Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Don57
Established Member

M.O.C. #10198
downsize monty and money

Drop out #3-1st,I thought I knew it all,2nd looking for opinion,3rd I must keep talking to say something!I'm downsizing monty from 3400rl to 3000rk or the 3150rl, because of weight & money issues (med insurance went up,pension went down.Does anyone have experience with the 3000rk or the 3150rl & fulltiming,any suggestions would be much appreciated,thanks a whole bunch.

Don57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
We have a 2007 3000RK and if I were going to full time in it I would probably get rid of one of the recliners and build a desk/computer station on the front side of the wrap around counter. I also added a second cable connection in the service center bay so I can hook up CG Cable and a satelite feed without having to choose one or the other.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Don57

Not knowing your full story, hey, only you know that,

I am not sure I understand the part about downsizing will save $$ and weight???

I'll fess up, I don't read a lot of the Truck section posts here, so, I may be totally out of line here, , but, when I do look at the posts about mileage and trucks and units, I don't see a lot of difference in the Monty units, where I see the difference is in the tow, gas or diesel. Diesel gets more mileage per gallon of fuel.

Maybe someone has posted, hey, I had a 3000 and I got 14 MPG and I went to a 3400 and now, I only get 11. I have not seen that, but again, I don't read the towing and truck stuff a lot.

Unless you get one heck of a deal on the 3000, it would seem to me you might spend more to have the privledge of downsizing.

So, color me confused, again!

Good luck in your decision. Bill and Lisa have a great point, you do not need to keep all the original furniture in its original configuration. Need a file cabinet, lose a chair, need a dog crate, lose a chair, need a small desk, lose a chair, hate the couch, consider a futon or lazy boy.

Enjoy your full timing experience, there are a lot of us that dream of it and cannot seem to pull it off for various reasons.

And, enjoy whatever unit you decide to go with.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think one can down size to whatever size unit you wish. In RVing everything is a trade off anyway. You best source for full timing in a smaller rig was Glenn Adams. I know he preferred the smaller size and pulled it with a 3/4-ton truck. He did this for several years. In my conversations with him, he was totally satisfied with his choice.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We have a 2008 3000RK. We only used the dining table and chairs to stack stuff on so we took it out. My recliner is where the table was, DW recliner on the door side with the original little table. I use a table sold by CW that is sorta like a hospital table that fits under the chair. We also purchased a small rectangular foot stool that is a storage unit. These adjustments work well for us, we are only part timers and pull with a 2004 F-250 V-10 for over 10,000 miles.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote