Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #21
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Oh - it would be so nice to be able to do such (move to warmer climates when able) however, still have to (dare I say it) work for a living. Now the state is even talking furloughs to meet budget shortfalls which means cutting into our savings / vacation monies if they last long. Guess I should have taken my brothers advice years ago and just become a bum like him and I wouldn't have to work (he actually puts in many more hours than I as a construction forman but he does get some winters off!!!).... Oh well; sorry for the digression.

Back on topic -- John and Judy -- best suggestion I have is to fill your tank in FL, drive north till you get 1/2 tank down and then pour a full bottle of the White bottle Power Service (Walmart has) into the tank and then Fill. This should bring your existing tank to at least 0 to 5 degrees gel point (if true #2 diesel). Then do the same when you get to 1/2 tank again. By then I'd imagine you'd be up by Virginia if not further north and should be getting Winter Blended fuel but the extra anti-gel wouldn't hurt since your overall blend will be light on the #1 diesel. Have done this when traveling from south up to Kansas / Nebraska for years and, knock on wood, have had no problems. Maybe a little excessive on the PowerService stuff but the little extra won't hurt anything.

Best wishes on a safe, uneventful trip back north.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #22
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
bullroc3,

In northern Indiana the other week, we had -20 and that was not counting wind chill. I think they said it was nearly -40 that one day with wind chill.

Wouldn't you know it, that particular day, my truck did the same thing early in the morning on the way to work. It had totally slipped my mind to add any Power Service. But, it managed to get me to work and I was able to pull inside the building for a couple hours and then she was OK.

Since then, I have been adding about 1/8th of the bottle for every 15 to 18 gallons of fuel I put in the tank. Has been working OK for me.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:30 AM   #23
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Had a cold start problem 2 weeks ago (fuel jelling? Not sure) Tech said my glow plug relay was bad, and had a dirty fuel filter. I had added Super Service just prior to my problem but doubt if it had a chance to get mixed properly with my full tank of fuel, as I only drove 2 miles to my stick house. MORAL: Change the fuel filter every 15,000 miles. Very important.

Jim
jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 PM   #24
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Well, I'm sitting in Wilson, NC on the way back to NEPA. Skypilot, I have been adding the Powerserv Product since leaving the Sunshine State. I made up my mind before leaving that that was was the best course of action. Truck is running fine. Hope to keep it that way. Once I get home, I have to deal with the chip in the wind shield I got on the way down and the bashed in garage door the girl down the street left me with while we were gone. Another story for another post.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I know the school I drive for uses that powerservice stuff in the busses.They buy it by the 30 Gal drum. The busses are also pluged in when the temps get to 20 Degrees. I never had a problem with starting them in the winter. Driving them was another story. This 08 Ford has never seen cold weather and we hope to keep it that way.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #26
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
John & Judy: Hope you are having a very 'uneventful' trip back north. Sounds like you have a neighbor like we did;(I sincerely hope NOT!! - I'll explain) -- whenever my truck was gone they figured they could park in our drive -- never asked me and I originally found out from a different neighbor who let me know what was going on -- and the problem is they didn't just park in the concrete driveway. One weekend they had a party that got a little wild; 'guests' were told to park next door (our drive) and they had cars parked in the driveway, the yard, and one even in the garage (yep - entered with the door down!!). When I got home, I called the police because of the damage to the house and yard (no vehicles there when I returned); during the police' investigation (asking neighbors all around)this neighbor played dumb; two other neighbors told the police what had happened; later when the police went back and and told them they were being charged with obstruction of justice and some other charges they owned up to it. Regardless, over $4,500 in immediate damages that they paid for (garage door, pd a service to fix the yard (some), plus they got a fine from the county court for the obstruction of justice and court costs. After that they never even had anyone park on the street in front of my house. We moved from that area almost 20 years ago and the house still has a remaining 'scar' from the garage door being broken down the way it was....

Oh well, long time ago -- had forgotten about it until your comment. Sorry for the long post but does bring back memories -- some good, some bad, (but mostely good) with the old neighborhood.

Again, God Speed and safe journeys!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #27
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Well, we arrived home safely with no further problems from the truck. It cried as it entered PA and saw the snow. Filled it up at the local station and dropped in the anti-gel stuff. Should be good to go.

Well, on the evening that we left (1-22-09), a friend of mine followed a car into town. She observed it swerving and it ran up a bank and back down onto the road. She watched it enter my driveway (I live at a T intersection with the driveway at the top of the T.) and turn around, backing into the door. She then left and drove a few hundred feet to their apartment. Friend followed and then reported it to my friend Rick who was keeping track of the house. Rick checked it in the morning and found the door bashed in about 18 inches. He was afraid to look in as my 2001 Monte Carlo (my other Monte) was parked behind the door. No damage to either vehicle fortunately. Called the State Police who investigated by going to the apartment complex. They found 3 vehicles that fit the description and after interviewing all three owners, he got a young man to admit that his wife caused the damage. Spent yesterday ordering a new door and went to see the culprit. They agreed to cover the cost. Never a dull moment here.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #28
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Glad you made it home safely and no additional damage (that would have been the pitts to have the 'monte' damaged -- beautiful cars. People never cease to amaze me -- just drive away from an accident and don't bother to report it!!! Glad they owned up to it and will pay.