Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2015, 06:26 AM   #1
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
speakers tied into dish tv receiver

We have the factory installed surround sound speakers which works with the DVD player when watching a movie. When watching regular the sound only comes from the TV. NOW we have added a DISH TV tailgator and VIP211z receiver.

?? is there a way to tie the speakers into the dish receiver that we hear the TV sound thru the surround speakers??
should we have the DISH TV receiver thru/into the DVD receiver before the TV ??

THANKS

Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Joe,

There are 2 ways.
One is to use the HDMI port. If your surround/DVD player has an HDMI input, run the HDMI out from your 211z to it. HDMI sends both audio and video. Some surround/DVD players do not have an HDMI in, so your second option is:

Take the optical cable out from the TV and run it to your surround/DVD player. Set your surround/DVD to DI or digital input and you should have surround sound. Don't forget to turn off your TV speakers.

Hope that helps.

Ken

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Check to see if your TV has an audio output connection and if your surround sound system has an audio input connection. If so you can connect the two and drive the sound system directly from the TV whether you are using sat, cable, or antenna. Doesn't give full 5.1 surround sound, but definitely better than the TV speakers. On mine I turn on the TV, turn on the sound system, select aux input, and get the TV sound thru the sound system. I turn the TV volume low and the sound system volume to a comfortable level.

To get 5.1 surround sound from the Dish receiver you would need a sound system with HDMI input (to connect to the Dish receiver HDMI output) and an HDMI output (to connect to the TV). But then I think you would need a separate DVD player.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Bill,
If he has an optical output on the TV and optical input on his surround, he will get 5.1. Otherwise, if he uses the analog out (RCA left and right), your correct, no 5.1. Not sure if his model Montana had the optical cable pulled but my 3455 did. We did this install on another 3455 at a recent rally using the optical cable. If I recall, he had to pull a new optical line.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I didn't realize the newer models were coming with those features. A little surprised they did not put more basic units in them.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The 2011 models had HDMI. With the HDMI cable from the satellite to the dvd/receiver, select Aux, and you should have surround sound. I am fairly certain you have the Samsung DVD/Receiver combo.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
THanks for the advice, only problem the DVD/receiver is behind the cabinet facing and there is no way to get to or turn it to get to the plugs in the back. No way to reach in there . The unit must have been placed before the facing was put on. I have checked for screws to take the facing off. Help. Any suggestions.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mine is different model and older so don't know if this will help or not. Mine is mounted in a narrow slot in the cabinet with very little room around the opening. The DVD/sound system sits in a plastic "tray" and is held in place by 2 Velcro straps, one each side, that go over the top and latch to each other. I can just barely get my fingers in enough (and my hands are small) to separate the Velcro and pull the unit out the front.

Hard to believe they would build the cabinet around it, but little surprises me any more. The facing members on my cabinets are attached by pocket screws on the back side. Not easily accessible.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #9
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
BB in TX
Appears to be the same install but the unit will not slide out the wood frame - the opening is not wide enough. And the storage area is not deep enough to turn the receiver around or side wise. There is a speaker unit mounted above the wood framing.