Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
derfr
Established Member

M.O.C. #4953
Mountaineer bike rack

The new Mountaineers come with a bike rack area on an extendable rear bumper. I find the vertical support pole very flimsy and am hesitant to attach a bike to it. As well the extended bumper seems like it is likely to catch on curb ramps into fuel stations. What is the experience with others using this bike rack? How do you attach your bike for secure support. Does the rear bumper now drag going through small dips? Is this a worthwhile feature?

derfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
I wonder if it would drag. My Mountaineer 335rlbs drags easily if I'm not careful. I wouldn't want to loose even an inch of space between the bumper and the ground.
Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900

derfr, This thread was discussed here a little.. http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~12551.asp
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
derfr
Established Member

M.O.C. #4953
Thanks for the reference. I read the thread and received a response from Champ203. This has helped, but I still feel uncomfortable with using this extended bumper platform for two reasons: the long, low extension of the bumper; and the lack of a genuine support for the bike. I feel this is a poor design - the only lack of quality design so far found in my new Mountaineer.
Excellent set of forums with quality responses by competent RVers.
derfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by derfr

Thanks for the reference. I read the thread and received a response from Champ203. This has helped, but I still feel uncomfortable with using this extended bumper platform for two reasons: the long, low extension of the bumper; and the lack of a genuine support for the bike. I feel this is a poor design - the only lack of quality design so far found in my new Mountaineer.
Excellent set of forums with quality responses by competent RVers.
Although I don't have it on my 2004, if I did I think the best use for us would be a place to lock down generators when parked. I'd be worried given the close scrapes we've had when pulling out of areas with higher inclines that this extension would drag.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote