Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I wouldn't be without the Awning Lock. I lost an awning in 2000 on my travel trailer, before I bought the Montana.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #22
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
After reading all the posts I decided to order the awning lock this morning. Has anyone installed the awning lock on an electric awning yet? Wilson the innovator of the lock told me even though it's electric the dealer still should have included a pull rod for the awning. Does this sound right? If so,I need to get on the dealer about this.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #23
kaw

M.O.C. #6286
Waynem, you are one lucky RVer! Only a shredded awning canopy is getting by easy with such an incident. Often, the support arms are mangled and sometimes holes are punched in the side or roof of the coach. Ouch!

I'll mention right up front that I'm the owner of awninglock.com, just so you know that I do have a special interest in this subject.

I've written an article titled "The Greatest Myth in RVing---and What You Can Do About It." It explains exactly what happens to cause the kind of loss that Waynem and I had, "fixes" which will not prevent it from happening, and means which will prevent it. You can read it here:
Code:
http://awninglock.com/greatestmyth.html
Several of my customers (and probably even some non-customers!) have posted a link to my site. I can tell that I've received many visitors from this site recently and want you to know that I appreciate it.

Sure, I like to sell the RV Awning Travel Lock---but I like even more to make sure you don't ever lose an awning, however you do it.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:57 AM   #24
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
KAW,
Yes, I do consider us lucky in regards to not having more damage. I was very fortunate that the supports stayed hooked and just the awning billowed out. I will be ordering a lock from you soon. Knowing you are a member of the forum helps in my decision on where to pick one up.

Now, you could send me one and if it works I'll send you the money! :-) Let's see, how long would that test period have to last to prove the quality and functionality???

Thanks for the input.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:55 AM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Some of you may be of the opinion that the awning cannot unroll going down the road. But there is too much proof that it can. Too many people have had an awning unfurl (it doesn't unroll like it does when you extend it) going down the road (yours truly also). I'm a firm believer that the Awning Lock is the only way to go. It only costs around &40 and is very simple to install (even I did it). Cheap insurance and peace of mind. Incidentally, I have no monetary interest in the Awning Lock sales.

Orv
Old 12-21-2007, 03:56 AM   #26
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

KAW,
Yes, I do consider us lucky in regards to not having more damage. I was very fortunate that the supports stayed hooked and just the awning billowed out. I will be ordering a lock from you soon. Knowing you are a member of the forum helps in my decision on where to pick one up.

Now, you could send me one and if it works I'll send you the money! :-) Let's see, how long would that test period have to last to prove the quality and functionality???

Thanks for the input.
For a refundable $40 if it doesn't work, why wouldn't you send the money first? There have been a lot of people on this forum who have purchased the Awning Lock and all have been very satisfied.

Orv
Old 12-21-2007, 05:20 AM   #27
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Which one is the original,which one is everyone purchasing from?
http://www.hometown.aol.com/goldenwgf/

http://awninglock.com
They both look the same but different web sites.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #28
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

KAW,

Thanks for the input.
For a refundable $40 if it doesn't work, why wouldn't you send the money first? There have been a lot of people on this forum who have purchased the Awning Lock and all have been very satisfied.

Orv
Orv,
Please read the humor in my post and especially the mechanical smiley :-). If one were to assume that I would actually do business that way, then one could assume that I would never pay since it could be never that I run into a wind storm, or the device works and I would not know it. Please read that as a humor statement.

I have email'd and PM'd Keith. Of course, I did ask if he would deliver since he is so close to me right now - but, I did follow that up with I will pay in cash and pick it up.

Merry Christmas y'all.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #29
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jjackflash,
They look identical to me.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #30
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
They are identical. Just two different places to purchase from. I purchased mine from KAW. I believe they're both selling them at the same price. KAW gave me good service.

Orv
Old 12-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #31
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Waynem,

Sorry, I missed the humor. I'm usually pretty good at picking up the humor but not this time. Must have been the pain medication.

Orv
Old 12-29-2007, 05:23 AM   #32
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Awning problem solved. The insurance was above and beyond what I expected it to be, or what the actual awning will cost to replace. I have opted to go with the A&E 8500 upgrade that has the weather shield around the awning. Insurance money will cover the upgrade. I called the insurance adjuster and reported that they gave me to much, but he stated he went by his book. That I was one of the lucky ones to get more than what actual replacement will be. Go figure why insurance premiums are so high.

I did meet with KAW in Rockport and purchased an awning lock directly from him (His lovely wife was home doing business while he was walking the campground) But I did meet Keith.

Very nice meeting. Good life and prosperity to you and your wife Keith.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:11 AM   #33
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wayne, you are an honest and honorable man. You have my respect.
Glad you got it resolved.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #34
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I'm certainly sold on the lock after seeing the damage. I doubt I'd have seen the awning flap with my mirrors.

On the lighter side, enjoy Shields Park. Right over the bridge to the South Padre Island beach is a nice eatery - Docks - that has a great view and wonderful seafood.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:37 AM   #35
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Docks, I will look that up!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:18 AM   #36
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Steve,
That was my problem on the passenger side. I could not see the awning. In retrospect, I now use the adjustable mirror and move it up to take a peek every 50+ miles, or when I think about it. It's so easy to move the mirror back into it's driving position.

Ozz,
Thank you sir.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:32 AM   #37
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
All, the place is called Doc's, not Dock's. Middle of Laguna Madre on the bridge connecting Corpus and SPI. 13309 S Padre Island Dr, Corpus Christi, TX (361) 949-6755. If you're at Shields the park host will point out some other places to see in Corpus.

One thing for sure, the wind at Shields is strong and all our unprotected metal chimes corroded in less than a week!!! Waynem, enjoy the fishing there. The crabs on the fishing pier are plentiful and delicious, just make sure they're 5 inches in width before putting them into the pot.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:54 AM   #38
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glad you got it fixed Waymen - and I think you'll like that metal cover to keep the branches from tearing it and the sun from beating down on it all year.

Now don't focus too hard on the awning in the mirrors or you'll miss other stuff. After loosing a wheel a few years ago I trained my mirrors on the tires on both sides - unfortunately I missed the sewer door that popped open and unthreaded my sewer hose out on the highway somewhere . Not so much that I miss the sewer hose, I just feel sorry for whoever was following me .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #39
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We left Shields on the 29th, so I missed Doc's. We had a great time except for the high winds. The toppers slapped a dance several nights/days. I had wished there were a way to retract them and leave the slides out.

The fishing was blah, but I did catch a flounder. Wife's mad at that. She is supposed to be the fisher person.

The hosts, BJ as one, and Don as the other and their DW's are fine, fine people - as were everyone in the park. On Christmas Eve my wife and I bought two turkeys with all the trimmings and a spiral ham. We had 32+ people at the Marine for a Christmas Evening Meal. They all chipped in and paid us back, and put a little in the kitty for the regular Thursday breakfast get-to-gethers. Other than the wind, we had a great time. (My thread, so I can off topic)

Brad - a long time ago I was travelling with a triple axle TT (comercial) and did not know that the rear right had a flat. Of course I did not pey attention to the truckers psst psst'ing at me when they went by, or the other cages honking. As the Sun went down I noticed sparks coming from the right rear. Stopped and inspected. Found the rim worn down to the hub. Another few miles and I'd have ground the hub down. Stayed in a motel and got a new rim and tire the next day. Made it home for Thanksgiving dinner.

I now try and watch everything - Oops! Guess I missed again with the awning. Just one more thing to look out for. I just have to remember to watch in front of me more than in the mirror. :-)