Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Pound the Tires

I have noticed that when stopped at rest areas, truckers go to each tire and hit the tire with a club.

What are they doing ? They do not hit the tire very hard. Just seem to tape it and move onto the next tire.

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:12 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
They are doing a quick check on inflation and loose treads on their tires. Low tire pressure result in high temperatures in the tire resulting in blowouts or the peeling of the tires treads especially on recapped tires.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:42 AM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Try it yourself next time you have your compressor out. Check a tire with your guage to make sure it has the recommended pressure. 80 psi for most Montanas with E rating. Then bleed another tire down to 30 pounds. Tap the two tires with a bat and listen for the difference.

With only 4 tires on a trailer it only takes a second to place your hand on all four tires when you pull into a rest area. If one is noticably warmer it probably is running low. I also place my hand on the wheels near the hub to check the wheel bearings for temp. Now that laser temp guns are getting cheaper to buy some people shoot the red dot on differentials and wheel bearings to check temp readings.

Once a week at work I walk around with one of these laser guns and a strobe light as well as a palm pilot. I do temperature checks on the bearings of pumps, gear boxes and motors.
I also check rotating couplings and other moving parts with the strobe light which is adjustable and will allow you to "freeze" rotating parts. It is going 3600 RPM and you feeze it and read the model numbers on the part. You can see if the fasteners are coming loose. You really have to remind yourself this thing is spinning as your eye tells you it is not moving. Most of the time we do this through an inspection window on the guard. All this data is entered on the palm pilot
and then uploaded onto a computer software system. I am an old fashioned mechanic and I was skeptical of this program when it was first introduced but now I have a lot of repect for it. It does catch bearing failures before they become catastrophic. Sorry for rambling on, Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:56 AM   #4
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Try it yourself next time you have your compressor out. Check a tire with your guage to make sure it has the recommended pressure. 80 psi for most Montanas with E rating. Then bleed another tire down to 30 pounds. Tap the two tires with a bat and listen for the difference.

With only 4 tires on a trailer it only takes a second to place your hand on all four tires when you pull into a rest area. If one is noticably warmer it probably is running low. I also place my hand on the wheels near the hub to check the wheel bearings for temp. Now that laser temp guns are getting cheaper to buy some people shoot the red dot on differentials and wheel bearings to check temp readings.

Once a week at work I walk around with one of these laser guns and a strobe light as well as a palm pilot. I do temperature checks on the bearings of pumps, gear boxes and motors.
I also check rotating couplings and other moving parts with the strobe light which is adjustable and will allow you to "freeze" rotating parts. It is going 3600 RPM and you feeze it and read the model numbers on the part. You can see if the fasteners are coming loose. You really have to remind yourself this thing is spinning as your eye tells you it is not moving. Most of the time we do this through an inspection window on the guard. All this data is entered on the palm pilot
and then uploaded onto a computer software system. I am an old fashioned mechanic and I was skeptical of this program when it was first introduced but now I have a lot of repect for it. It does catch bearing failures before they become catastrophic. Sorry for rambling on, Don.
It seems we are in similar lines of work. I'm an Industrial Machine Mechanic (Repairer and Rebuilder), have worked for 34 yrs in a "Big 3" Automotive Plant, repairing, and rebuilding machines, precision spindles, and other machine components. For the past 2 yrs I have been in charge of the Plant's Vibration Monitoring Program, using Data Collectors to obtain Vibration Data form rotating components, and to chart the trends for possible bearing failure. We also use optical thermometers, themography cameras, and other various devices to check the temperature, and tightness of electrical connections. Now if I can only find some way to take these devices with me when I retire, I could put them to use on the RV.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:06 AM   #5
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Bryan,

They are checking for tire inflation. Next time, watch closer. They only smack the tires that are duals. They don't smack the single tires on the steering axles. Why? Because they can see when one is low or flat. On the duals, one of those tires could be flat and the other is supporting the weight.

When they smack the tires, if they are inflated OK, they will make a "ping" sound like a basketball bouncing off the deck, it is good. If the tire makes a "thud or slap" sound and the tire sap sinks into the tire, it is flat.

It does no good to go thru these actions if the tires are single, such as on our coaches. But, for you guys with dual rear wheels on the tow vehicle, it is a quick way to see if one of the tires is flat and the one standing next to it is holding all of the weight.

Another way to tell is by sight. If you stand back a distance and look at the duals and one of the tires is noticably narrower than the other, and depending on how much weight is on that end of the axle, it is probably flat or grossly under inflated. Especially if that tire is not touching the ground.

I learned most of this from my Dad who drove 18 wheelers for nearly thirty years.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:21 AM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
JP, Yes you are right and the papermill I work at has a large Vibration Analysis group that also uses some real high tech stuff. I am just a regular millwright that does this Palm pilot route one day a week. The rest of the time I am changing out equipement flagged by the vibe guys or doing preventive maint. Our Vibe guys get a lot of off site training, usually go to San Diego once a year. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
It never hurts to inspect your coach when stopping for rest. It could save you a lot of headackes later.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
On word of caution using your hands to check warm rims. If they are HOT you will get burned before you know it. Radio Shack has the IR thermometers for less than $50.00. It is called the Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer. 22-325. I use it on the tires, bearings and brake drums. Sure saves burned hands and cleaner.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:53 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

On word of caution using your hands to check warm rims. If they are HOT you will get burned before you know it. Radio Shack has the IR thermometers for less than $50.00. It is called the Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer. 22-325. I use it on the tires, bearings and brake drums. Sure saves burned hands and cleaner.
Good luck and tow safe.
Thanks for the info and part Number..Will get one next time I am by Radio Shack.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I got mine at Fry's Electronics. Probably many electronics type stores (not Best Buy type stores) would have them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote