Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
ST orLT tires??

Which is better for are 5er and why, I know that the ST has a higher load range, the LT has a higher speed and the STis supposed to be better for backing and parking
bob

blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is the tires load rating that is of concen, ST tires were designed for trailer use but the quality has been in question. Goodyear now makes a LT tire rated for trailer use. It is confusing...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
The biggest concern is the weight rating of the tire. Not all "E" rated tires are the same! For instance, my truck tires, which are "E" rated, are rated at 3040 pounds per tire at max inflation, while my trailer tires, also "E" rated are 3450 pounds per tire. I am seriously considering moving up to Goodyear "G" rated tires, which are rated at 3750. Technically that's more tire than we need, but I'd rather error on the side of safety.

To be safe, have your trailer weighed when loaded and then decide which tires are best for that weight.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I'm in the market for new tires also and am leaning toward the STs. The STs have higher cargo ratings, beefier sidewalls to handle tandem axle cornering, and an additive that is to make them more resistable to dry rotting than LTs. Having said that, I'll not buy Chinese tires again, so I'm still looking. One Bridgestone/Firestone dealer has recommended Firestone Transforce...as I said...still looking.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
The concern that I would have is what are the wheels rated for. I don;t know if u can just put another 200 lb load on the wheels and not have a problem safety wise. If the ST tires with e rating give you 14100 and the G give you 18750 load rating why do u need this
bob
Old 10-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blarkman

The concern that I would have is what are the wheels rated for. I don;t know if u can just put another 200 lb load on the wheels and not have a problem safety wise. If the ST tires with e rating give you 14100 and the G give you 18750 load rating why do u need this
bob
I don't think you'll find an E rated ST that is worth a plug nickel. The G614 (Goodyear) may be overkill, but that is better than sitting on the side of the road with a damaged trailer.

I don't know what unit you have, but I recall some of the aluminum wheels being re-certified to 110 PSI. A neighbor of mine had a Mission separate, and we checked his rims (3400RL). They had a 110 PSI sticker on the inner side of the rim. I believe he is going with the G614s.

I went with a Cooper LT, as the Mountaineer has 6000 pound axles. Seems they are rated at 3042 pounds at 80 PSI. That is really not adequate for the 7000 lb. axles.

A couple of my other friends here have replaced their tires recently. They both had Tacoma LTs on their trailers (a Montana and a Mountaineer). One went with the Firestone Transforce LTs Tom mentioned, the other went with the Michelin Ribs.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I don't remember where I read it, but the LT tires go through a more rigorous testing procedure than ST tires, including higher speeds, which is why they appear to have lower ratings.

On the Goodyear website for the G614 G614RST, it shows a G rated LT235/85R16, and they say "This tire is suitable for 5th Wheel and Travel Trailer"

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
This isn't an answer to the question but on along the same line. Is one better in hot weather than the other? Higher traveling speed causes temperatures to increase in the tire...correct??? Higher speed plus hotter outside temperatures....

Not trying to highjack the thread, just get you tire guys to expand on the higher speed thing.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Sorry I have a 06 3000RK with 5200# axles, and I now have about 10,000 miles on my Mission tires
bob
Old 10-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:

bob
I don't think you'll find an E rated ST that is worth a plug nickel. The G614 (Goodyear) may be overkill, but that is better than sitting on the side of the road with a damaged trailer.

I don't know what unit you have, but I recall some of the aluminum wheels being re-certified to 110 PSI. A neighbor of mine had a Mission separate, and we checked his rims (3400RL). They had a 110 PSI sticker on the inner side of the rim. I believe he is going with the G614s.

I went with a Cooper LT, as the Mountaineer has 6000 pound axles. Seems they are rated at 3042 pounds at 80 PSI. That is really not adequate for the 7000 lb. axles.

A couple of my other friends here have replaced their tires recently. They both had Tacoma LTs on their trailers (a Montana and a Mountaineer). One went with the Firestone Transforce LTs Tom mentioned, the other went with the Michelin Ribs.
I went with the 614's on my 2008 3400 and got it straight from the horses mouth that my rim was re-certified for 110 lbs.
When I had the 614's mounted I picked up the missions when off the rim and than picked up the 614's and wow! what a diffence in the weight.
The missions are 10 ply and the Goodyear are 14 Ply.
Here's the re-certifacation letter!

Flag this messageRe: Rim IDWednesday, May 14, 2008 10:20 AMFrom: "Missy Rogers" Add sender to ContactsTo: "Jack Craig" You are correct. This wheel has been re-rated to have a capacity of 3750#
with the 110psi. This wheel is rated for the "G" rated tires.

Thank you,
Missy Rogers
Inside Sales Manager
Tredit Tire & Wheel Co.
57941 Charlotte Ave.
Elkhart, IN 46517
574/293-0581 ext. 110
574/294-3239 (fax)
mrogers@tredittire.com

----- Original Message -----
To: "Missy Rogers"
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: Rim ID

Hi Missy,sorry to bother you but I have been told that
the TR6 wheel that you refer to be low has been
re-rated at 3750 @110 PSI ? Is this true?
If so,I should have no problem mounting G rated tires?
Thanks Missy.
--- Missy Rogers wrote:

Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:08 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Good info Jack. There has been some lively discussion over on the RV net board about the tire situation. They say a side by side comparison of an E rated ST and the Michenlin Rib leaves the ST out in the cold. Just not up to the standards that the LT tire is built.

BTW, a good LT should be fine on the 5200 pound axles. The guy here who put the Firestone Transforce LTs on has an 05 Mountaineer with 5200 pound axles. The Michelin Ribs went on an 03 2955 Montana.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:39 AM   #12
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
When I switched over to G614's last spring I bit the bullet and got new rims as well. Not a single complaint since, and very confident on the road!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
blarkman,
I too have a 3000 RK and it rides on Bridgestone Duravis R500 LT235/85R16 load range E commercial light truck tires. I have sold and installed this same tire on numerous 5th wheel campers including several Montanas, some are members of this forum. To date, I have not heard a single complaint and I'm sure I would have if there had been any problems.
The Firestone Transforce H/T is also a good tire and about 30 bucks per tire cheaper than the Bridgestone. I have installed a few of these on campers and have had no problems.
I know there are differing opinions on this subject among members of this forum as well as on other forums, and even among tire dealers. All I can say is, weigh all the pros and cons and decide for yourself. As for me, I sell tires for a living and if I thought ST rated tires were better than LT rated tires, I would have ST rated on my own trailer.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:44 AM   #14
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Thanks LonnieB, I was hoping that someone who had experience in the tire field would respond. I was looking at the load carrying difference on the tires. I have a concern on the difference of a E rated tire as to a G rated for harsh as ride is stiff enough as is.
Collene, it is my opinion that just because we have a higher speed rating we should be able to drive faster. I feel that 65 is about the limit you can stop a Rv without disc brakes. I know this will get a lot of people excited, but just find a empty road and do a panic stop and see how your Rv tracks. Mine ended up all over the road, that is one reason why I try to limit speed.
bob
Old 10-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:

I feel that 65 is about the limit you can stop a Rv without disc brakes. I know this will get a lot of people excited, but just find a empty road and do a panic stop and see how your Rv tracks. Mine ended up all over the road, that is one reason why I try to limit speed.
bob
To me the speed limit of 65 on an ST tire is irrelevant. I cruise in the 62/63 range because it gets my Allison in 6th gear, the fuel economy is good (relatively speaking), driving slower is more relaxing than driving faster, and, IMHO, that is fast enough dragging this monster down the road.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
had to do a panic stop once with this rig. Two things surprised me..1) that it stayed in a straight line. I was sure we would jackknife in one direction or another. 2) the distance it took to stop..it was a long, long way. we were very , very surprised that we got stopped at all before hitting the car in front of us.. At least we now know for sure that it takes along distance to stop this thing which is why out next upgrade is hydraulic disk brakes from Mor Ryde.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I will be going to the Goodyear G614's this winter before starting out in the spring. I need some extra weight carrying capacity (OOPS). I was also told that the ST tires have a thicker sidewall to compensate for all the dragging around turns that occurs in these trailers. AND, just because you have the Goodyear G614s doesn't mean you have to air them up to 110 psi. That's why it is so important to have your rig weighed and adjust your tire pressure for your weight...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #18
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By exav8tr
I was also told that the ST tires have a thicker sidewall to compensate for all the dragging around turns that occurs in these trailers.
If you stand an ST rated tire next to an LT rated tire of the same size and load range, you will find the ST sidewall is no thicker than the LT but actually thinner in most brands.

Quote:
quote:By exav8tr
AND, just because you have the Goodyear G614s doesn't mean you have to air them up to 110 psi. That's why it is so important to have your rig weighed and adjust your tire pressure for your weight...
Absolutely 100% correct. That 110 psi means maximum inflation the tire is rated to safely withstand and is only required if the tire is loaded to the maximum weight it is rated to safely carry.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
becoming educated on all the aspects of weight concerning the truck and camper gives one a bunch of things to become concerned about that you were not concerned about before such as tire load ratings for one. Gives a new meaning to the saying " ignorance is bliss" Just a few weeks ago I was blissfully careening around the country with not a worry in the world...then..I got weighed. [:O]
Old 10-29-2009, 05:15 AM   #20
JMG
Established Member

M.O.C. #8888
I put Firestone Transforce LT's on my 2955RL before we went to Alaska.
We were gone 86 days, went 14,000 miles - and never had to put air in any tire!
JMG is offline   Reply With Quote