Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
raucnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #4926
slide out

I have a 2005 3400RL. When I bring the slide outs in or when I am moving them out the power stops and starts several times. I remember reading of someone with the same problem and how they fixed it but am unable to find that post. It involved two 30 amp time delay fuses mounted on the back wall of the front compartment, above the battery. Is that the problem and has anyone done this fix? Would appreciate any input.

raucnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is the problem and many folks have done that.. We have the 06 3400 and more times than not the slides will stop. We now never leave the finger on the switch. We bring in the bedroom and kitchen, stop for a few seconds, bring in the opposing,stop for a few seconds, then bring in the main slide..no stops...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The 2007 3400RL had a 50 amp breaker in the front compartment. Keystone's fix for it was to place another 50 amp breaker in parallel with the original breaker. That solved the exact same problem you described.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:23 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I didn't add another 50A auto reset breaker, just replaced the original. Have had no problems, since. Cheap and fast fix. Make sure to disconnect the battery before doing so!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
In addition to the other fixes suggested, make sure that the slide out mechanism is properly lubricated. This may help reduce the load on the circuit.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Two 50 amp circut breakers = 100 amps. I do not think there is mch protection to your wireing and motor.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
That still amazes me that Keystone's fix is to put another breaker in parallel. That allows twice the current without upgrading the wire to accomodate it. Seems like the fix should be to replace the faulty breaker.
I would guess these are thermal breakers that trip when they overheat, then cool down and reset within a few seconds.
Sometimes mine will put all slides out with no problem. Sometimes they will start and stop once or at most twice before they all go out. If it stops, I release the switch for maybe 10 seconds and then they usually goes the rest of the way without a second stop.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

The 2007 3400RL had a 50 amp breaker in the front compartment. Keystone's fix for it was to place another 50 amp breaker in parallel with the original breaker. That solved the exact same problem you described.
Mine has two but one is for the hydraulic slide pump motor and the other is for the wiring to the fuse panel.
They are not in parallel to the pump.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

Two 50 amp circut breakers = 100 amps. I do not think there is mch protection to your wireing and motor.
Actually, the hydraulic system is rated at 100 amps. The additional 50amp breaker was a Lippert modification. I did have a PDF on the mod at one time, but the lap top crashed and I lost it. That being said, I did not go the 100 amp route, but merely paralleled a 30 amp with the original 50. Works great. BTW, I did not have a problem until I replaced the large slide cylinder; the new one was much tighter than the old one.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Slick Willis is correct that it is a Lippert recommendation to install a parallel breaker.

If I remember correctly, it is the sum of the current across a parallel circuit so the potential for 100 amps is there, but 100 amps is not needed to power the motors. Since 50 amps seems to be the norm, and occasional it is exceeded, by adding a breaker in parallel will insure that if one breaker trips, the other will continue to provide current to complete the operation. After a few seconds the breaker that failed will have reset to increase the current capacity.

I would really be worried if I were to trip both breakers at the same time.

The parallel installation on our 3400RL allowed the slides to come in without hesitation and in a continuous motion without having to stop. I did decide that when I was pulling in the LR slide to stop about half way in and wait 10 seconds. Hey, I'm retired and have nothing better to do.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We too had our circuit breaker replaced on our late 2006 3400RL for this problem. Has never occurred again. I too am very uncomfortable with a parallel breaker being installed. That is a bandaid fix IMHO and one that doesn't make technical sense and is pushing wiring safety issues coinsiderably. It is very hard for me to beleive that a manufacturer would recommend that solution. I couldn't live with that solution.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ours stopped several times during warranty, so they replaced the breaker. That one worked for a short period of time and it started doing the same thing. I now do just as Rich posted, pull the bedroom in and the kitchen and start the desk slide then stop. I wait for 20 seconds and then pull they rest of the slides in. I don't have a problem with it popping if I do this. It is a pain, but will keep doing this until it won't work.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #13
Legend
Established Member

M.O.C. #3135
I have the same problem with my 2006 3400. I looked in the compartment with the Lippert Pump and saw no breaker. Where is this breaker and what does it look like. The pump has a device strapped to it the the electrical connects to, is that the breaker?
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The breaker should be within 18-24 inches of the battery. Trace the wires from the battery. Look for a #6 wire going to a little box with lugs on it. They may be covered with a red protective plastic coating to keep them from shorting out.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Ours was stopping 4 or 5 times every time. The local RV shop only had 40 amp breakers in stock so I put that in and he ordered me 2 50 ampers. So far no problems with the 40 amp breaker. Have 2 50 amp breakers in my tool box for the future. They must get weaker over time or something. BTW they only cost $4.95 each and anyone can replace one in about 5 minutes. As stated earlier, remember to disconnect the battery.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:51 AM   #16
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
Another reason the slide won't work is that the battery is bad. That problem probably won't happen to all of you but it did happen to me and a replacement battery cured the problem. For some dumb reason I thought my original battery was maintenance free and I didn't check it. Of course it wasn't and it lost water over time and was ruined. A lesson for me.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote