Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2022, 08:18 AM   #1
rbracing60

M.O.C. #18273
Send a message via AIM to rbracing60
Help

In need of a litte help, 2016 Montana 3721rl. Developed a tone coming from the ceiling in the hallway leading to bedroom. Killed power on mains both outside and inside, disconnected battery, and removed ground wires. Still have the tone. Any ideas what could cause this are appreciated.

rbracing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:25 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Whoa....can you be more specific? What does this tone sound like? Is it steady? High or low pitched? What environment are you in? Home or park? In the end if ALL power sources are disconnected the noise has to be battery powered of external and not coming from the RV.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:35 AM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
The hall is where my smoke detector is located, but I assume you would have noticed that by now.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
rbracing60

M.O.C. #18273
Full time in RV park, tone is hi pitched but not a squeal, loudest in the hallway at the top of the stairs leading to the bedroom. All electrical power was disconnected, only other battery power would be smoke detectors, and I removed those batteries. Also retracted and extended bedroom slide. Can't for the life of me think what could cause the tone without power.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:47 AM   #5
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Silly question but have you looked on the roof for something that shouldn't be there? Can you hear it outside?
Old 09-28-2022, 08:56 AM   #6
Thetraveler

M.O.C. #31618
smoke detector?

Maybe a faulty smoke detector?
Thetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:58 AM   #7
rbracing60

M.O.C. #18273
There is no tone outside, or in the bay. I can not get to the roof, currently in a tropical storm here in Florida, but there isn't anything on the roof other than the AC units. I also shut off the propane, and water supplies. There should not be any power source left.??????
Old 09-28-2022, 10:00 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Not related to your problem, but it brought back a memory. Shortly after we moved into our current house, about 6:30 every morning we'd heard music coming through the fire place. It's a wood burning fire place with an insert and we use it for primary heat in that end of the house.

Every morning we'd hear the same mysterious music. Sometimes it would sound like someone talking (maybe in a garbled are a foreign language, it was never clear, but it was human voice).

I explored everything, roof, attic, outside, check with the neighbors to see if maybe a radio alarm clock was going off somewhere. Nothing.

By 6:40 am the sound would quit. This went on every morning ... well ... for 13 years now. We still have not figured out what it is or what's causing it. Sometimes it sounds like symphony music, sometimes like country, sometimes like rock-n-roll. But never really distinguishable enough to really make it out!

And it seemed like it would do it when the most when there was still hot ashes from a fire the night before. Really weird!

No doubt, you've heard of folks getting radio stations through their electric coffee pots and sometimes from their toasters. I suppose a "hum" could also come from something inside your camper... wires laid exactly in the right position, vibrations, or even sound waves beyond your hearing range causing things to vibrate in a range you can hear!

Or ... maybe you just have a good old fashioned "ghost" or poltergeist. Now that's perfect for Halloween approaching!

But, I think you have something battery powered that is doing it. We had a rechargable battery operated sound bar in our camper for the television. One morning we heard this weird chirping sound. It make no sense what it was. It took about a week to figure it out, as it did it so random. It turned out to be a low battery warning in that sound bar. It wanted to be plugged and charged up.

So, your's might be something similar. What kind of battery operated devices do you have laying in a drawer, or a cabinet? Check them all out. Maybe your phones, watches, or anything.

Good luck.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:09 AM   #9
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
You mentioned you were in a tropical storm right now.
Maybe you are getting wind noise through a window or bathroom fan vent.

Just spit balling here.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:31 AM   #10
rbracing60

M.O.C. #18273
Update, still troubleshooting my problem and trying to pinpoint the noise and heard the tone change. Apparently it is coming from behind the wall above the converter. My guess is the fan in the converter is singing. There has to be capacitors in the converter that take a while to bleed down, that could be why the tone was still there with all power disconnected.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. When the storm passes and I can get into it I will pull out the converter and repair if that is the problem. Will update when I know.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #11
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
just a side note, are you in the path of ian? have many friends and family in fla that are staying, when i was working as a lineman i have worked many hurricanes to restore power. have seen up close what the devastation can be, hopefully it calms down a little but it sure does not look like it will .be safe and hopeing it is not as bad as they predict.
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:38 PM   #12
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbracing60 View Post
Update, still troubleshooting my problem and trying to pinpoint the noise and heard the tone change. Apparently it is coming from behind the wall above the converter. My guess is the fan in the converter is singing. There has to be capacitors in the converter that take a while to bleed down, that could be why the tone was still there with all power disconnected.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. When the storm passes and I can get into it I will pull out the converter and repair if that is the problem. Will update when I know.
That sounds very likely and if there is anything on the roof it will be gone shortly. Stay safe and hang on.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Not related to your problem, but it brought back a memory. Shortly after we moved into our current house, about 6:30 every morning we'd heard music coming through the fire place. It's a wood burning fire place with an insert and we use it for primary heat in that end of the house.

Every morning we'd hear the same mysterious music. Sometimes it would sound like someone talking (maybe in a garbled are a foreign language, it was never clear, but it was human voice).

I explored everything, roof, attic, outside, check with the neighbors to see if maybe a radio alarm clock was going off somewhere. Nothing.

By 6:40 am the sound would quit. This went on every morning ... well ... for 13 years now. We still have not figured out what it is or what's causing it. Sometimes it sounds like symphony music, sometimes like country, sometimes like rock-n-roll. But never really distinguishable enough to really make it out!

And it seemed like it would do it when the most when there was still hot ashes from a fire the night before. Really weird!

Good luck.
Yikes..... Time to move!
Old 09-28-2022, 04:07 PM   #14
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
In need of a litte help, 2016 Montana 3721rl. Developed a tone coming from the ceiling in the hallway leading to bedroom. Killed power on mains both outside and inside, disconnected battery, and removed ground wires. Still have the tone. Any ideas what could cause this are appreciated.
Your InCommand and converter/fuse panel is right where you describe. I would check all of that stuff first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E8502B2-BC4D-485D-83AA-9DDBD4B33CF4.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	13258  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:44 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
First, 2016 didn’t have In Command as I recall. But, another source potential is the red propane regulator.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:36 PM   #16
rbracing60

M.O.C. #18273
Update,
Waited out the storm so I could go back outside.
Removed power, disconnected the battery and waited 30 minutes to allow any capacitors to discharge. The tone was still there. Scratched my head again and decided there had to be something else that was the culprit. Went on a quest and started cleaning out cabinets and drawers. Eureka finally found the problem, small battery clock on a shelf above the control panel. Batteries had gone bad and clock was emitting a tone.
Again thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:46 PM   #17
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Glad you found it and glad you made it through Ian!
Old 10-02-2022, 01:40 PM   #18
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
When water flows through the anti backflow devices where your fresh water and black tank flush are connected in the convenience center, a tone normally occurs. I'd make sure that no water is flowing unless it should be. Easy place to start to confirm that this is the cause is shutting off water at the pedestal.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:38 PM   #19
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Quote:
Full time in RV park, tone is hi pitched but not a squeal, loudest in the hallway at the top of the stairs leading to the bedroom. All electrical power was disconnected, only other battery power would be smoke detectors, and I removed those batteries. Also retracted and extended bedroom slide. Can't for the life of me think what could cause the tone without power.
Just for info......you can remove the battery from a smoke detector and it still has residual power in it until you bleed that off. Have learned that the hard way as mine kept sounding off even after it was unplugged from the AC and the batteries were removed.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:56 PM   #20
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
Do you have a portable weather station?
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote