Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The first year is almost in the books

We are approaching the first year anniversary of the purchase of our 3850FL and there have been some good times and some not so good times with the rig. The first major snafu involved the front entry door and the new friction hinges. Consider this a warning for those who have this same setup. I actually managed to break the door because of what I feel is a major design flaw. The friction hinges will not hold the door in wind and as a result when I was retracting the front living room slide, the slide hooked the door and cause it to physically break down the middle when the door was pulled across the awning arms. Kudos to Keystone-Montana and Camping World of Fayetteville for stepping up and replacing the door under warranty. We (that we is really DW) are very pleased with the dishwasher installation, and feel it is one of the best options we have added to the rig. We also realize that the addition of the Sleep Number bed was a definite winner! Our other primary problem was a Spendide washer that leaked from day one and was finally remedied after two repair attempts by replacing the washer with a new one. Camping World again stepped up and did a great job of meeting our needs. Another major snafu we encountered was cracked panels in the interior of the front entertainment center which were dealer repaired in a piece-meal fashion. We will see how the repair works going forward and will submit photographs to Keystone in the event future problems arise. My impression is that the panel were cut too long (front closet models have reported similar problems), and as a result of movement and compression associated with travel, the panels cracked all of the way across. The only other issue is the phone charging station. We will soon be on our third one after the first two failed. If it fails again, the charging station will be replaced with a shelf in the wall location where the station is mounted. Lastly, upon the trip this weekend to CW for the repairs, the service writer noticed that a rivet on the front steps had broken. They repaired with a bolt which is acceptable to me until I can come up with a more aesthetic solution. I think the four step models have some stress and strain related issues that may present problems going forward so I will keep an eye on it. All-in-all we are extremely pleased with the rig so far, even with the minor problems. We are pleased with the response we have had from Montana and the resolution of the door fiasco. We are very pleased with Camping World from the aspect of management (Donnie has exceeded our expectations and has resolved every issue we faced), sales (HOOK has been fantastic through everything), financing, and relatively pleased with the efforts of the service department to remedy our problems (the service department is improving but still has issues as all service departments seem to have). Even though we had to make an additional trip to NC after the initial repair list was not completed, management made our trip worthwhile and were very fair with regards to treating us right. I still have a long list of modifications to accomplish as part of our second year of ownership since I have been a little occupied with other matters this year. Have yet to install the LED lights (still contemplating a mounting scheme that when completed details will be posted), still need to install the Autoformer, want to finalize dishwasher trim, install sliding tray in basement, finish installation of cabinet struts, construct a slide-out shelf for clothes folding above the washer, add shelf in battery compartment for additional storage, replace floor registers with more decorative ones, and more to-dos that I am sure will arise int he second year of ownership. So the bottom line is we are happy to be blessed with what we feel is our best Montana yet, and looking forward to many more good times in the future!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep almost got burned too Bingo on the friction door but stopped the slide before it did any damage it just loosened the trim on the bottom of my slide a little (CLOSE CALL) but overall we like the friction door it works good for us we just made a small modification and put a catch so it will stay open all the way in higher winds
Old 09-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is a reasonable report for first year . The second year will be better as all the bugs tend to get worked out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Yep almost got burned too Bingo on the friction door but stopped the slide before it did any damage it just loosened the trim on the bottom of my slide a little (CLOSE CALL) but overall we like the friction door it works good for us we just made a small modification and put a catch so it will stay open all the way in higher winds
Jimmy, I would be interested in a photo of your door catch. I have been thinking about something similar.

Bingo
Old 09-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Bingo It is just one I bought at Camping World they are the same kind that came on my old Monty and easy to install about 7 bucks I bought the 3 1/2 in one.. I wanted one for my back door too but I would have to attach one part to the slide and I am not sure I wanted to do that but anyway here is the link- http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y&Nty=1&Ntpc=1
Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Chain on door, or a door stop type that mounts to the door or hinges?
Bingo
Old 09-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad to hear you're liking your new rig. Doesn't seem like a year since you blazed the dishwasher trail.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Bingo it is just a plastic arm that attaches to the wall of the rv and the Catch that attaches to the bottom of the door http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y&Nty=1&Ntpc=1
Old 09-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Our 2015 also has the friction door setup, with two cracked hinges found during the initial PDI. While in Myrtle beach, wind gust sent the door into my hand, requiring three stiches. Tomorrow, dealer will replace hinges , after a minor battle with KeyStone to approve under warranty.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote