Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
I have officially had leaks in all of my walls!!!

I first found wet floors in the living room slide across from the TV. Then the one by the TV. Wet floors on both slides in bedroom.

The only slide I have not "seen" wet is the kitchen, but I am sure it is wet behind the fridge and oven.

One weekend while I was out pulling all the windows and trim off the slides to recaulk, a law company drove by and delivered some info on a class action lawsuit against Montanas for having leaking walls.

I am down to my last leaky one now, and hopefully have it fixed. But ALL of my walls and floors have been soaked at least the past year.

Is this VERY common?

I "think" it is leaking at the aluminum trim at the top of the slides, but not sure, so I have pulled all the windows out, put in new seals AND caulked all the way around. I have also pulled the upper and lower aluminum trim bars and caulked under and around them. I think I may finally have hit them all.

Has anyone verified where this water is actually coming from?

scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
I first found wet floors in the living room slide across from the TV. Then the one by the TV. Wet floors on both slides in bedroom.

The only slide I have not "seen" wet is the kitchen, but I am sure it is wet behind the fridge and oven.

One weekend while I was out pulling all the windows and trim off the slides to recaulk, a law company drove by and delivered some info on a class action lawsuit against Montanas for having leaking walls.

I am down to my last leaky one now, and hopefully have it fixed. But ALL of my walls and floors have been soaked at least the past year.

Is this VERY common?

I "think" it is leaking at the aluminum trim at the top of the slides, but not sure, so I have pulled all the windows out, put in new seals AND caulked all the way around. I have also pulled the upper and lower aluminum trim bars and caulked under and around them. I think I may finally have hit them all.

I can't verify that ,never had that problem in the 12 years I owned my 2008 Montana 3400 RL ,was always dry rain or shine.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:

?
Sorry you are having this big a problem. I have seen some leak issues posted on this forum but not to the extent you are experiencing. Your post raise a couple of questions.
What type of law company and what info did they deliverer? Please share so others with similar issues can take advantage of such actions.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Only remember seeing posts on older units with bad window or slide seals or the one off new unit that was built poorly but nothing systemic.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
The Eternabond tape Keystone put over the screws on the outer edge of the slides on mine was worn through on almost every screw. They used countersink screws and didn't countersink them. New Eternabond and leaks are gone.

Mark
Old 11-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Quote:

Is this VERY common?

Hello Scottanddanna,
I work for Keystone. What year is your Montana and are you the original owner? What law company stopped and said there was a class action lawsuit against Montana? This information would be helpful.

Thank you.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our leak issue started in 2013 when the window next to the entrance door in the curb side slide leaked. Even had a mobile RV repair guy come out and he never found it. Ended up coming from where the butyl tape is between the window frame and the Filon siding. With the expansion and contraction from summer to winter, a tiny gap had developed allowing the water to seep into the inside of the wall and migrated into the carpet of the slide. I ended up caulking around the perimeter of the window frame and that stopped it. Had it again on the opposite end window, and did the same thing. Then some time later, the front window of the bedroom slide leaked, so I ended up caulking all the windows of the rig that I hadn’t already caulked. Haven’t had a leak since.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:29 PM   #8
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
Glad to say we have never had a leak on our 2014 3402rl.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #9
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
I could never verify if leaks were from the top of the slide, window, or the bottom, so rather than spend 6 weekends fixing, waiting for rain, and fixing again, repeat as needed, I decided to just reseal them all!

Model of my Montana is in my signature. I don't remember the name of the law firm, and was not part of the suit. They just went through our park and dropped a baggie full of papers asking for info on leaks. I just happened to be out working on the slides when he showed up!
Old 11-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #10
beekeeper.va
Established Member

M.O.C. #11864
Take it to an RV repair shop that does leak detection with SealTech. Find there testing locatons here: https://rvleaks.com/testing-locations/. Sometimes leaks are many feet away from the place where it shows up. The SealTech machine over pressurizes the inside of the RV and a leak-detect solution is spray on the outside to find where the leak actually is. They often find more leaks than the one you know about.
beekeeper.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am truing to remember if we had any leaks in both our Montana's a 06 3400 and this 13 3402. I can not recall any of the slides , walls or windows leaking.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
whitetail

M.O.C. #18529
I have had 13 rv's in my lifetime. All types imaginable and in my experience, I came up with a slogan. " There are two types of RV'S, Those that leak and those that are about to leak" Amen
whitetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #13
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
I have found that most leaked from that top aluminum piece that holds down the rubber roof. But at least 2 leaked from around the window. So for each slide, I have removed top and bottom aluminum trims pieces, caulked A BUNCH underneath and around screw holes, and reassembled. I then removed each window, replaced the seals inside, AND caulked around the window once reinstalled. I forgot to caulk around one and got a wet floor during the next rain. I have since caulked around it and everything seems to be staying dry.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:02 PM   #14
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
Just to wrap this thread up. We spent several seasons trying to seal the windows and walls on the slides, and the floors continued to get wet.

We bit the bullet and installed slide toppers on all the slides, and everything is now dry.

I wish I had paid the $1500 and spent the weekend up on the top BEFORE attempting to seal the walls and windows three or four times each.