Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
To heat or no to heat

This winter the NW has dumped a lot of snow (by our standards). Around Christmas time, we had about 18" sitting on top of the Monty. We had installed a Aqua Shed cover and I had winterized the unit, but was concerned alittle about the load weight on the roof. Any thoughts on this. Also we were considering putting a small space heater inside just to keep it above freezing as several guys at work suggested. I called the dealer about any recommendations and they took the middle road saying there's pro and cons both ways. One individual at work mentioned that with the heat along comes condensation, which then required putting some of the desentent bags all over the inside. Any thoughts on this?

Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
Lonnie, I keep an electric heater in mine all the time, its set to about 40*F. We'er in Port Orchard so I know about the snow this year. This is the 3rd rig I've keeped a heater in and have had no condensation problems. Jim
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would remove the snow with a broom.
I stored my unit near Rochester, NY for the winter of 04 and 05. It was stored in a barn. So the temperature was cold. I had no heater and had no problems. I would be more concerned with the condensation the heater would cause.
Good luck and let us know how you do.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
The truth of the matter is, if the RV was on a Manufacturers or Dealers lot, they would be Uncovered,and Unheated (although it would have to be properly winterized). I live in Central New York, we have had 100" of snow so far (we average 120", can go as high as 200") its 5* outside right now, (will go down to about -10* tomorrow)this is my 5th RV (3rd 5er), I never have had any problems with snow weight (its is parked with the slides IN), With (2) 6 volt Golf Cart Batteries I haven't even charged them since October (they're still showing 3 out of 4 bars, the same as when I parked it). Unless I travel somewhere in the winter it will sit from October to April with out me having to do anything except make sure the batteries don't freeze, and to check that no mice have tried to move in.

It all comes down to what YOU believe needs to be done.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
When in storage mode, like this winter, sitting out in the yard, no cover, no garage, no pole barn, no heat, NONE, slides closed.

Totally winterized water system, very little in the holding tanks, fresh water tank drained from bottom, hot water heater too, you know, the fully winterized water system.

We do NOT climb up there to clean off snow, who wants to come off that thing from slipping on a icy snowy roof. OUCHIE

We have even towed it with over 6 inches of snow and ice up there.

I agree with John, I would worry about condensation if heated. Water in that sense is a very nasty enemy to have. Would think if you feel necessary to heat that you may want to leave a roof vent open 1 inch or so, roof vent should be covered with a Max-Aire thingy. Still think it is better off without any heat and save the $$ for trips in the spring.

We have done the same routine since 1984 when we purchased our first hard sided travel trailer. Actually the first year, we covered with the ole blue tarp trick, tied down like there was no tomorrow, one good blizzard/snowstorm/wind tore the thing lose and we came home to flappin and had to cut and tear the danged thing off in 35 mph winds. Never again. We were lucky, no damage.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Last winter we heated ours to just above freezing with an electric, oil filled radiator. I didn't really have any reason, other than I didn't want it to get cold .
This winter there is no heat in the trailer, and the slides are in. It is stored outside, right where it is parked in the picture below, with no shelter. I guess the new finally wore off. We don't usually get alot of snow, but when it does, it's in blizzard form so it doesn't get too deep on the roof, around 6 inches max. The drifts around the trailer are a different story, sometimes 4 or 5 feet deep.

Good to see another Lonnie in the "family".
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
With regards to the snow on the roof, don't worry about it. You'll be able to tell when there is too much snow when the tires pop or the axles bend, and that ain't going to happen. Our 2955 sat outside with no cover for 4 years in Colorado, including the big one a few years ago when it had about 3 feet up there.

Technically, if you look at the size of the trusses and calculate the span across, the snow load capacity on your trailer is more than your house. I calculated it out once and the roof structure was capable of over 12,000 lbs of weight overall, far more than the axles or tires could take when added to the dry weight of the trailer, and far more than the snow contributes.

All bets are off if you are living in it. Then you need to be concerned about covering the moisture vents on the roof, the refrig exhaust (on yours it comes out on the roof), and the tank vents. Those should be clear if you are staying in it not only so they function as designed, but if you are heating the inside you can actually draw moisture from the melting snow down into the vents as the heat tries to get out. You are cold and dark, and covered, so trying to remove the snow will probably only rip your tarp.

Now your TV freezing, thats a different story! hahahahahaha
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:31 AM   #8
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
I knew I could get some good advice from "Monty owners". The slides were in and we weren't living in it, so I won't be concerned with heating it. I figured the snow load hadn't reached the danger zone, but it's comforting to know the roof will handle a lot more snow than we received this year.
Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote