Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Turbo hose blew

On way home pulling really steep grade, on throttle heavy...there was a loud "bang" followed by no power and no boost, yet no turbo whine like before when CAC boot at turbo blew off. Struggled up grade at 15mph into rest stop.
Popped hood latch, got out, search reveled final hose connection to intake pipe off. Turn to wife with comment "need socket wrench" walk to curb side door to open door and turn off truck... Uh, Oh...its locked and gazing to other three they are too. No problem ask wife standing next to me, do you have extra key? Resp. yes, ahhh, good and where are they? Resp. is in truck right there...oh, crap!
So...anyone have a used rear center slider window I can purchase cheap? Yup, I'll be cleaning up those glass chard's for a long time. Moral of story, roll down window before exiting truck with it idling to cool down.

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
That is what I call a bad day. I hope day two is better.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
NoNeck,
Sorry to hear of your problems. I've come close a couple of times to getting locked out of the truck. I finally bought a little pouch to put some keys in and hide on the truck. Just in case. There are plenty of place to attach the pouch. I got one that attaches with velcro but they come with magnets too.

Were you able to reattach the hose without too much trouble? Good luck, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
noneck, too much boost, or a loose hose clamp, fords will do that mine did, especally if its been chiped. clen the fitting with asitone and if you can get a new hose for that area in case the cleaning dont work. that is one of fords hose problems I have heard that there is a newer type hose that works better than the early ones.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Once I crawled through the little square opening over the debris field I created was able to restore hose connection and back on my way. Just one more thing to add to my travel memoirs. Agree with the "spare" comment its on my mental list of things to do. BTW, this is first trip with the B&D hose kit that has the massive hose clamps which I figured truck was due at 107k miles.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'm glad I have the keyless entry pad. And I hope I don't have the turbo problem. I try an baby things, watch the gauges real close and hope for the best. So far so good.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The 03 04 6L Fords had a problem with the turbo hoses. The clamps were not heavy enough and the hoses would pop off. Ford has a fix for this problem. Just cleaning the hose and putting it back on will not solve the problem. the hoses are slick and they will not hold.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

The 03 04 6L Fords had a problem with the turbo hoses. The clamps were not heavy enough and the hoses would pop off. Ford has a fix for this problem. Just cleaning the hose and putting it back on will not solve the problem. the hoses are slick and they will not hold.
Lynwood
Thats what I also heard Lynwood, but its worth a try and it wil get you home untill a new replacement is put on.
there was another post about nthe happining to another and he replaced the hose with a better set from Ford.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Put a key where you can get at it with the closed hood and the doors locked for things like this. If some one was going to steal it they are not going to look for a key. It would save you a window this time. They start and steal them with out a key.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
I was trying to be pro-active this year... I've installed the "Blue spring" upgrade for the fuel pressure TSB and the B&D Hose Kit as my hoses were all original except the CAC at Turbo which I replaced last year when I found it cracked. Well, guess need to nurse this location till I get her to stay put but I gotta tell ya...these hoses and clamps are heavy duty!
http://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-power...it1047035.aspx

I've also installed a new toy...Scan Gauge II and set up (4) Xgauges to monitor what I believe are important.... 1. TFT (Trans Fluid Temp) 2. ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) 3. EOT (Engine Oil Temp) 4. BST (Boost pressure).
http://www.scangauge.com/

Well, display 4. Boost has an issue where above 22 lbs boost it displays bogus -values and dumby me was upset with a cluess driver who didn't care about the white truck towing the large 5th wheel, pulled in front to get off highway, mashing brakes because they had to get past me but really weren't going up the big hill...argh, lost my momentum and now into the peddle hard. So...you got that story on my original post.

I've since found a different program to try that I've label as PSI and hope this one gives me some extra range which I've now reset my brain to heed the high boost pressure to maybe remember while on vacation why go so fast up these really steep hills?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Similar thing happened to me. The DW started our '02 7.3L, put the dogs in then went to lock up the Monty. The dog stepped on the door lock button...her purse (with her key) and my key (in the ignition) were in plain sight but!!!! So, I busted the sliding window to get in. BAD move. That is the most expensive window in the truck. I found out that the driverside window is the cheapest and easiest to replace.

I was charged $375 to replace the back window while the driverside window would have cost $135. Now we strap the dogs where they cannot access the lock button. Is this like closing the barn door after the horse gets out
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
I'm still searching... this place I buy factory parts from http://www.tousleyford.com/index.cfm...anchiseID=2360 has sliding window w/o power for $154.24 while the whole thing is $211.86 or do I call my insurance agent as I have full glass coverage. While I brood over these choices I've installed a piece of plexiglass so it "looks" normal and doesn't block my vision.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
noneck
If you still need the parts to fix your truck call me. I have clamps that I made in my machine shop, they WILL work on your truck with the hose that you have. The hose WILL NOT come off. I had a 04 6.0. If you need them you will have them Tuesday, no charge, if you call by 11:30 Monday. 540 380 2683.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote