Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
They disappointed me.

La Crosse Technologies make a nice little 4" X 3.75" digital thermometer to adhere to the outside of your window. It lets you read it through the glass. It records the high and low of the day and auto resets. Runs off a AAA battery. It is weather resistant, but not weather proof.

It rained here hard and the screen went blank, so I took it apart to dry it to get it going again. I have done it before. However, this time I managed to break the tiny thermistor wires at the solder point. I emailed La Crosse asking for the site on their circuit board to re-solder the wires. They refused to tell me saying that it was proprietary information. Further they sent me a phone number for ordering a new unit.

I got out the magnifier and figured it out, re-soldered the wires and shazam, it works like new. I then sent them an email expressing my ire and disappointment with their public relations destroying customer service protocol. As far as I am concerned, it would be like Maytag selling you a washing machine and telling you to buy a new one because the drive belt broke.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
I agree.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Seems something sold to be used outside should be weather proof in the first place instead of just weather resistant.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We use one of the atomic clocks which re-sets itself every night whenever it picks up the signal from Colorado. I placed the sensor unit for the outside thermometer in the pin box. I attached it using Velcro in such a way that most of it is not touching the pin box frame itself. This seems to work well for us.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Way to go Stiles, you are your own warranty in this case.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We have 2 atomic clocks with one being a weather station too. One exterior module is in the main storage bay attached by Velcro and the other in the front bay. They work well. Dianna wanted the outdoor reading to be really handy for her, so it is positioned on the window right by her recliner.

Although the others are very visible for me, her limited vision would require her to move closer to the clocks to see the temperature reading. Why do we have 2 atomic clocks? The first one we had stopped working, so I bought a new one on sale. I started messing with the old one and it started working, so.......Dianna retired from NASA where double redundancy is the game of the day.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
I am with BB TX.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote