Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2005, 06:27 AM   #21
Montana_4454
Established Member

M.O.C. #4454
If you want the abc- nbc-cbs-fox and pbs channels they are avilable from dish for rv owners at a charge of 2.99 per channel.you can get both east and west coast channels
Henry

Montana_4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:54 AM   #22
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
No, I just want to hook up my existing receiver to get what I'm already paying for (less local channels, since they are not portable). Incurring extra cost for a few channels while on the road is not an option (besides, I can get locals wherever I'm at with the regular antenna).
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:12 AM   #23
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Jim-
My system is a Dish 500 and has dual a LNB and can operate a receiver with only one coax. I understand what you are saying and have no experience with your system. I can only offer one suggestion.....unplug the power from the wall on one of the receivers, disconnect one coax, turn it back on and see if the techie knew what he was talking about. The reason for unplugging.... there is current that runs through the receiver to the LNB and if you accidently touch the center wire to the outside portion of the connector it is possible to short out the receiver, this would not be a good thing.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:05 PM   #24
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Thanks, I'll try that...
Old 09-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #25
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Tried it yesterday - unscrewed one of the cables & still got reception on the main TV, but not on the remote TV (as expected). Problem is, I kept getting error messages on the TV. Wrote DishNet an email, & someone from EchoStar answered & said the 322 dual tuner receiver HAS to have 2 cable connected from the dish or I will get errors popping up all the time because the receiver can't see the second cable.

What now? My thought is to see if I can swap one of the 322's I have for 2 311's (single tuner receivers).
Old 09-03-2005, 04:44 AM   #26
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
So as I understand it you need to run the second coax from the LNB to the receiver? And you don't have a second cable connection (sat prep) for the second cable. It is not a problem adding another through the wall jack for your second cable. My Montana has a total of 4 coax jacks, two from the factory for cable and sat prep and someone added two more right next to the sat prep one into the tv cabinet. Or you could get the flat cable adapter thingy that can slip through a window or around your slide seal for temporary just to see if it works.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:02 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't be afraid to drill through the side of your camper.The walls are thin and the drill will go through them like butter. Just do a little checking to make sure you don't drill through another wire.(unlikely)You can buy all you need at radio shack or wall-mart.I just went through the wall on our TT right beside the regular antenna power input..Looks like it was done at the factory.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #28
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Charlie pointed me over to this thread, and I believe I have a similar problem to worknomore, except I am powering two televesions through one DishDVR 522 receiver.

When the man who set up Dish Network for me back in April came out, he brought two DishNetwork 500 dishes and the DVR receiver with him. He told me that the second dish would pick up the Atlanta version of Turner Broadcasting, some Spanish channels, and something else if he hooked it up. I did not care to have two dishes on the roof so I asked if I could use the second in the Montana, and he said yes. He wired it up, with two coax cables coming out of it and two more 50 foot sections of coax. This sounds very similar to what worknomore is saying he has.

But here is where it becomes interesting...I looked at the dish on the roof today, and it only has ONE coax coming from it, running down to where the old cable hook up was on the side of the house. I also looked at the back of the 522 receiver after reading this thread and here is what is back there. There is one coax cable coming from the wall, up to a splitter. From there, one of the new coax cables, about six inches long, goes to a plug in the back of the receiver that indicates TV2. The other coax, slightly shorter, goes to ANOTHER splitter. One of these approximately three inch cables goes to where it is marked for dish 1 to come in and the other for dish 2.

I am truly confused...

Did a little checking around at Dish Network and found a pic of the back of our receiver at the following link:

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/receivers/522/index.shtml
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #29
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
JD-
Not sure what to say about what you and worknomore have. I looked at it on the link and see that there are connections for two satellite cables in. This is very different than the system I have and the Direct Systems that I have been around. You might want to do some talking to a Dish tech before you drill any holes in the Monty or maybe look at getting a standard 311 stand alone receiver for the Monty and pay the extra $5/month to use it. This is the system that I have.

http://dishtv.com/dish311.jsp
Old 09-06-2005, 02:38 AM   #30
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Let me take a stab - I have an older model Dish500 and receiver. Mine has a dual LNB (actually looks like two single LNBs hooked together with a little different elevation on each. They are each hooked into a "trans something switch" (NOT a splitter but kinda' like a "reverse splitter - 2 ins and 1 out). I then have only one coax coming out of it which goes into the back of my receiver. My understanding is that you can then split what comes out of the receiver to several TVs but they will all pickup the whatever the common receiver is tuned to. The single LNB can only point at one satellite ("bird") at a time so you'd only get 1/2 the channels. I used to be able to get my local channels anywhere and I used to be able to watch a few Pay Per View movies without being hooked up to a phone line. The last few times out, it expects a phone line and I'm betting it's looking for the one on record !! I got a coax connector to pass through the wall, drilled and installed in right behind the tv in the living room. We don't watch much TV in the B/R, so it's just hooked up to the regular "air" antenna and an Emerson DVD/VCR combo from WalMart. I use a tripod with 50' of RG6 with quick disconnect ends and a signal finder. Sometimes I get the signal really quick and sometimes it's a struggle. The trick is that the pole business of the tripod MUST be straight up and down (90 degrees to the world)otherwise your azimuth and elevation are off.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:04 AM   #31
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Try this page on the Dish web site for a diagram.
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads.../install-1.pdf

I would start out simple with the two LNB cables hooked to a multi-dish switch (model SW21) right at the dish. Run one cable into the receiver at sat in. One cable direct to the tv from the tv out connector on the back of the receiver. From this point you should be able to select the receiver/tv channel to receive on (3 or 4), point the dish for a good signal and it should work. Once you have this hookup working you can experiment on adding the bedroom tv to the system etc. Unless your receiver is completely different it should have a sat in , ant in, and tv out cable connectors on the back.

I have been able to use existing wireing to run my sat signal from the receiver into the ant output connection in the tv cabinet and back feed to the bedroom tv. You have to have the ant booster switch set to off to do this. If you have one of the Video Distribution Switches you can make this hookup with out moving cables. In my case I used the park cable for the main tv for the grandkids and moved the sat receiver cable over to the wall ant outlet to get the sat signal back to the bedroom. I watched my favorite sat programs in the bedroom and grandkids were entertained in the living room.

You can download the installation manual for any of the sat systems and it should walk you through any installation issues. The key may be in talking the same language and the picture diagrams often help clear up any language barriers.

One of the things that can drive you crazy is the dish pointing. You can get strange signals at other azumith & elevations than recommended for your location. A friend that had set his dish up hundreds of times on his RV came over to our RV one time and couldn't figure out why he was getting just a couple of the sat stations. He couldn't receive all the normal stations. I took my compass and meter over to walk him through the process and within about ten minutes he had all his channels. He was pointing the dish with a compass and moving it by listening to the tv signal. He could get one of the sats very near the correct azumith & elevation and kept tuning into that signal. When we set up the tripod correctly (level and secure) set the elevation correctly and tuned it to the correct azumith everything worked correctly. Just a few thoughts for what they are worth. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2005, 05:59 AM   #32
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Don-
Understand what you are saying and the dish mounted on my stick house is the type described in the link, but their receivers are new and different from the 311's that this procedure works with. The newer dishes use Dish Twin 500 and Dish Twin Pro switches so this is different than the SW-21. I have a Dish Twin 500 dish for the trailer and every time I take the the receiver on the road I have to do a switch change in the menu in order for the dish to work on the road and then swap it back to the SW-21 when I get back home.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:55 AM   #33
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Yep! same here. I have DirecTv with 2 receivers and the 3 LNB oval dish at home. I take the home bedroom receiver in the trailer and have to reset the menu to the 2 LNB round dish setup to make it work.

I have two extra Dish network receivers that I was given if they will do anyone any good?

I also have an extra DirecTv receiver that I thought I could setup in the trailer and just move the card from the home unit but the cards are registered to the receiver. I don't want to pay the extra $5 per month for a third receiver when I don't use the trailer only about 30 days a year.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #34
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I did some more checking on the Dish Network customer care pages and found some interesting pages.

This one gives you all the azimuth and elevations for all the zip codes nationwide for both the Dish 500 and Dish 300 systems.
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads...ing_Angles.pdf

This one is the RV declaration for the RV contract (Interesting)?
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads...eclaration.pdf

This may be the page we have been looking for!!! It appears to have manuals and hookup instructions for all the avaliable systems. I am just starting to look them over but thought you may want to check it out also.
http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/DOWNLOADS.htm
Old 09-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #35
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I checked out the manual for the Dish Network 500 systems and it is 71 pages of good information. It is PDF and takes awhile to download but looks like it might solve the Dish Network hookup problems. problems?
http://www.satelliteinstaller.com/My...LL%20GUIDE.pdf

As near as I can figure it is still a one cable per receiver system no matter which LNB you use.