Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Lippert propane bottle & temperature sensors

Got an email from Lippert that they have a sale on a "sensor bundle". Two propane bottle sensors and two temperature sensors for about $130. They recommend one temp sensor be placed inside the fridge and the other just somewhere inside the RV. They are supposed to send info to an app on your phone with alerts, I assume when the tanks get low and/or the temp gets too high in the fridge and/or the interior of the rig. Wondering if anyone has them and if so if they work as advertised. TIA.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:44 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
It seems that Lippert's getting their hand in the cookie jar on about everything rv. I don't know about Lipperts, but the Mopeka propane tank sensors have worked very well for me for about 4 years. Looks like camping world has them for about $65. As for the fridge I just use a $12 Acu-right remote sensor from Wally World.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I got the same email from Lippert. I looked it over, checked out their stuff. I remember the original propane tank sensors when they first came out. On different forums, back then, there were VERY mixed reviews. Some folks thought they were great, some folks said they failed miserably. The biggest problem was the sensor on the bottom of the tank would get crushed, or something like that. I don't know, I never tried them.

I keep one tank turned on at a time. When it run empty, it's pretty obvious. I simply turn on the second one, flip the switch on the regulator and close the empty one. Within 24 hours, the empty one is refilled. No problems, and I've never run out of propane doing it this way.

Old school still works the best. The more mechanical, electrical, technology advanced it gets, the higher the price to repair it when it breaks .... and "it" will break!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 06:57 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I also have Mopeka tank sensors. You can monitor your tanks from your phone.
I also have remote temperature sensors.
ORIA Indoor Outdoor Thermometer with 3 Wireless Sensors, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HVLXXXF...F1JDX1D30AM0JA
I put one outside, one in the underbelly and one in the battery compartment.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #5
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
I'm the old school to and don't like some of the new sensors and complicated technical issues. I am very computer literate and know how to use everything, but they don't always work so its tough to rely on. I manage my propane by using one bottle until its empty. I have the auto switch regulator. I know when I'm in AZ that i use a tank about every three to four days. I just check the indicator on the regulator to see when is switches. Works great for us.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:42 PM   #6
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwengermt View Post
I'm the old school to and don't like some of the new sensors and complicated technical issues. I am very computer literate and know how to use everything, but they don't always work so its tough to rely on. I manage my propane by using one bottle until its empty. I have the auto switch regulator. I know when I'm in AZ that i use a tank about every three to four days. I just check the indicator on the regulator to see when is switches. Works great for us.
That is what I do. I leave both tanks on so I don't run out while cooking or at night when the furnace is needed. I just look at the regulator every few days and refill the empty tank when needed.

Has worked for for us for 30 years.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote