Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is the first winter up North in Ohio in 14 years. The Montana stays along side the S&B .It is completely shut down 50 amp breakers off Rv tilted slightly to one side and slightly nose down to aid in run off. Tires not on the concrete. We blew out all water lines then added @ one gallon of pink stuff in the tanks...just in case. There has been over 15 inches of snow on the roof. We are dry inside not a single leak anywhere. We have winterized many campers but never our Montana's.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #22
Dave and Beta
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22710
First thing I would do is upgrade to 40lb tanks. They fit.
Dave and Beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #23
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
Not bad considering..but a couple of thoughts

We FT and currently tied up in Indiana. A tank is not terrible, but as others have suggested, seal up the unit. They say ours is “All Season””. What a joke. Maybe All season in Florida would be more accurate. Lol

*Seal up gaps, holes, walls , anyplace air can get in.
*Consider a small electric heater, in the storage tub. Open the wall and set close to funnel warm air to plumbing and pump .
* I monitor temp below with a remote thermometer. Works great. This will allow you to set thermostat low and not worry about plumbing freezing up.
* Check gaps around door and floor and steps. In ours you could crawl thru let alone keep out cold air.
* Pull in any slide you can. They leak like a screen door
* if you have flush windows, check for gaps in the weather seal. In ours, each had (2 or more) 1” gaps.
Lastly, anyplace there are holes you can see in the frame, seal up.
Our kitchen is in the rear, so have a fresh tank and plumbing running from front to back.
By sealing up, we have our electric fire place on, thermostat set at 70, stay quite comfy and burn thru a tank every 7-10 days

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #24
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellD View Post
Greetings again,
Well actually - it is SILENT as a thief in the night, but my 30 gal propane bottles only last 7-10 days. My 2018 3737 FL is parked at home, but I keep the furnace on for the occasional freezing periods. I am in Texas where it has been low 30’s / upper 20’a at night so I leave thermostat at 55 degrees.
I also noticed that the heater exhaust vent blows a lot of hot air to the outside - I guess it is supposed to do that, but that seems wasteful and inefficient. What’s up with that too?
Off to buy more propane now, thanks,
Max
Very normal. We are living in ours full time. It is in the low 40's where we are and my thermostat is set to 65 during the day and 60 at night. The furnace almost never comes on, we use the fireplace heaters. They provide 5,000BTU which is enough to keep us warm in addition to warm throws.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #25
cosninocanines
Established Member

M.O.C. #9137
I leave my 3121 hooked up in a RV park and split time over the winter with my home and RV. I don't winterize but leave the heater on and set the thermostat at the lowest point which is 40 degrees. I shut the water off and drain the hose but not the RV. Never have any problems and all I need to do is hook the water back up when I go back.
cosninocanines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:39 PM   #26
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Here in OR we rarely get overnight temps below freezing. And when it is, it normally makes it above freezing during the day. I drain my water tank and open the low point drains and the fresh water drain. I use my compressor to blow out all the water lines and to make sure there is no water left in the faucets. I take care to make sure the fresh tank fill line from the convenience center is also blown out. I use a small electric space heater set at half-throttle on 750 watts. The heater has a fan to circulate air. Every time I check, even early in the AM on a cold day, the temp in my rig is never below 40 degrees. No antifreeze. The fireplace is an OK idea but remember, heat rises. Therefore, the fireplace fan will not circulate enough to warm the basement. I do open all cabinets which have plumbing, the toilet room and the shower to make it easy for the heat to get in those places. When it's time for me to hit the road for a last minute winter trip, I put the anode back in the water heater, put 20 gallons in the fresh tank, run the pump long enough to get water at all points of use and then get the fresh tank back up to about 20 gallons. That's all it takes for me to get on the road. If you chose to continue running your furnace, I'd opt for a large bulk tank that can be put beside your rig.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #27
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Greetings again,
Well actually - it is SILENT as a thief in the night, but my 30 gal propane bottles only last 7-10 days. My 2018 3737 FL is parked at home, but I keep the furnace on for the occasional freezing periods. I am in Texas where it has been low 30’s / upper 20’a at night so I leave thermostat at 55 degrees.
I also noticed that the heater exhaust vent blows a lot of hot air to the outside - I guess it is supposed to do that, but that seems wasteful and inefficient. What’s up with that too?
Max
I sure do hope you mean you are using 30# bottles not 30 gallon bottles....
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:11 PM   #28
travelinsparky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12412
Our trailer will not freeze when the temp drops to mid 20 at night and the day time temp gets to the 40's with out the furnace. I have done this for several years when we return from the south, until I can winterize. When the night and day temp stay below 30 I will run furnace at set at 40 degrees.
travelinsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:30 PM   #29
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Greetings again,
Max
You sound like you might be a good candidate for installing Cheap Heat to your furnace , heat it with electricity instead of propane, would save having to go get propane every week . I'm sure you never overcome the cost of adding the Cheap Heat ,but it is a great connivence if hooked up to electricity .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #30
jrsemrad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21904
Just a thought. Last winter we were doing some work on our fiver outside in cold weather so I got a 100# cylinder of LP. That resulted in less switching of tanks and a cheaper cost per gallon. Just saying.
jrsemrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #31
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsemrad View Post
Just a thought. Last winter we were doing some work on our fiver outside in cold weather so I got a 100# cylinder of LP. That resulted in less switching of tanks and a cheaper cost per gallon. Just saying.
OR..... just go out and buy a good-sized cheap HF air compressor and blow your lines out and put a little red stuff in the traps and not have to worry about it. Your ready to go at a moment's notice and not have to spend all that money on propane or flushing out water lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	8319  
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:31 PM   #32
BobbyJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25534
������ on using a small compressor to blow out the lines and a lil pink stuff in the traps. Quick connect for the compressor hook up, 30# on the compressor regulator so the faucet valves, etc. aren't burned by high pressure. Fast!, easy and cheap. Visiting family down south Christmas 2019, easy to do this quick before we returned to the frozen tundra of the Northland (Nebraska). Like having the lil compressor along fir a bunch of reasons.
BobbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:02 AM   #33
AprilR

M.O.C. #27722
This is our first year in a 3000RL. When the first cold front (below 23deg. At night/early morning) for several days, we very quickly went through our 2 30 gallon tanks. Now what we do is use a ceramic electric heater upstairs in the bedroom, the fireplace running and the furnace set on about 63-65deg. Our tanks are lasting more than 2 weeks even in the coldest situations (below freezing all day). We leave the bathroom door cracked just a bit to allow warm are in there to keep the line from freezing. BTW, we are fultimers in SE Tennessee.
AprilR is offline   Reply With Quote