AM   #35
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Send a message via AIM to Rudi and Ellen
We're leaving for Florida in about a week for two months. We have also looked into the mail situation. If you have someone (family, good friends) in your home town you can address a number of special envelopes ahead of time which the post office has. Have someone send you all the mail (once a week, twice a week). There is no limit as to how much you can stuff into the envelop, and the cost is $4.00 for each mailing. For 2 months at once a week, that comes to $32.00-36.00 for the duration of the trip. That's very do-able. The person doing the mailing can also sort out all the junk. Hope this helps. Good luck all.
Rudi and Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote