Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2008, 01:07 AM   #1
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Help! Slide-out pump drinking fluid.

I have been having a problem with my slide-out pump not closing the large slide-out. It opens fine but when I try to close it, it closes the two smaller slides but clicks on the larger one. If I add fluid while trying to close it, it will close. I have checked the fluid before opening and it is full. Of course, when I add fluid to get it closed, it pours our of the fill whole once the slide closes. Dealer wants to order new pump (at $1000) before even looking at it. Could it be the pump or maybe just needs to be bleeded out (air in system)? Any suggestions? Thanks to all.

chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:00 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
1000.00 ???? Say what..... Call Lippert. see what they say about the problem.. The price is a BIT high for the pump..If you need a new one you can install it yourself....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:40 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
When the slides are in thats when you check the fluid. If you pour fluid in while slides are out then you have overfilled the system. I would hook to Truck and make sure when slides are in that the fluid is within 1/2" from the top of tank. I would then run slides in and out several times. If the large slide stops, I would then bring it in with the 18 volt drill. Then check the fluid level if its not full with the slides in top it off and repeat. If that don't work then you will have to get professional help. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Running the slides in and out a couple of times is the 'recommended' procedure to bleed the air from the lines according to my lippert manual on the slides. If your pump is still pumping (which it sounds like it is since you mention the extra fluid you added is coming out of the overflow vent), It sounds like you are having a problem with the slide cylinder itself so I also recommend you give Lippert a call -- not sure if these folks are still there but gear and chassis used to be handled by Don at 1-866-524-7821 Ext 4548. There was also a Bill Hyphin there at ext 4926 (commercial # is 574-971-4926). These folks were the ones who helped me when I had my SOB's landing gear and running hear upgraded last year. They may not be the exact ones for your issue but they were sure super last year and I'm sure they can get you to the right person to help.

Hope this helps.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
$1000 is too high for that pump, unless that includes installation. Even then that is a lot to pay. When our pump was replaced it was only $567 for the pump and $80 for installation.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 AM   #6
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
I check the fluid when the slides are in and the reservoir is full (1/2" from top). They go out ok. Just when bringing in the slides is when the problem starts. Small ones come in alright. Large one causes problem. Just can't understand why it starts working when you pour fluid in while slide is out. It is not a Lippert brand pump. I don't have the company name here right now but when I was getting model and serial numbers I noticed that it wasn't Lippert.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Steve, how low is the reservoir when you have to pour oil in it?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #8
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Sometimes it takes 1/4 of a quart before it will start moving. I can find no leaks anywhere else under the coach. It seems to push out a similar amount from the cap when the slide is all the way in.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by chieflawdawg

Sometimes it takes 1/4 of a quart before it will start moving. I can find no leaks anywhere else under the coach. It seems to push out a similar amount from the cap when the slide is all the way in.
Let me rephrase; is the reservoir getting low enough for the pump to suck air before you have to add the fluid?

Perhaps you have one of those soft spots in one of the plastic hoses that is swelling under pressure, then when the pump shuts off, it contracts enough to push the oil back to the reservoir. Seems someone posted a picture of one that looked like a snake that had swallowed a rabbit.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
I have always kept a check on the fluids as part of my monthly preventative maintenance and it has never been real low. Maybe someone can explain how to bleed the lines and I could try that.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I had a problem with the hydraulic lines going bad and accumulating fluid in the outer skin of the lines. Are you having any leaks of fluid under the trailer? This system is too simple not to work.
I agree with above. Call Lippert.

On edit second thought. You might have a piece of trash in the pump reservoir or lines partially blocking the suction of the pump when you are pulling in the sticking slide. This could be a difficult fix. Drain the resivoir tank with a turkey baster and look for a small piece of trash in the tank. Refill with fresh fluid and retry.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Steve, there is a member on here that is an expert on the slides; MIMF. You might PM him and see what he says. He was a great help to me when I replaced a cylinder on our big slide.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
At the risk of chasing a different rabbit, have you lubed the slide mechanism on the large slide, underneath? And, could it be electrical (auto-reset breaker) so common to our rigs. When the large slide stops, is the pump still running? Will it restart after a brief pause? Breaker problem. Also, Dennis (mail2us) had his slides realigned while at the Service Center/Rally this fall. It was out of adjustment and causing unusual stress on the hydraulics, I believe. Just some other thoughts for your consideration. Let us know what the outcome is, please.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #14
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by chieflawdawg

Let me rephrase; is the reservoir getting low enough for the pump to suck air before you have to add the fluid?

Perhaps you have one of those soft spots in one of the plastic hoses that is swelling under pressure, then when the pump shuts off, it contracts enough to push the oil back to the reservoir. Seems someone posted a picture of one that looked like a snake that had swallowed a rabbit.

I didn't see a response to SlickWillie above. This is a closed system. It only takes a certain amount of fluid to open the slides and then it is recovered when the slides are moved in. If it takes more fluid all of sudden to open, and then burps it back out, then something has changed. The size of the reservior has not changed. The length of the hoses has not changed. So, there has to be a bubble in a hose or some other anomally that is taking the extra fluid during opening the slides. I'd be under there checking the hoses with the slides extended, to see if there is a bubble in one of the hoses. (just my two cents).
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:15 AM   #15
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Thanks for the responses. I will work on checking hoses this weekend. Too darn cold right now to be out there under the coach after dark. That's why I enjoy this site, everybody is so willing to help out. Many ideas and possible solutions before paying "professionals?" to replace something that might not need to be replaced. Thanks to all. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:54 AM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you have fluid disappearing from your system then there is a leak somewhere. It must be found and fixed! Some folks have had trouble with the system under the bed. If you haven't checked there that might be a good place to look.

Apologies if this has already been stated.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
chieflawdawg,

Since your unit is a 2002, I'm willing to bet that your slide systems and pump were built and supplied by Dewald. Especially if the rooms are pulled in and out with a series pulleys and cables.

I would have to agree with almost everyone that if you are having to add fluid to the pump reservoir, you have a leak in a hose or at a cylinder somewhere. My guess is that it wouls be on one of the lines that carries the fluid pressure that brings the slides in.

I would also guess that, once you get the underbelly opened so you can see the fluid lines, you will find the leak.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #18
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Consider contacting Keystone to get the info on the supplier of the system for your Montana and call them explaining your problem. I don't know about Dewald but Lippert has a parts list which they can provide for you.
Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #19
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
It is a Dewald. As soon as the sub-arctic wind stops blowing, I'm going to start by making a few calls, then check out everyones suggestions. That should keep me busy til spring. Thanks again to everybody.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #20
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Steve,
I think I understood on your original post that as you extend the first slide or two the fluid level goes down. (So far this is normal) At that point the remaining slide won't move out. So you add fluid and the last slide moves out. When you retract the slides, the excess fluid you have just added squirts out of the overflow. This says to me that you didn't lose fluid you lost pressure. This is just a guess but most Montanas have a valve for each slide located at the bottom of the pump. The local salesman told me the valves were there for trouble shooting. If you have a leaker you can isolate the offender so you can maintain hydraulics on the working slides. Then you deal with the offending slide. Is it possible that the valve associated with the slide that won't work properly is slightly loosened and that's where you are losing pressure? Like I said it's just a thought you might check it out. Good luck,
John S.
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote