Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
Propane Tank Selector Valve

Currently, I open one tank at a time, with the selector pointing to that tank, when the sight glass reads red, I close that tank, open the second and move the selector to the new tank.....

I believe that I was told if set correctly one tank will empty, then the second tank will begin to feed. Just not sure HOW TO configure the tanks BOTH OPEN ? and where the selector points ( which Tank )

Thanks in advance. !!

RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:RLVoumard Posted - Jul 31 2007 : 12:49:33 AM
Currently, I open one tank at a time, with the selector pointing to that tank, when the sight glass reads red, I close that tank, open the second and move the selector to the new tank.....

I believe that I was told if set correctly one tank will empty, then the second tank will begin to feed. Just not sure HOW TO configure the tanks BOTH OPEN ? and where the selector points ( which Tank )
RLVoumard, as I understand it, both tanks need to be open. For example, if your selector is pointed to the the street side tank and that tank becomes empty, then internally the selector switch allows the curb side tank to continue.(So you don't have to go out in the middle of a cold night to manually change tanks) The selector switch green indicator will change to red, indicating that your street side tank is empty. Switch to the curb side tank and the indicator will change to green until that tank becomes empty. This allows you to pull the street side tank to have it refilled while using the curb side tank.

Hope this helps.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Yep,open both tank valves at the same time.
The one the pointer if facing will empty first. Once that tank is empty the indicator will go to the red but propane will automatically come from the second tank. Indicator will stay in the red telling you the first tank is empty.
Another way to do it, is put the lever 1/2 way between the two tanks... both will empty at the same time.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Now, with this feature, we can run out of propane in BOTH tanks and get up in the cold middle of the night to find out we're COMPLETLY empty. If using propane, be sure to keep an eye on the green/red indicator so this doesn't happen.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Vanman speaketh the truth. Been there done that, first time out, wasn't smart enough to check green/red indicator, drained both at about 5:00 a.m. Easter morning (outside temperature - 25 degrees). 6:30 a.m. finds me at Wal-mart buying electric heater to survive until propane was available at campground (Thank goodness for fireplace heater - kept inside at about 60 degrees until dear old Dad rescued chilly family with heater). Oh well, we have to learn by our mistakes - lesson learned.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
You know, we could learn by others' mistakes (especially with this great MOC group). Of course we do tend to remember the lesson a lot longer if we make the mistakes ourselves.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
Thanks everyone.....makes sense now.
RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
When you go to remove the empty tank make sure the selector switch is point away from that tank. If you do not point it to the full or supply tank propane will leak out of the disconnected hose. At least it did on me this winter.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have been FTers for a little over one year. You start to get a sixth sense about when you need to start monitoring that little green/red indicator. As soon as it turns red, I immediately switch my lever, and turn off the empty tank and PULL IT OUT OF IT'S COMPARTMENT. Sometimes - weekends, holidays, and such I cannot get to my propane dealer of choice that particular day (read $15 per 30 gal fill). If I don't step out of my 3400 every morning and physically see that little bugger waiting for me... Well, I'm sure that none of you smart MOCers would ever have a "out of sight - out of mind" experience - but I do. This way I prevent my own stories of running out of both tanks in -25 weather.

Sorry, Bingo... I love ya man, but I 'd rather read YOUR stories about that kind of stuff...

"The wise man learns from OTHER people's mistakes". (Was probably an MOCer...)
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dave,
I appreciate the quote and the compliment (?????????? I think ?????), but I believe that if can stop one person from doing something idiotic that I have already done, then that made my mistake worthwhile!!! And.......at the rate I am going I will be able to assist a heck of a lot of fellow Mocers from making mistakes. Still learning, still making mistakes, and still learning from them....and having a blast doing it. Life is good, precious, and way too valuable to sweat the adversities!!!!! By the way that should read 25 degrees, not -25.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RLVoumard

Thanks in advance. !!
In order for the tanks to switch automatically when one runs out you absolutely have to have both tanks turned on. What I do is look at the regulator indicator about every other day just to see if the tank the regulator lever is pointed to shows red. I then switch the lever to the other tank. Even though the lever has been pointing to the tank that's empty, the propane from the full tank started feeding the propane lines automatically, before I switched the lever. I then remove the empty tank, have it refilled, bring it back, install, turn on and start all over again.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Just a reminder that when you refill the street side tank and put it back in, turn it on slowly to prevent the safety shut off? from activating.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote