Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2022, 03:45 PM   #1
Retiredgpa57
Established Member

M.O.C. #31393
Internet

Can anyone in the form with experience recommend a fast Internet connection and stable cell phone service?

Retiredgpa57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:08 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have Verizon and usually see 70 to 75 Mbps. That has gone to 86 Mbps. Our service is 4G. That is plenty for smooth video. Your results may vary.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:27 PM   #3
Retiredgpa57
Established Member

M.O.C. #31393
So does this mean you’re using your data off your cell phone to get Internet?
Retiredgpa57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:41 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have AT&T and Verizon. We use a hotspot connected with the AT&T, along with a phone and the Verizon phone can also be used as a hotspot if the AT&T service is not working well. It really depends on your location which service is going to be best.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:56 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We use Visible and AT&T. We use the hot spot on our AT&T phones and Visible on a GTE phone tethered with a portable router that acts as a hot spot to enable multiple devices to connect at the same time to the router. Visible uses the Verision network, but it is NOT Verison. We just upgraded our Visible to the 5G network. It truly is "unlimited" ... and we've used it to the max and beyond! We've run into some locations where the Visible did not stream very good at all on our Roku television, but it ran our lap top computers just fine! But, when that happened, AT&T was horrible too.

Regardless of which system you end up with, you're going to have those occasions when nothing works. AT&T may work in one location and Verision and Sprint do not. If you have Visible, it may not work, but Sprint may. If you have a satellite system (like Hughes Net), you may find yourself parked under a heavily forested area with no clear sky to the satellites zooming around in space. If you rely on campground internet, that is truly hit-and-miss, and definitely never a secure system. But, even DSL in your house can go down or an Ethernet system in our house can have outages too. So, there is no 100% fool proof service "out there" anywhere.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:58 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We too have an AT&T hot spot that is our primary internet. When that is unavailable, or too slow, we use our Verizon Data Plan to run a hot spot on my tablet.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:59 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredgpa57 View Post
So does this mean you’re using your data off your cell phone to get Internet?
Yes. We have unlimited data. 15 mags at full speed then slower. We have never been throttled. I don’t know why.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:12 PM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I just went through the whole gambit of options! Long story short. T-Mobile has 100gb for $50. All you need is a mobile hot spot device. You can buy a hot spot or if you have a winegard 360 add the winegard 1000, Tested last weekend and worked great streaming TV in HD. As long as you have cell reception it works on 4G. The only other options are DTV, Dish or Starlink and they have their own sets of issues.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:12 PM   #9
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
We have Verizon cell phones that we can use as hotspots, we also have a T-Mobile Home Internet unit, and a Starlink dish. T-Mobile claims the Home Internet is location limited but we have taken it to MD, OH, PA, MI, IN, WI, NY, NJ, NH, VT, MA, ME, VA, SC, NC, GA, and FL and it has worked. The Starlink works well if you have a clear view of the sky. When we were in the UP in Michigan we had zero cell service on either Verizon or T-Mobile but Starlink gave us 125/20 outside of Munising.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 03:11 PM   #10
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredgpa57 View Post
Can anyone in the form with experience recommend a fast Internet connection and stable cell phone service?
Starlink is now available for RVers.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:09 PM   #11
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Okay - I'm going to be the oddball for this topic......
For a cost of $20 per month plus tax plus the upfront cost of one of their hotspot routers, the DW and I decided to roll the dice and get in on the startup of the Dish Genesis 5G network. With that said, the equipment is fully backward compatible to 4G LTE. When T-Mobile and Sprint merged, congress mandated that there still be a 4th major carrier and Dish jumped into the fray with both feet. The coverage for the Dish Genesis 5G network is extremely sparse. With that said, they have data usage agreements with Verizon and AT&T - unknown at this time about any T-Mobile agreement.

We were skeptical, but decided to roll the dice with this prospect. We've only done one two week outing so far and I'm certain our hotspot was connected to the Verizon network. Streamed flawlessly at 36 - 40Mb download speeds.

I just got our first bill - $20.23 total. We have no data caps, no throttling and no roaming charges. As an added benefit - the service can be turned off for the months that it is not in use. One merely pays for one full calendar month at a time.

Again - we've only done one outing with the equipment so far, but the setup worked flawlessly. The hotspot device is a NetGear NightHawk M6 Pro and has a pair of TS-9 antenna ports for external MIMO inputs plus an Ethernet port for direct connection to a router hub or a PC.

We are not suggesting everyone run out and get this service. Instead we wanted to provide the info as what appears to be a very cost effective and viable option.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:00 PM   #12
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Try T-Moble. They have a black tower that has 5G. I asked about using it while traveling and was told I possibly could.
You will need a T-Moble account.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:27 AM   #13
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
Starlink is now available for RVers.
We have used Starlink RV in WA, ID, MT, WY, SD, NE, MO, IL, IN, and OH with great success as long as we had a clear view of the sky. Speeds were always very good and set up was fast too. In some places where we had no Verizon cell service it was great to have Starlink WIFI working.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:49 AM   #14
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Okay - I'm going to be the oddball for this topic......
For a cost of $20 per month plus tax plus the upfront cost of one of their hotspot routers, the DW and I decided to roll the dice and get in on the startup of the Dish Genesis 5G network. With that said, the equipment is fully backward compatible to 4G LTE. When T-Mobile and Sprint merged, congress mandated that there still be a 4th major carrier and Dish jumped into the fray with both feet. The coverage for the Dish Genesis 5G network is extremely sparse. With that said, they have data usage agreements with Verizon and AT&T - unknown at this time about any T-Mobile agreement.

We were skeptical, but decided to roll the dice with this prospect. We've only done one two week outing so far and I'm certain our hotspot was connected to the Verizon network. Streamed flawlessly at 36 - 40Mb download speeds.

I just got our first bill - $20.23 total. We have no data caps, no throttling and no roaming charges. As an added benefit - the service can be turned off for the months that it is not in use. One merely pays for one full calendar month at a time.

Again - we've only done one outing with the equipment so far, but the setup worked flawlessly. The hotspot device is a NetGear NightHawk M6 Pro and has a pair of TS-9 antenna ports for external MIMO inputs plus an Ethernet port for direct connection to a router hub or a PC.

We are not suggesting everyone run out and get this service. Instead we wanted to provide the info as what appears to be a very cost effective and viable option.
Lee, let me know how this works. I've only used the T-Mobile once and it worked great. The downside is my Winegard router is 4G. The plan is $50 per month. I like the $20 per month.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:18 PM   #15
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Lee, let me know how this works. I've only used the T-Mobile once and it worked great. The downside is my Winegard router is 4G. The plan is $50 per month. I like the $20 per month.
Will let you know on the next outing Tony. Shoot - I might get rid of our Windstream provider at home if the Genesis hotspot works satisfactorily there as well. Sure would beat the heck out of $80 per month for rural internet service.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:27 PM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Near as I can tell, you have to move to Stockton, CA to be eligible now. They tell me there is no service here in the Sacramento area. Maybe in a later rollout, but no $20 service today.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:48 AM   #17
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Near as I can tell, you have to move to Stockton, CA to be eligible now. They tell me there is no service here in the Sacramento area. Maybe in a later rollout, but no $20 service today.
Dang Tony I had forgotten that aspect. I had the same scenario. My daughter 2 ½ hours away was just inside the Genesis 5G network area, so I gave Dish her address for shipment and she forwarded the small box to me via snail mail.

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every once in a while evidently. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:05 AM   #18
Paul M
Established Member

M.O.C. #31545
Just got T-Mobile 5g Home internet works great so far you might want to check it out They approved it for traveling
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:59 PM   #19
DougVelting
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27691
We use RV-4g.com
It runs on T-mobile, $109 a month, 100% unlimited and unthrottled. When we are by major cities we get close to 100mb download speeds. Rural areas it is slower.
We did however get the mofi5500 router after running on the "slower" one on their recommended equipment page just to keep up with our youtube channel. We've had it for a year now and if we ever park the rig permanently I will keep it as our primary internet service
DougVelting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:49 AM   #20
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Checked out your Travel Blog (https://interstateadventures.com/) and Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCio...HsIAWVjLibFllQ) channel and found it very good information and entertaining too.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote