Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Landing gear and slide questions

This afternoon we moved our Mountaineer 5er from our river lot to a shop to have a rear hitch installed. When we got to the shop Sallie was running the landing gear down and it just quit working just as it took some of the pressure off the truck. Fortunately it was high enough so I could get the truck out. When we push the switch nothing happens. I see that there is a place by the road side propane tank for possibly lifting/lowering the trailer manually. Am I correct in this assumption. If so what do I use to operate it?

While inspecting the landing gear I also noticed a lot of hydraulic fluid under the pump. I haven't had time to investigate the source of the fluid but when the slides were retracted they worked like they should. Has anyone had this problem and if so what was the cause?

I just can't believe that all this would happen on a 20 mile trip. This is just the second time we have moved the trailer since we bought it in March.

Ideas are appreciated. Thank you

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Sounds to me like a fuse went. You might try following the wiring until you find the inline fuse. Replace it and you should be okay. If I remember right it is a 30A fuse.

You may need to replace some of the fluid in your pump. When the slides are in it should be about 1/2 inch from the top of the resovior (sp). I filled mine and then marked it; ran the slides out and then marked that location. Now I can tell if the fluid is low whether the slide is in or out.

I hope this helps.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:14 AM   #3
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
The other thing I would add to what Mike said is to check the fluid lines coming off the slide pump. Mine were damp/sweating so I tightened them. It took a quart of fluid to fill my reservoir, then I marked it like Mike said so I have a reference from now on.

The 30 amp fuse kind of hides in a black rubber bulge on the wire which is inside of plastic wire insulating tubing between my slide 50 amp circuit breaker and the landing gear motor. I never noticed it until I was replacing the 50 amp circuit breaker.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The crank that lowers your spare tire down also works the landing gear. You open your propane door and you will see where to attach the hand crank. However most likely it is the fuse that has blown.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:15 AM   #5
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Unfortunately it has been my experience (and Lisa's) that the system is very unforgiving if you try and raise the front end too far. as soon as you begin to pull up on the hitch and try and lift the truck the fuse blows. It is tough to tell when the bed of the truck stops rising due to the hitch weight being lifted and switched to being lifted by the landing gear. We have tried the 10 minute tech trick of using a paint stirrer between the kingpin and the hitch and IF you set it in the right place it works. The fact that you could drive the truck out from underneath the 5er suggests the front of the montana was raised too high and the fuse blew. Being able to better watch the interface between the kingpin and the hitch was one of the reasons I did the mod to my landing gear controller.....I can "test" the weight on the truck by pushing on it (normally side to side) to see if the kingpin and truck can move independently indicating that the weight is off of the hitch.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It really sounds like the fuse. It's in-line from the switch to the battery. Some require 30 amp, others 40 amp.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Wow!! I never expected so many responses and all suggest the same thing. I will check for a loose fitting on the slide pump and will check for the fuse for the landing gear. Looks like I'll have to buy a box of fuses when I find out what the amperage is.

Thank you to all that responded I sure appreciate the help. I will let you know what the outcome is.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
The same thing happened to me on the first trip. I used the hand crank to raise it enough to get the truck out what a pain!! The next day I called the dealer and he asked if I had checked the fuse? My response was what fuse? He told me where it was and lo and behold the fuse was blown. Uses a 30 amp. I know have a passel of them.

I think I will make one of those remote switches this weekend. So glad I belong to this club and search the forums all the time.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Update. The fuse was inside the wire loom. That is a very clever hiding place. I guess nobody will be able to find it and steal my fuse. All is well with the landing gear and the trailer is once again parked on our river lot.

All the hydraulic fluid was cleaned up and the slides were run in and out several times and no leak was observed. After sitting all day at the welding shop a small drip was noticed on the bottom of the pump. Apparently there is a gasket or O ring that is leaking and after four months of sitting the puddle of fluid became obvious. It leaked about a cup and a half in the four months. Looks like a trip to a dealer is in order.

Thanks again to all who responded to my cry for help.

Mike