Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
softailcowboy

M.O.C. #13929
gfi outlets

I have a 2001 montana 2880 RL. The outlets in kitchen say protected by gfi and yet I can only find 1 GFI and it's in the bathroom. When I trip it it has nothing to do with the kitchen or my slider? I originally had power eveywhere but now my living room slider has no ac power @ lights or receptacles. it has DC power for 2 overhead lights so I am stumped about GFI

softailcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Did you look at your power panel?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Some GFCI outlets are put in unusual locations.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our kitchen one is actually above the counter almost in the living room so look around the edges of the kitchen also. The other thing I would check is the wiring in the junction box under the slide out. There are a number of threads, if you check the search function, where loose wires at that junction box caused similar problems.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Check the shore power cable. I had the wires come loose and and lost power to several outlets. Good luck.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
softailcowboy

M.O.C. #13929
I have checked the power panel and made sure all connections are tight. I flipped all breakers 1 at a time and none were tripped. All fuses are 15 amp. I pulled every fuse and replaced with new. I have chkd the shore power cable. I got under the popout and the wiring goes to a junction box and I checked that. I have chkd. everywhere for a gfi outlet. I pulled microwave,couch,backside of island behind converter,outside plugs,and plugs in cabinets
Old 12-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Check to see if there is a GFI in the slide out where your refrig plugs into. I'm not familiar with your floor plan but if it is like mine, there is a AC plug in the back of the refrig and is accessible from the outside by taking off one of the vent panels for the refrig. That's about the only thing I can possibly think of that may be causing your problem. Keep us informed of what you find out!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I would check the junction under the slider like Dick has offered. It would not be a surprise to have a broken wire. Double check all breakers first then go under. The GFI issue either could be a GFI breaker which should be labeled or maybe do you have an outdoor GFI? There are only a couple in any trailer. Another thought,if you purchased the trailer used, maybe someone replaced the outlet with a standard one. Look at your outlets and see if any are different then the normal.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There seems to be *TWO* problems here.

1. The GFI outlet in the bathroom doesn't control the plug in the kitchen and no other GFI outlet is found. All outlets do have power and function normally.

2. 120V AC to the living room slider is dead. No 120V plugs or lights work.

For #1, I doubt the cost conscious (notice I avoided saying "cheap") manufacturer only used one GFI. So all protected outlets have to be on one circuit. I would assume the GFI outlet in the bathroom connects to the external outlet and then the Kitchen outlet. Of course a wiring diagram for a 13 year old coach would be nice. I would try turning off the circuit breakers one at a time and see if the outlets in question go off/on at the same time. It is not unlikely someone in the past modified the wiring and or removed a GFI.

For #2 the problem likely is in the junction box under the living room slide. Check for voltage there first.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Do you have an outside outlet on your unit? That may have a GFI in it, and maybe if there is one, it does the kitchen too. And, you did check the breakers in the panel, because they do make panel breakers that are GFI's also.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
softailcowboy

M.O.C. #13929
I will be off tomorrow so I will be doing more chking. I will have an update tomorrow evening.I will be taking each circuit 1 @ a time and chking. tnx for all the input
Old 12-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
For my floorplan, I have a GFCI in the Living Room. I believe the exterior patio outlet is connected to this. The other two GFCIs are in the Kitchen (near the sinks) and the bathroom (near the lavatory). Keep looking.

The GFCI should only be popping if water is involved (like it's raining and the outside circuit gets wet). If this is not the case, then I'd replace the GFCI because it may be flaky (I've had a couple go bad, but do it correctly, it's easy to mess up the wiring). Otherwise like others mention, check the power panel. Shutoff each circuit breaker, then turn on, each breaker if it's not obvious. Sometimes these buggers are reset but the switch is not thrown.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
As I read the original post, the author states that at FIRST...power was there in the living room and that the only GFI found in the trailer did NOT control the kitchen outlet. THEN after this, power was lost to the living room. This tells me that A) either someone replaced that kitchen GFI with a regular outlet...or Keystone wrongly put in a regular outlet instead of a GFI... B) There is another GFI somewhere for the kitchen... AS FOR the loss of power afterwards for the living room area...THIS sounds like someone mistakenly put another GFI on the same output feed of the bathroom GFI and this is what feeds the living area. Two GFI's in the same circuit COMPETE with really flakey results. Putting two GFI's on the same circuit is something that should never occur...but is also something that could happen when the installee doesn't have any idea about the dos and don'ts of GFI circuits. ALL bets are off if the original poster didn't clearly state the timing of both of these issue. Good luck in finding this one... John