Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
Montana_5833
Established Member

M.O.C. #5833
Electrical shock

I noticed recently when my camper is plugged into an outlet, with an extention cord, that any metal part gives off a shock. I know near nothing about electrical work. Can it be the extention cord or should I say the use of any extention cord that causes this or is it something in the wiring? I am going outside to see if I have enough cord on the camper to do away with the extention. Could it be the plug adapter? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Montana_5833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
If you normaly dont have the problem when plugged in it could be the cord or the outlet you are plugged into. But there is a ground problem! Try without cord if still there check oulet or use another to narrow down problem.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I agree with gungho. You have a grounding problem somewhere. In my case it was the extension cord. Somewhere along the line the grounding wire had been disconnected. Every time I had it plugged into Monty and touched the metal anywhere on the coach I'd get a nice little tingle! Fixed the cord and no more problem. Of course it could be the receptacle too. Check to make sure it is grounded properly. One or both of those things should solve your "shocking" problem.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Our experiance was a bad adapter. Replaced it and no more problems.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
It also pays to buy and carry along one of these outlet testers, just to be sure.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I had the same problem once. I used an old extension cord which had been cut and spliced back together several times (used to use it for hedge trimmers)+ the ground prong had been cut off to go into a 2 prong outlet - what an IDIOT !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
You may have reverse polarity on the cord, making the frame of the Monty hot... Jack
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyro

It also pays to buy and carry along one of these outlet testers, just to be sure.

Steve
Hey Steve where did you purchase that tester???
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
You can find similar ones about anywhere - Wal-Mart, Lowes, HD, even Harbor Freight.

I now use one with my 30 amp adapter to check the campground polarity & ground before I ever hookup (at least whenever I remember to).
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #10
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
HarleyRider,

Van Man's correct. I think I got mine at the Fairbanks ACE Hardware store. I've seen them elsewhere, too.

The pic I had to use has the red dot thingy in the top surface. (The one I Googled of mine was too small to really get an idea from.) Mine doesn't have that. Just the three LEDS that light up, and the legend beneath the LEDS lets you know if the circuit is wired correctly, and if not, what the problem is.

If there's any suspicion of possible miss-wiring, I'll use my adapters to test the 30 or 50 Amp plug-ins, before plugging the Monty in. And suspicion is validated, no matter the CG is new, or old. Never know if maintenance had been done on a power pole or not.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote