Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
How much rain

...does it take to get the fully automatic fantastic fan to close, automatically?

It started a light rain today, and I closed it, but wonder if it is working properly.

FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Sharon and Bob,
On my rig the vent will close with a heavy dew. But it depends on where exactly the moisture is. A couple of times it seemed to stay open even though there was a light rain shower. It did close but not as fast as I thought it would. You live in a very dry environment so it might seem to take a long time to close.

Good luck.

Dennis and Mary Kay and Roscoe.....
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #3
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
The other day when were camped it started to rain very lightly and I heard this strange noise. Yep it was the fan closing. I had forgot it was open.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
It all depends on where the raindrop falls that will trigger the sensor. You can spot the sensor if you go up top and look around.

We have a Maxx-Air vent over our Fan-Tastics, and I still managed to get the kitchen one to close during a particularly blustery rain storm.

Take a mister bottle up with you and test yours out. If it doesn't close, you'll want to know BEFORE it starts raining. But I think you should find out it does close. Just might not be the same sensitivity as some others.

Steve

P.S.

And make sure you have the sensor enabled! (The "Rain Override Switch" to "Normal.")

S.
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Gyro,

Doesn't the Maxx-Air impede the opening of the Fan Tastic Vent, and for that matter the air it can move out?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Mike,

I was worried about that, as well. Read up on the Fan-Tastic, and found out that it will simply stop trying to open if there's any impediment to movement. Doesn't harm it to open, (and it does open most of the way,) up and into the Maxx-Air.

I have both Fan-Tastics covered with the Maxx-Airs, and the two other vents with the smaller Maxx-Vent.

So far, no rain's gotten in. Except for splatters that day the rain was going fairly horizontally, down here, and triggered the Rain Sensor over the kitchen!

Steve
Old 07-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Sharon&Bob,
Ours is like Hamrad's, dew will close ours. The other night it was quite humid and the fan just about drove me nuts closing and opening, closing and opening. Perhaps when you had the rain it was not getting into the opening. Gyro's idea of using a mister bottle would work well and set your mind at ease, then if it ever rains again where you are you wouldn't have to worry.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Thanks for the suggestions. We will try the mister to see if it closes. Seems like, while at the Stasta Rally, it rained pretty good and it didn't close then either. Forgot about it till it rained again last night.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:58 PM   #9
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Don't forget, there is a rocker-style "Override" switch for the "Rainguard" auto close function. Make sure yours isn't in "Override".
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:31 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The only time I have ever heard my FF close is when there is heavy moisture in the air. I have the MaxxAir cover over mine and have seen just about every direction of rain one can imagine. So far, other than moisture, rain has not closed my FF.

Mike,
I have not noticed any restriction of airflow from having my FF covered. MaxxAir makes a cover designed for use with a fantastic fan. Here is a link that might answer any questions you may have. http://www.maxxair.com/products/Fan-Mate.aspx
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:46 AM   #11
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
And don't forget, as I've said, the fan's lid is designed to stop at any obstruction. Thats' according to the folks at Fan-Tastic. I asked. They do so because you might park under a tree at some point. They didn't want to break the mechanism by making it fail if it's blocked.

Steve
Old 07-21-2006, 06:21 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ours went off when it rained night before pretty good shower before it closed. Then when it stopped raining, it came back on. Didn't know it was suppose to do that.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Well, mystery solved. I had the phone in my hand to call Fantastic Fan, when I said to Bob, we'd better check that override switch before I call. Hung up and we both went out to check. It was raining lightly, off and on all night, so this would be a good test.

YUP, the override switch was turned the wrong way. Turned it off, and turned the control panel on, and lid would not raise (it was already wet). I just looked out, Sun is out, things are drying out, and the fantastic fan lid is up and working.

Thanks all . . . . you fixed it.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #14
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
In Texas this is unknown...lol
It is so so dry.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:41 AM   #15
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I still have a concern about air volume through a Maxx-Air. Even looking at the picture on their web site, you must still have a decreased air flow through the vent. It would appear to me that because you retrict the raising of the vent lid that you will decrease the true size of the opening thereby reducing the air flow...even though the designated Maxx-Air has a larger opening. This may be an artificial concern, but, curious.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:06 AM   #16
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Just don't plan on using a Maxx-Air on the Fan-Tastic. It's the wrong one. Get the Fan-Mate. It's almost an inch taller than the smaller one. It doesn't have the fine mesh screen like the smaller one. It's got a larger vent area. And it's simply designed to do the job with a Fan-Tastic.

Visit with someone whose got one over a Fan-Tastic and try to decide if there's a chance that one cubic foot of air may remain inside their Monty for a few seconds more than it would without the cover.

And also try to decide how much you will want to replace the Fan-Tastic's lid after it's totally exposed to UV rays for a couple years. If they last like standard vent lids do, then prepare for dealing with warranty problems or buying the parts.

I can't see a lack of flow in ours. We hardly turn our Fan-Tastic on full at all. It's most often left at about half-speed, just to expel heated air and the occasional Aroma Du Canine.

Steve