Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Broken Rear Window

Received the call from the campground where we keep our Montana I always feared would come at some point....the big picutre window in the rear of our Montana was shattered. Made the trip down there and very evident what happened. Campground was mowed on Friday evening and a neighbor reported my broken window to the security office Saturday morning. Looks like a rock got launched by the bushhog mower and dinged the glass and then it just shattered from there. Good luck proving that. I removed all the glass, taped plastic on the black frame and then have the back third of the camper wrapped in a tarp until I contact insurance companhy and RV dealership to order a new one. Not fun and not happy!

fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thats too bad about the window, is the campground going to pay for the fix? seing that it was there mowing equiptment that broke the window.
I sure hope so that is probably a very expensive item to get replaced and fixed.
Good luck,

TT2
Old 06-06-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Call Kinro window in Goshen, you can get an idea on the cost and availability. They may need the model and year of your trailer when you call.
Good luck with it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I would be upset if that happened to me as well! If the campground is reputable they should at least share in the replacement cost. Sounds like you have things "covered" (sorry)for now. Please post to let us know what the final cost tally is and how long the replacement process takes. Pictures would be good too if you are able to. Good luck!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Sorry to hear of your misfortune...hope it gets fixed without too much hassle and without a lot of cost to you.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Storage facilities usually state up front that they are not responsible for loss or damage and you usually sign a statement to that effect. They also usually offer insurance at a additional cost.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Storage facilities usually state up front that they are not responsible for loss or damage and you usually sign a statement to that effect. They also usually offer insurance at a additional cost.
I would think that the loss would mean theft and damages would be those incured by another camper hitting the RV or the burgler that pried open the window or door. The damage was caused by a mower that had its safety guard either removed or elevated to high causing the projectal to fly. and it was by the storage facility employee. I dont buy the idea of signing off your rights, I dont think you can leagally do that, what if that item that was thrown hit a person and not a RV you know very well it would be the fault of the storage park. any attorney would jump at that.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
I concur with Trailer Trash. Don't roll over. Stay stong. Don't sigh off. Go git-em tiger.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Well the estimate came in for less than I was expecting. New rear window costs $314 and then labor, shop parts etc brings the total to $725.00. Still pursuing the ground maintenance at the campground on accepting responsibility.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #10
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
The same thing happened to a Montana where we stayed last winter. The park stepped up without any hesitation at all. A local glass shop made the repair.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No matter what we think we need to read and understand the storage facilities contract. We stored our truck at a facility and we have a storage facility in Florida. The facility may insure their own property against loss but not yours. It is like having a rental property. You insure your property but not the renters property. You also need to check the insurance on your camper. If stored at a remote facility. It may not be insured. If you store your unit at a storage facility or have a storage locker take out the contract and read it. Note..You can sign your rights away.

We had to purchase additional insurance when we stored our truck for the winter at a storage facility Same when we stored a camper at a facility. Be safe...check it out.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

No matter what we think we need to read and understand the storage facilities contract. We stored our truck at a facility and we have a storage facility in Florida. The facility may insure their own property against loss but not yours. It is like having a rental property. You insure your property but not the renters property. You also need to check the insurance on your camper. If stored at a remote facility. It may not be insured. If you store your unit at a storage facility or have a storage locker take out the contract and read it. Note..You can sign your rights away.

We had to purchase additional insurance when we stored our truck for the winter at a storage facility Same when we stored a camper at a facility. Be safe...check it out.
I agree to a point, thats why we have auto and RV Insurance, but if a storage lot does the damage "in my oppion" they should at least do the deductable, and let there insusance provider take the hit for repairs, and not have the claim go on the policy of the the RV customer, too many claims can cause a insurance provider to drop the policy or increese his rates.
I personaly would let the courts system solve the problem if they declined to take care of it in small claims they cant use any attornies in small claims it just the two heads bumping together, and the judge will decide the outcome.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree with you 100% Don. But the point is they don't have to and most after you have signed the contract will not so we need to make sure we know where we stand in terms of Insurance coverage. If the contract says "not responsible for damage" and you signed it you would not get far in any court.

We went to our own insurance company at the time we were storing our truck for A near six months period and did have to purchase insurance to cover the truck while in storage.
We did sign the contract on our storage locker in Florida and a statement that we declined insurance.We did not feel what was n the locked had that much of a value.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
The failure of the storage facility to exercise due diligence in it's operations that result in 3rd party damage is reason (in my thinking) to place liability on them. Rich is right, however, that contracts should be clearly understood by BOTH parties prior to signing.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Final estimate for the replacement of the rear picuture window is $1039.00. I have to submit a claim through the HOA at the community campground where we have it set up year round when not on the road. Of course when I spoke to the head of maintenance about a rock from the mower being kicked up his reply was: "any witnesses?". Good luck to me on any successful outcome from this claim.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Sounds like a experienced practiced response to me ....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fernsco

Of course when I spoke to the head of maintenance about a rock from the mower being kicked up his reply was: "any witnesses?".