Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2004, 05:09 PM   #1
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Pullrite Slider Hitch

Are there any owners of this hitch out there that are having trouble with the 3/4" dia bolt and jam nuts that secure the nylon pad loosening up after each trip down the road. I am and I'm sure it is because of the fact that I can't get a box end wrench on the hex jam nut to tighten it up. I have been using a open end wrench to tighten it up and it slips off, so this is most likely the problem. I have looked for a offset wrench or a pivoting one and can't seem to locate either in the 15/16" size. Has anyone out there had this problem and if so, what did you do to correct it?

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary & Carole

cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:51 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gary,
I have not had that happen to me yet. I would say this is not normal and would be taking the hitch back to the dealer where I purchased it. If you cant get back to that dealer I would call Pull Rite and find out what they say to do about getting it repaired of replaced.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:49 AM   #3
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Agree with Montana Sky on this. Let us know what the outcome is and good luck.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:09 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Haven't had to tinker with my Pullrite since it was installed a year ago. As the Pullrite plant is not that far from the MOC rally site I plan stopping in to have the hitch gone over just for safety sake. I'll try to get some answers to your question.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #5
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Glenn, if you would remember to do this, that would be great. This could sched some light on this problem.

Montana Sky, how I found this out, was in reading the maintenance section in the owners manual. It states that there is to be no play or movement between this nylon pad and the hitch plate in the pulling position. After the first trip to a park, I checked it out and found out that it had loosened up to where there was a 1/8 " play in it. So I brought my 2 wrenches along and re-adjusted it to where there was no play and then when I hauled the 5er back home, I checked it again, and the play was there once more. This has happened to me each time I took the 5er out. Like I said, I believe its because I can't tighten the lock nut up well enough due to it being recessed in the pocket.

Gary
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:34 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gary,
Thanks for the heads up. Like I said before so far I have not had any problems with mine, but will be bringing the rv home first week of Oct and will be checking the hitch out very well before I do tow again. Keep us posted on your findings.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote