Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2006, 06:04 AM   #1
Retread
Established Member

M.O.C. #4969
refrigerator space

Hello: I'm new to this forum and would like to see how others deal with the small space we have in the frig. Has anyone bought one of those "college dorm room" frigerators to supplement what is in the RV? I've thought about getting one and setting it up outside to store things in it when I have a large casserole or some such thing in the RV frig! Any thoughts? Louise

Retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:11 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
That can work and I know quite a few folks using them when at extended stays but be aware that those refrigs are 110 volt and will not work when the rig isn't hooked up to shore power.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Some have done that Louise. Some campgrounds frown on it, but, many do not, have to play it by ear. Some have small friges in their washer/dryer closet. We use a 12 volt cooler sometimes for extra drinks, water, pop, etc. But, usually ONLY when we are at the lake, other wise, we are too lazy to be bothered with it. The frig thing, I hope I am past my years of carrying a frig in and out of a camper, HAHA, been there, done that, they can be clumsy to tote around and I don't wanna any more. Call me lazy! HA HA

We have learned to manage with the frig storage, can get about 1 weeks worth of food in there, just cannot have a case of pop in there too!

Others will happen along with their solutions to this dilema.

Enjoy that new rig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
We don't make big casseroles when we're out with Monty. You could make 2 smaller ones and stack on top of each other or put one in freezer. We are looking for a relaxing time when we are out, so unless we're having company, we never make a casserole thats too large! Grocery shopping once a week also helps. Also, if you make a large casserole, you can freeze whats left after the meal in zip lock freezer bags. Just my thoughts.

Nita
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with what Nita said about the zip lock bags. We use them instead of tupperware type containers. You can stack a lot of bags on top of each other and also use them in the door of the freezer where the juice cans would go. With just the two of us, we usually have enough room in the frig. We keep extra sodas, water, wine etc. somewhere else until we run out of cold ones. I'm like Carol, I hope with a super unit like the Monty, I am done tote around coolers and getting ice. We had a smaller frig in our other unit so I guess we got use to it and this seems generous.
Happy trails...............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Hi Louise, I have the small college dorm size frig.sitting at the end of my counter. I just love it I keep all my water and drinks in it and the small little freezer comes in handy for freezing small items. It has the deep drawer at the bottom that I keep onions and potatoe's in.OH BY THE WAY, Welcome to the forum we look forward to hearing from you more often.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
WE use a Coleman AC/DC cooler for those times when extra family will be at the lake. I thought we were done with carrying in/out coolers when we got the big 8 cu. fridge with the Monty too but I guess not! I wonder if the new larger fridge option makes much difference, but of course that comes with a bigger cost as well.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #8
labouttejr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5936
Our first trailer had a refg. smaller then our monty, with that we really learned how to pack thing for about a week and 1/2 of food.
Zip lock bags.
Only putting a couple of drinks in at a time (as you take a cold one out put a new one in).
Usesing the freezer for meats etc. only take they out when ready to cook. (hot water or the mico deforst fast).
Only cooking what you can eat at that time, so you do not have to store left overs.
labouttejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #9
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
We use a small dorm frige on our vacation or if we are doing a weekend with a group. Not so much to save space inside, but more to keep the traffic inside the 5er to minimum. We also use a portable ice maker to free up freezer space (make all the ice we need for a meal in under 30 minutes).
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:35 AM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We've also learned to downsize when it comes to items in/for the refrig. I try not to cook larger quantities than we will eat for one meal, and buy less so that what I do buy will fit in the refrig. We just bought a portable ice maker to serve double duty - house and Montana so I don't have to worry about making ice cubes. And also use zip lock bags as they take up less space.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #11
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Louise,
I just purchased a small, upright freezer made by Avanti. It is 33 1/2 tall, by 20 wide and 20 deep. It will fit perfectly in our dining room slide after we remove one chair. We are planning on using the top space for our espresso machine, i.e. extra counter space. We will be living in our unit this August and need the extra freezer space for the wild game we will take with us.
Welcome to the forum!
tara
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #12
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Louise,
We recently installed a 1 1/2 cu. freezer in our basement, that has helped us tremendously. You just need to adjust your cooking habits to cook only what you will eat in one meal, so you have no left overs, unless you plan on freezing them, which is why we have the freezer. We originally wanted another fridge/freezer unit, but that was not cost effective and took up too much room. The freezer is working out great.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:47 AM   #13
Bob and Sheri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #347
If you don't like the idea of using ziplock bags, be sure to use square containers. They take up much less room in the fridge!
Bob and Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:11 AM   #14
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Bob & Sheri - I like to use the square containers too. I have some that are like 6" square and 2" deep. They hold quite a bit actually and they stack real nice and never tip over.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote