Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
what you think of this??

algae based diesel can be produced in huge quantities (maybe). It's suppose to be 3 to 4 years from commercialization, but a plant just opened in Hondo, Texas in April. I don't know how it will turn out, but the buzz is that biodiesel produced this way can be produced for the equivalent of $60 a barrel, and is almost carbon neutral. We'll see. I'm forced to be hopeful. When I retire in a few years, I want to enjoy an RV lifestyle.

I just read this in "fulltime RV'er , it sounds great, but I dont know anything about it. Anyone know about this?
Tom

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Saw something on tv about the process a few weeks ago. My bet is congress will find a way to screw this up too.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Algae based diesel sounds like an oxymoron to me. I have a diesel in a boat, and put a biocide in it to kill the algae.

Speaking of morons, bigmurf mentioned congress...there's our biggest problem!
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I agree with you both on the morons in congress!! I think maybe they been eating algae, lol
Tom
Old 06-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Speaking of Congress, I am sitting here wearing a T-shirt that states,"Never underestimate the power of STUPID PEOPLE in large groups! Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
This is a thread on algae based diesel..... it is NOT a tread on the merits of Congress! Please stay on topic.

Thank you.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The way I see it is if this new diesel works as well as predicted Exxon/Mobil will buy up all the patents and that will be the end of it. No way are the oil companies going the let this algae based diesel cut into their HUGE profits.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:11 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"From algae to oil
When we have filtered the algae from the water, we are going to obtain the oil from the algae by means of a press. We bring the algae in the press and squeeze them. Approximately 70% of oil can be obtained from the algae in this way. Then we add Cyclohexane to the remaining pulp. The oil dissolves in the Cyclohexane. The pulp can be filtered out of the solution by a filter and can be sold as cattle fodder. The oil and the Cyclohexane are separated from each other by means of distillation. After the process has been completed" HUmmmmmmm?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I agree with billhoover on his statement. I had algae in my tank and system and it sure didn't burn for sure and when I put the truck away for the summer I also added algae killer in the tank.Where was that articular at?
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Well Mickey maybe you had the part in your tank that was meant for cattle fodder!!!! hehehe: )