Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2004, 08:38 AM   #1
Montana_2627
Established Member

M.O.C. #2627
Quickie heater questions

We are going to leave Monday evening to head to Jacksonville Fl (7hr trip by car, planning on 10 for the rig) and don't think we can make it all the way (can't leave until after work) If we stop in Tifton GA (Wallyworld) should I disconnect TV so my heater won't run down my battery? How long will the heater run on just the battery of the TT(60-65deg)?Only plan to stop for 4-5 hrs to get some sleep.

Montana_2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
You should be OK staying plugged in to TV. Do you have one or two batterys? With 2 you for sure will be OK. Make sure your propane tanks are full.

Have fun.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 12:45 PM   #3
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
I would agree you will probably be ok, but with a Suburban with only one battery, I used to unplug the trailer just to be safe, then if the TT battery ran down I could always plug in (albeit getting a bit cold in the process). Towing again the next day will bring the TT battery back up.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have a Ford F250SD that is factory wired for the trailer plug. When I turn the key off, my trailer is disconnected from the TV automatically. Therefore I do not have to worry about draining my starting battery.
Easy to check with a test light.
Rick
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
The Dodge must be unplugged for the night. The 5er battery has run the furnace from 10pm to dawn at -3F, Watertown NY February /04 so I suspect you'll be fine.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 04:00 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Hopefully you will not be using the furnace constantly all night, but even if it never shut off, if you have two batteries and you are hooked to your TV you should be fine for a overnight stay. The batteries should charge back up again while you are towing to your next destination.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 06:11 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I, too, would unplug for the night just to make sure the TV would not have its battery run down even though ours also isolates the battery. Never know when the isolater might fail.

If you run down the TT battery and need to use the TV battery, some vehicles, like mine, require the engine be running before juice will flow to the coach.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:59 AM   #8
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Nice thing about Uncle Wally, He has replacement batteries, booster cables, or booster packs if the need arises.

What ever your plan is it is always good to try it in advance once or twice to see if all your equipment and batteries are up to it.

Have a safe trip.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 02:16 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
That "booster pack" the yellow thing you see advertised - some with an air compressor, most with a light and DC plug is a NICE thing to have as a backup !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:43 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't claim to be any kind of expert. My thoughts about this are to consider the kind of demands the heater places on the battery. Since the heater is propane, the only draw on the battery to operate it would be (1) the thermostat, (2) the electronic igniter, and (3) circulation fan motor. The first two seem to me to be negligable and the third is not excessive. Maybe I am off base, but my logic tells me an overnight stay would not be sufficient to drain a fit battery. I might put a meter on the battery to ensure it's condition.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:36 PM   #11
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
The furnace fan is a killer. In a house... 1/3 t0 1/2 horsepower. Lets say in a big RV about 1/4 hp... that would be at least 200 watts. So... to make it easy 20 amps times 12 volts 240 watts.

Now, if that was the only thing on the house battery, it would be a large load, but lights etc. also drain the battery. If the house battery is rated at 10 amps for 20 hours, in a perfect world it would drive the furnace...20 amps for 10 hours. But.... add battery loss, reduced efficency due to a cold environment (unheated battery box). Then, the furnace blows hot air out it's exhaust. Gotta be a second fan there right?? Then, don't forget as the battery looses power the voltage drops, the fan slows down, it must run longer to push the same amount of air as on a fresh battery further draining a now weak battery.

I'd guess not to cold, one battery about 8 hours tops...Then it powers the fridge, the water heater, the propane detector the..... get the picture???
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 01:56 PM   #12
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by Gruffy

The furnace fan is a killer. ----------------------

With two on board batteries the furnace may run one night if it is not too cold. I'm told by the experts that when the available voltage drops to 10.5 volts the furnace will no longer ignite. When using the furnace in a boondock situation It may be that there is not enough available onboard 12 volt power to handle much else beyond some lights aqnd the water pump. We have had to start the truck for more power early in the am to get some heat in the trailer. But our Pair of 12 volt batteries are two + years and 6+ years respectivly si that may have some bearing on things. They still charge up OK however.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:50 AM   #13
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by Random Line

[quote]Originally posted by Gruffy

The furnace fan is a killer. -------#2

The Furnace repair guy (KISS Mobile RV Service Of Glendale) who just replaced the "board" in my Suburban furnace--(two days befor the 2 year warranty ran out) says that with two good on board batteries you should be good for three days of furnace use. Don't know if I agree since there are so many variables involved.
But that probably tells me that my ancient trolling motor battery that I think is adding to my 12 volt power storage may in fact just be a real heavy antique that is decreasing my diesel mpg. Another Hmmmm...

Old 12-30-2004, 09:14 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, I read somewhere that Dometic and Suburban (also a Dometic company, I think) require annual inspections of the appliances in order to keep the warranty in force more than one year. Did you have those inspections or did they honor the warranty anyhow?

Glad you got it fixed before it cost $$$.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:31 AM   #15
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by sreigle

Jim, I read somewhere that Dometic and Suburban (also a Dometic company, I think) require annual inspections of the appliances in order -------------

Steve,

I did have it inspected before the first year was up as I was in for other work ( The famous windows ) At that time it was a low voltage problem. But I notice that the warranty guy from Suburban never asked about annual service, just purchase date of the unit.
------------------

Now that my warranty is expired I will still save his phone number and call him to find the name of his local contracted service company where ever we are next time we are in need of furnace repair. I think that those folks are probably the best source of service since they have to take training etc on the equipment.

----------------

The guys that worked on the furnace yesterday say that they replace a lot of those boards in the various brands of units. So I guess I will anticipate that the furnace will reqwuire maintenance down the line.

Old 12-30-2004, 03:21 PM   #16
Montana_2627
Established Member

M.O.C. #2627
Just to let you know , the 1 battery I have on my TT lasted through what was left of the night (pulled into Wallyworld at 12:30 am an got up around 7:30 the next morning). Wasn't too cold but the furnace did run quite a bit. I did unplug from the TV. Thanks for the advice.
Montana_2627 is offline   Reply With Quote