Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2022, 09:00 PM   #1
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Tilted Slide?

I have my 3730 under a shed for months at a time. To prevent the slide seals from sticking to the rv when we load up for a trip, and because we are in and out of the rig a lot, I leave the slides open. I noticed today leaving a park that the dining room slide is starting to drag on the front-underside - as evidenced by the poly fabric underbelly of the slide starting to fray.
My guess is that extended periods with slides out has induced a "tilt" to the slide? Is there a way to adjust that ? Do any of you recommend slide supports when slides are out for long periods?
Thanks in advance,
Max

MaxwellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:48 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
It sounds like you have a High Country model if your slides have the Darco material underneath. It should be adjustable somewhat. I have read that many people buy slide slickers to install on the bottom of the slide. They are a thin piece of plastic or teflon material that covers where the rollers hit to prevent wearing through the Darco.
Hopefully someone else will come along that can give more detail. Our 3791 has full plastic sheeting on the bottom of the slides rather than the Darco.
It would help others to know your model and year.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:30 AM   #3
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
See the thread post #15: https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=87098
I've had good results using these slide pads. You may also want to read about the crowning issue of the outer arm of the slide and check yours. If crowned the slide can drag briefly on the way in/out.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:49 AM   #4
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Tilted slide ?

RipNC, the slide sleds, did you put them under the slide (where the fabric is fraying) or do you use them inside on the floor when you bring the slides in? I may have the crowning issue, but there is no chatter going on and the slide seems to move in and out evenly.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:09 AM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Here is a thread to darco repair, etc. Another option. I got the pdf from ChuckS.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...t=83948&page=4

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:14 AM   #6
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
I use inside at each end of the slide. I made the pack of 2 into 4 (2 were way too long for kitchen slide).

Do your slides use the wbite glide strip to move on and sit somewhat flush to the floor when extended? If so, lift the flooring that covers that seam and feel along that strip (especially where fraying) and see if it has been roughed up (by grit caught between the glide strip and the slide floor. If rough, you could smooth w/ sandpaper.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:55 PM   #7
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
I use inside at each end of the slide. I made the pack of 2 into 4 (2 were way too long for kitchen slide).

Do your slides use the wbite glide strip to move on and sit somewhat flush to the floor when extended? If so, lift the flooring that covers that seam and feel along that strip (especially where fraying) and see if it has been roughed up (by grit caught between the glide strip and the slide floor. If rough, you could smooth w/ sandpaper.
Yes it has the white glide strip. I cant inspect it thoroughly - only the leading edge shows without tearing into it. I am assuming there are no actual roller wheels on this type of slide? If there are such roller wheels (may have seized up?) I cannt see them anywhere. The sled strips would help in either case I assume. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:31 AM   #8
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Slide floor edge is beveled to ride up over the glide strip (and to sit "flush" when extended). No rollers. There are many posts that cover adding attached glide "skis" to each end of your slide and I will probably do this when time and temperature permits. Since I was leaving in days I tried the "slide-out sleds" and for umder $50 they worked well enough that I'm in no rush to tackle the more permanent fix. They take seconds to setup and take down.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:45 AM   #9
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Thank you Sir !