Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
sechternkamp

M.O.C. #25453
Question Light switch locations

Hi, my name is Scott, model 3730FL, and I was wondering why the ceiling and the accent light switch in located in the panel box and not the on the wall like the rest of the light switches. Same with he bathroom switch, its behind the sink faucet, not next to the fan and/or receptacle located next to the door like normal?

If this is considered a "full time living unit" then why do I only have a 6gal hot water tank, when larger tanks are available?

The central vac is a nice touch, but the hose is really heavy and strong, and with no beater brush. Meaning its difficult to pull around, there's too much resistance. I have opted to purchase a separate vac to preform a easier and better job.

I'm also wondering why the window shade side skirts are 4" deep. That takes up a lot of room from the walls/hallway. They look very nice and beafy but 2" will work the same and in a already tight space would give literately the feeling of more space. As a custom cabinet maker I have to help design the most efficient spaces possible.

Lastly, the air conditioner is a nice touch for the bedroom, may I suggest in addition a ceiling vent/fan as well. I really like the other three I have, there powerful and extremely quiet.

P.S. I plan to build a new island in the kitchen to accept a 18" dishwasher, could I have custom size drawer/door fronts made and stained to match my existing cabinets? I look forward to your reply.

Thank you, Scott Echternkamp

sechternkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Scott,

Welcome to the forum.

Can't help a lot with why things were designed the way they are. While there are several folks that full time in Montanas, I would not say they are designed as full time units.

I am surprised you have a 6 gallon water heater, most of the other units have a 12 gallon tank. Most of us are not happy with the built in vacuum and use a stick vac instead.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
These are issues one must consider prior to purchasing. Such inconveniences in rv's are the result of saving money during assembly. You will find many more. Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! Besides trying to save money on construction there is also the problem that all of us have different ideas of how we want our rig set up. Many of us, particularly those who full time, spend a good deal of time rebuilding our rigs the way we would like them. In our rig we have four different lighting options with wall switches besides the three options we have in the control pannel so we aren't bothered by that. Since we're a front bedroom we use a small dual power fan on the dresser since I'd hit my head on a ceiling fan over the bed. Since where we spend out time it's very hot we installed a third AC and set it up so all three can run at the same time. A number of years ago, one of our members took out the stove they never used and put a dishwasher and a counter top electric range in it's place. Basically, we buy the unit as a base, and build on it from there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Welcome to the forum! Besides trying to save money on construction there is also the problem that all of us have different ideas of how we want our rig set up. Many of us, particularly those who full time, spend a good deal of time rebuilding our rigs the way we would like them. In our rig we have four different lighting options with wall switches besides the three options we have in the control pannel so we aren't bothered by that. Since we're a front bedroom we use a small dual power fan on the dresser since I'd hit my head on a ceiling fan over the bed. Since where we spend out time it's very hot we installed a third AC and set it up so all three can run at the same time. A number of years ago, one of our members took out the stove they never used and put a dishwasher and a counter top electric range in it's place. Basically, we buy the unit as a base, and build on it from there.
Dick you are able to run 3 ac's on 50amp service.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:50 PM   #6
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
the water heater listed on a 2019 shows 12 gallons which is plenty for 2 people. are you sure it is a smaller heater?

as for the other things, RV layouts are sometimes made with no logic. Just enjoy and modify as much as you can.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:51 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Unless someone replaced your water heater, that 2018 3730fl came with a 12 gallon water heater. Since there are no wiring diagrams, or at least none are provided with the rigs to owners, placement of switches is whatever is easiest and probably the least expensive. Once you get used to the rig, you won’t even have to think about where a particular switch is located. We had grandkids spending the night with us a couple years ago, and we had turned on the ceiling lights with the switch on the wall at the very rear of the living room. The following night after they had left I turned on the switch and none of the lights would come on. After much detective work, I guess they had used a broom to switch the rocker switch off on each of the individual lights. I make sure now to advise visitors where all the switches are if they stay with us.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:22 AM   #8
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I believe Montana has our health at heart when they place the light switches... like get off your duff and move! On my trailer the recliners are on the back wall and so are the rear light switches. There is no way, when sitting in the recliners you are going to turn those lights on without getting up and leaning over the chair. Or how about the light over the dining table, a knob stuck up inside the shade that you must twist and contort your body to reach. Great stretching exercise, I replaced my knob with a pull chain. And lastly, why in god’s name would you put the main living room switch inside the control cabinet??