Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2022, 12:23 PM   #1
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Beware of camping in NC.

We are full timers with Florida tagged RV and truck. We spent four months in a NC campground this last winter. Just got a notice from the county that we owe personal property taxes on the RV because we were in the campground on January 1st.

Called the tax office they said they need a letter from the campground telling them that we were/are not seasonal residents.

I called the campground and they said call the tax office.

Since we're currently in Upstate NY headed to the SW from here we're expecting the cheapest resolution will be just to pay the bill.

Needless to say we won't be camping in NC anymore.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
CDS1
Established Member

M.O.C. #27770
I live in North Carolina, we pay taxes on property we own to the city or county where you reside. I am interested in which county sent you a bill and for what.

Before paying it I would call the NC Attorney General or State Treasurer.

My In Laws use to stay here for two to three months in a campground, never heard they got a tax notice.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #3
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS1 View Post
I live in North Carolina, we pay taxes on property we own to the city or county where you reside. I am interested in which county sent you a bill and for what.

Before paying it I would call the NC Attorney General or State Treasurer.

My In Laws use to stay here for two to three months in a campground, never heard they got a tax notice.
It was Haywood County for our Montana. No idea what the actual bill may end up being as we haven't received it yet. I did send the tax office an email today to build a paper trail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 6.23.42 PM.png
Views:	68
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	12555  
Old 07-20-2022, 04:48 PM   #4
CDS1
Established Member

M.O.C. #27770
The State of NC collects the property tax when I renew my registration on the Montana along with the other vehicles. The tax is then sent to the county. Be sure to send them a copy of your registration and where you pay your taxes. They should not be able to tax you twice.

Keep us posted.

Hope you change your mind about our state, I can point you to some places we like to camp.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:54 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
RS,

Surprised they only hit you for your rig and did not include the truck.

Since FL does not have a personal property tax (at least they didn't when I lived there) you will not be able to show you paid the tax elsewhere. Seems like the lesson is don't stay over new years day.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:27 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I don't understand, if you truck and trailer are not licensed / titled in North Carolina, how can NC do that? First, how did they find you? How did they single you out?

Now, if you are licensed and titled in North Carolina, that's a totally different matter.

If you are not a resident of that state, if you are not registered or titled in that state, if you do not vote in that state, if your bank account is not in that state, if your home of record on your drivers license is not in that state, if your automobile and trailer insurance is not in that state, if your health insurance is not in that state, then I sure wouldn't pay. This makes no sense at all.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:48 AM   #7
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Having owned a home in NC for 11 years, I know that NC requires marinas to report their boats slipped there on January 1. Perhaps the same is required of park owners. I'd correspond (email or snail mail) with the county assessor's office and tell them your rig was there temporarily and that it resides in whatever state it is registered in. Don't let them BS you into paying that tax, this situation is a common thread on my boating forums too. Just a money grab and some states and counties are more aggressive than others...
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:53 AM   #8
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I don't understand, if you truck and trailer are not licensed / titled in North Carolina, how can NC do that? First, how did they find you? How did they single you out?

Now, if you are licensed and titled in North Carolina, that's a totally different matter.

If you are not a resident of that state, if you are not registered or titled in that state, if you do not vote in that state, if your bank account is not in that state, if your home of record on your drivers license is not in that state, if your automobile and trailer insurance is not in that state, if your health insurance is not in that state, then I sure wouldn't pay. This makes no sense at all.
I completely agree. The rig was setup like you would see in any short stay campsite. Nothing that would indicate that we were permanent residents. It has valid, up to date, Florida plates on it.

I have no idea by what mechanism they single you out but they were able to get the notice to me at my mail forwarding mailbox in Florida and the address was spot on so I'm assuming from a government database.

If I have it figured right it'll cost us about $350 if we cannot get them to drop it. Not paying it isn't an option as they'll surely issue a tax warrant.

I really wanted others to know about this which is why I posted it.

We will NOT be staying in anything but military campgrounds in the state of NC from here on. Just not worth the worry/hassle.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:55 AM   #9
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
Having owned a home in NC for 11 years, I know that NC requires marinas to report their boats slipped there on January 1. Perhaps the same is required of park owners. I'd correspond (email or snail mail) with the county assessor's office and tell them your rig was there temporarily and that it resides in whatever state it is registered in. Don't let them BS you into paying that tax, this situation is a common thread on my boating forums too. Just a money grab and some states and counties are more aggressive than others...
Thank you. I'm thinking that's what has happened. Hopefully I can get it resolved. I'll be sure to update as things progress.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:01 AM   #10
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
RS,

Surprised they only hit you for your rig and did not include the truck.

Since FL does not have a personal property tax (at least they didn't when I lived there) you will not be able to show you paid the tax elsewhere. Seems like the lesson is don't stay over new years day.
FL does have property tax, on real estate property only. Taxes on your vehicles are paid with annual registration, but we are not taxed like other states. We also have no state income tax.
Guess that's why all the yankees like moving to FL.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:46 AM   #11
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Tell NC to piss off.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:47 AM   #12
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Robert,
Having bought in Clay county this year I'd say they're really fond of that RE tax revenue! I'm not sure our move from NC to FL qualifies as a "Yankee" moving in or not
Old 07-21-2022, 06:52 AM   #13
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
RS,
I've received assessments and bills after leaving NC and my emails to Beaufort county assessor's office were promptly responded to and they adjusted their tax roles accordingly. It was easy and we weren't treated like a suspected scofflaws, hopefully your county will be as nice.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:28 AM   #14
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
*UPDATE*

Just got off the phone with the county tax office. The campground reported us (as required by law) to the county as being in the campground on January 1st.

The only way to get the assessment rescinded is for the campground to send a letter to the county indicating the day we left (the tax office was vague on how long one must be in the state to get taxed).

Since the campground has virtually no immediate incentive to send the letter I asked how much the tax bill would be if they don't. $472.00

Assessors office said they'd update us via email if they get the letter. We are currently in Upstate NY about 1,000 miles away from Maggie Valley headed to the SW from here. So going there to fix it ourselves is out of the question.

Hopefully the campground will come through.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:43 AM   #15
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
FL does have property tax, on real estate property only. Taxes on your vehicles are paid with annual registration, but we are not taxed like other states. We also have no state income tax.
Guess that's why all the yankees like moving to FL.
Property tax and personal property tax are two different beasts. We lived in Orange Park for 15 years. Some states have a dedicated personal property tax, some include it with vehicle registration and some have none. I remember FL vehicle taxes as very low not including a personal property tax. We are now paying more tax on our vehicles in AZ than I did in FL.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:10 AM   #16
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Maybe worth writing the letter for the CG and emailing it to them and ask them to print it out, sign and mail go the assessor.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:45 PM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
...........The only way to get the assessment rescinded is for the campground to send a letter to the county indicating the day we left (the tax office was vague on how long one must be in the state to get taxed)........
Hopefully you have a copy of the reservation that could be used to demonstrate your short term occupancy.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:47 PM   #18
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Hopefully you have a copy of the reservation that could be used to demonstrate your short term occupancy.
I've got that and of our next stay in a military campground in Georgia. Unfortunately the only thing they will accept is from the campground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 7.43.33 PM.png
Views:	37
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	12569  
Old 07-22-2022, 05:22 AM   #19
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
Robert,
Having bought in Clay county this year I'd say they're really fond of that RE tax revenue! I'm not sure our move from NC to FL qualifies as a "Yankee" moving in or not
I meant no offense. Welcome to Florida!
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:03 AM   #20
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I would send ONE letter, stating you were traveling. Last I heard we are still in the USA where free travel is allowed. And NOT PAY THE BILL.
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote