Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Why don't you just use the winterizing input connection, turn on the on-board water pump, and then switch the selector valve to power fill?

It will fill the FWT and do the same exact thing without buying and mounting a separate water pump. When finished, set the selector valve back to normal, no fuss, no muss.

Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #22
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Oooops.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #23
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Overlord-- The problem is you don't have any way to put the sanitizing solution(Clorox or whatever) into the tank or system because there is nothing to put the solution in prior to it going into the tank or the lines which is in the now in the service center. While accompanying an owner of a new Montana with their PDI, this was brought up and the service tech had not answer to the question. There have been several posts on this subject and some have gone so far as to putting the sanitizing solution into the filler hose then pumping it into the tank as you stated. The Mountaineers design still has the access door on the rear of the unit along with the tank vent yet. The Montana designers eliminated the fill door and fill port for the fresh water tank but left the vent and it is just a hole with a shield over it now.
I have a feeling this will be one of the subjects brought up at the Fall Rally this year when we meet with Keystone in their session which is scheduled for the final day of the Rally(Tuesday). Guess we'll see what they come up with for an answer! I'll post here on the answer they give us!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #24
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I agree with overlord. I switch to the winterize option which sucks the antifreeze into the system. Yes it will fill your fresh water from a bucket, barrel or whatever as long as there is absolutely no air leaks . This works on ours. So just put your bleach solution in a container and there you are, solution with no added equipment.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #25
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
OK, grampachet I will do this procedure today and report back if it works, seems so much easier than pouring bleach down a hose then reconnecting and to get bleach into the FWT.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #26
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
That is a great idea! I plan to try it
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #27
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
OK, this reminds me of one of my college courses Designing For Economical Production. I did the Power Fill (fresh water tank fill) using the Winterize connection with the city water turned off and it works. I did not calculate the fill rate, but this method will do the job. So I could fill my fresh water tank from a portable water bladder/tank having no pressure. Also, I sanitized the fresh water tank, and cold water lines by placing one cup of bleach in one gallon of water using this same method. Plus while in this training mode I poured one cup of bleach down the city water hose, then reconnected and did a Power Fill to get bleach into the FWT as I also had learned here on the MOC. As I think about this, Keystone/Montana changing the fresh water fill cap feature into a vent only did not reduce the benefits, but I did have to make a change in my behavior.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #28
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Overlord

Why don't you just use the winterizing input connection, turn on the on-board water pump, and then switch the selector valve to power fill?

It will fill the FWT and do the same exact thing without buying and mounting a separate water pump. When finished, set the selector valve back to normal, no fuss, no muss.
Tested Overlords theory, can't really say without fuss or muss (don't know what muss is). First time I tried it, nothing happened. Figured out, I didn't have enough washers in the winterize input and had an air leak. Added washer, it started pulling water and into the FWT it went. After about 10min and about 3gal sucked in I got tired of waiting.

So in the end, yes it works, if you've got the time and the patience.

Also, all of this would have been a mute point had Keystone left what has worked all these years alone instead of redesigning the wheel.
Samiterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #29
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Samiterry

....After about 10min and about 3gal sucked in I got tired of waiting....
Did you have your container on the ground? If so, try it with the container sitting on the tailgate of your truck (or a table). The "pump head height" (the height the water in the siphon hose must climb before it gets to the pump) will affect the GPM that the pump can output. With the container at least as high up as your fresh water tank, the pump should output just as much as your kitchen faucet can. The charge state of the house batteries will also affect the GPM, unless you are hooked up to 115v power.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #30
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
Not for sure, but looking at youtube, our 2014 High Country still has the gravity file. Glad it does but will get to make sure on the 20th when we pick it up (and do the PDI of course).
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote