Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
lmurphy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2328
HELP' Slides won't retract'

I know this has nothing to do with the subject, but we need help, and we're fimiliar with a lot of you guys. We're getting ready to head off to Bodega Bay RV Park this coming Thursday, and we have our 5th wheel ready to go, but the slides in our Montana, Model 2955 won't retract. Does anyone here know what the problem might be. Tim's check the battery and has added water to it, but the slides will not retract. We have had them extented for a while. Would this be the problem? Any information would be appreciated.

lmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
suggest calling MIMF otherwise known as MIMF2 or Dale,

from another post, I copy:

"desk ...... 866-524-7821" (that is Dale talking, that is his number)

He can talk you through suggestions to get you on the road.

(sorry Dale if I am stepping on toes here)

Good luck and have a great time on your outing.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
moc5er
Site Team

M.O.C. #4839
Check for a sheared bolt. It is located on the square shaft under the slide.
moc5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Imurphy

Can you hear the pump run when you press the switch? We need more info. to help. Larry & LaVonne

Imurphy, this topic is in the wrong place, but I know it will be moved.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Is there any sound (from the pump) when trying to bring the slides in?

How about trying to extend them (I know they are out, but does the pump kick in)?

If the answer to these questions is "yes" then likely the problem is with the slides themselves (likely a sheared bolt).

I suspect the answer is no (to at least one question). In this case check the pump in the front compartment. Besides the power wire, there are two other wires which connect to the pump (look for the spade connectors). One controls the "extend" motion, the other controls the "retract" motion. I bet one of them has come loose (don't ask me how I know). The other option is no power at all which indicates the fuse has given up. But since it is a self-resetting type, I think it is unlikely.

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:24 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I was looking at another post about slides that mentioned the "hydraulic selector valves option" and a "slide off" switch. Is it possible that got switched to off after the slide was out? Is that even possible? If so, would it produce this situation?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
wildcard
Established Member

M.O.C. #98
You may want to check fuse panel. There is a fuse for the slides.You may also want to check connections just off the battery.I just went thru the same problem, disconnected and reconnected all electrical connections. There also may be a fuse on the wall of front storage compartment that goes to hydraulic motor.It should be only about 2 feet up battery cable from battery.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Check the charge in the battery. You said Tim checked the battery and added water. Depending on the amount of water you may not have enough juice in the battery to operate the slides in which case you can do one of 3 things. Charge the battery, plug the rig into shore power or hook up the truck.

Let us know when you get the problem solved.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
lmurphy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2328
Thanks guys for all your support. It seems that we had our 5th wheel plugged to electricity while not in use and that was boiling the water in the batteries, and cause the batteries to drain. Tim tried to recharge them, but was not satified and decided to out ahead and buy new batteries, hopefully this will solve our problem. He will now put a disconnect unit to the batteries so this won't happen again. Again, thanks alot for you help. We're heading out to the coast where it will be a lot cooler. It's be in the triple digits here for the last 12 days, and we're ready for some coastal fog.
lmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The IQ4 "Smart Charger" addition for the IOTA converter will cure the battery boil problem when continously connected to 110 power. After nine months with one, the water level in my batteries has not changed.

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote