Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dry camping w/ gen

Not sure I want to do this, but I may dry camp for a few weeks. I will have a Kipor 3000ti and 2, 12v batts or 4, 6v batts. How often do I need to run the gen to charge the batts? How long can I run the batteries? I know this varies with the load, obviously. I imagine if I need to run an A/C, I will be having to run the Kipor. How much gas am I going to go through in general with that gen.

Just looking for approximate numbers and suggestions. It is getting ready to get into the 90's now here this next week. We can expect a few to several weeks now of this type of weather.

If this is not going to be cost effective with the gen gas and propane (100# tank), I'll have to plan on a CG as close to Cheryl's work as possible - a tough thing to do, so far.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
If you are going to be running the a/c you will be running the genny...no other way unless you have power. If it is going to be that hot I think I would be looking for a cg power. I know Glenn will agree with me on this one. Also, if you are going to be in your new unit I would think that you would want to be on power to be able to check everything out to make sure all is ok in the new unit. Just my thinking.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:30 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave,

I am with Bill and Ann on this one, I think you might be more well served to find a campground and have Cheryl drive to work.

Not sure that boondocking is the best way to initiate yourselves in this sport. It takes a bit of getting used to. (Have done it, and it is DOABLE, but different, no semi-flaming Carol is allowed here )

After the first 24 hours of generator running full time, you will know if it is doable for you or not. Course, we have never had a quiet generator, you can hear ours out in the pole barn (over 100 foot away), when it is on the opposite side of the pole barn, and we are on the opposite side of the house). It is wonderful to have heat or a/c when the power is out, but that thing sure gets annoying on the noise factor. You will have to run the generator if you want cooling, tv (unless you have one of those invertor thingys), microwave, hairdryer, fan(s), etc.

Keep us posted!!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:36 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am looking into the power company setting a "Temp Pole". This is family owned land. Won't have water, but if we can get 50 amp service, it might be worth it. And it's close to Cheryl's work. We also seem to have a good cell signal for our phones and for our aircard, that I'm getting next week, for our computer.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Whenever we dry camp, it is only for extended weekends, 3 or 4 days. For that we find that running the generator internittently as needed for cooking etc, will also keep the batteries charged (we have 2 6 volt golf cart batteries). However, that is with the Iota IQ smart charger installed. Assuming that you have an Iota charger in your rig, I would get the smart charger option. Otherwise, buy a smart charger, and use it instead of the supplied converter charger, to keep your batteries topped up. The built-in converter charger is a slow charger that will take a long time to recharge your batteries.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:09 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
From experience over the Memorial Weekend, running the a/c with the Kipor 3500ti goes thru a tank in about 7 - 9 hours depending on what else you have going. The electric hot water heater pulls alot of juice just by itself as does the microwave.
You mentioned no water supply ... if you both take even "camper showers" and do any dishes at all, the fresh water tank won't last much more than 4 - 5 days with reserved use. The galley tank will fill up pretty fast unless you do the equalizing procedure with your grey water tank ... taking showers regularly won't let that be of much relief. Just my opinion ... finding a CG will be a better option. As mentioned earlier ... boon docking right off may leave you with a bad initial RVing experience.

Camper Shower: Turn water on quickly wet down / turn water off / soap up / turn water back on, twirl around a couple of times / turn water off
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, guys! Went and reserved two months at a municipal park in Bellaire (Craven Park) 10 miles away (closest CG) $375/mo, full hookups, 30 amps. It is a park that Cheryl is VERY familiar with this park. I played softball for 20 years there in mens leagues - as well as played my senior year of football there, before they built the new field. All our kids played little league and then high school softball (daughters) and baseball (sons) at this park. We have spent years in this park. We lived 2 miles away from this CG for 15 years. Cheryl will be very comfortable in these surroundings. This will give us a good start to our new life. Good to have you guys around to bounce ideas off of. Thanks!

I could see Cheryl perk up today when I told her I had made the reservations there.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:19 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
NOW YA ARE TALKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:46 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just didn't want to spend the $750... but that's just the "guy thing" I have to overcome to ensure my best friend's (wife) happiness. I believe she's worth it. =)

She has that refreshing child-like glow and enthusiasm that I love to see. Makes all the things I go through worth it... Well worth it.