Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2024, 06:53 AM   #1
cwking50

M.O.C. #33828
Only 60 volts coming from one 110 receptacle

I have one outlet and two 110 lights on the same circuit and only getting 60 volts.at the receptacle.I checked all the fuses and breakers..I replaced both 40 amp fuses on converter..Any Ideas ???
Also this is on a living room slide out.
2010 Montana Mountaineer
Thanks,,

cwking50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 08:17 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The converter fuses would not affect the 120 vac circuits.

If you do not have one, I suggest you buy an outlet tester. Those can give a lot of helpful info and maybe start you on the right path to a solution.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Ge...212329#overlay

Did you check the voltage at all your other outlets in the trailer? If it is isolated to only that outlet and lights, then I would suspect a poor wiring connection within that circuit. First I would identify the circuit breaker that feeds those devices and check for 120 vac at the circuit breaker. If you have 120 vac at the breaker, but only 60 vac at the outlet then there is a problem within that circuit. And the first thing to look for would be a loose or poor wiring connection. I assume you are measuring the voltage hot to neutral at the outlet. Try measuring the voltage hot to ground. If hot to neutral is 60 volts but hot to ground is 120 volts then you have an open neutral.

If you have 60 vac at the circuit breaker, then the problem is upstream of the circuit breaker panel.

If you have 60 vac at the circuit breaker, then check the voltage at all the other circuit breakers. If you have 60 vac at multiple breakers, and possibly higher voltage at some other breakers, then you likely have an open neutral to the main panel.

This is just a start. If problem is not determined from the above, maybe it will at least give direction on where to go next.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:19 AM   #3
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Most slide out electrical start out as romex wire at the breaker, then change to a S/O cable just before transitioning to the slide out. This is because the S/O has stranded conductors that can flex with the movement of the slide out. The adapter to connect the two different types of wire, is a quick connect design that I’ve personally had to replace due to a failure. Not saying this is definitely the problem, but is one of those suspect areas to look into. Your post was not clear if your inverter was supplying the slide out, otherwise why did you mention replacing the two 40 amp fuses? The 40 amp fuses are typically for the converter not inverter, I’m thinking.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:20 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You might have a broken neutral wire at one of the connections in the slide. You should be looking for 120 to 125 volts, not 110.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:01 AM   #5
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
I agree with BB TX... start at the breaker feeding that circuit to make sure you have the correct voltage at the source. As BB TX stated, make sure you test from hot leg to neutral and hot leg to ground. We originally came from the boating world and loose or broken neutrals were always a problem. Corrosion was always an issue. Let us know what you find.
jkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote