Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2022, 02:06 PM   #1
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Cleaning tanks, but panal shows 2 of each, I only have 1 of each

Okay, I've had my 2019 Montana high country 381TH for several months, but the first time we got to really use it was on the Fourth of July. There was no dumping station where we were at. However I back up to about 15 acres that my family owns. We don’t have a septic tank and we don’t have anywhere around the house for sewage. So I ran 100 foot hose back into the woods, our woods mind you, purchased a very nice macerator, an AC to DC 30 amp power inverter, or is that converter, and statred emptying tanks. Here is my problem:

The panel inside shows that I have two of each tank type. It sounds to me like the tanks were emptied by the way the macerator starts to really wind up, and I ran out in the woods to check and nothing was coming out anymore. NOTE: I now see the need for a clear plastic adapter. Anyway, when I go in and check what the board says, one gray water and one black water tank say empty and they didn’t before. However, the other gray water and black water indicators show them as almost full. So I am befuddled. My model does have a hook up to flush the tanks, but I’m afraid to start pumping water into them if I’m reading the panel incorrectly and there’s still stuff in the tanks. The macerator has a flushing hose inlet and when I hear the macerator start winding up and I turn on the flushing hose the macerator calms back down and you can see the hose jump as if something was moving through it. Am I doing something wrong?

Please be careful when using speech to text and you say the word macerator, if you don’t go back and check your grammar, then people will wonder why you’re doing these freaky things to your body.

KausalityKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:28 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Steve,

Does your rig have 1 or 2 toilets? If only one it only has 1 black tank. Check that you have opened the valves for both gray tanks?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:42 PM   #3
Russ&Reen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21546
The same panel is used in multiple models, you should have one black tank and 2 gray tanks. One gray is for the shower and bathroom, the other is for the galley. The galley will have a separate pull handle under the trailer. In our model that is by the back wheels.
Often the panels will have a false reading due to TP on the sensors, a good flush usually clears them. We lift the nose of the trailer a bit while flushing/dumping and find it helps.
Is there someone that can watch the end of the hose for you when you flush them?
Yes, you need the clear elbow so you can see what's going on.
-Reen
Russ&Reen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:44 PM   #4
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
If your rig only has a single toilet, you only have one black tank. Were both blacks showing full before you dumped? If not, I'm guessing you have the same issue most people have, especially if you haven't rinsed the tank, which is the sensors have toilet paper or debris on them, so not reading correctly.
For the gray tank that occurs less often.
Look under your RV for the location of the black pipes coming out of the underbelly. Somewhere near one of those lines is a gray T-handle that is the valve for the second gray. Usually it's near the kitchen area, but maybe the bathroom depending on your floorplan and the location of the sewer hose connection.
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:21 PM   #5
Matrap27
Established Member

M.O.C. #18094
I have the same year and model of RV you have, you have one black tank and two gray water tanks. The pull handles are located1) inside the rear wheel well behind the rear tire ( horrible place to put it) 2) on the frame rail under the refrigerator.
Matrap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 04:17 PM   #6
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrap27 View Post
I have the same year and model of RV you have, you have one black tank and two gray water tanks. The pull handles are located1) inside the rear wheel well behind the rear tire ( horrible place to put it) 2) on the frame rail under the refrigerator.
Thanks to all, and I can respond to every one of you but that would be extremely redundant. I guess since you guys have the same model as I do, do you also have two black tank buttons on the inside panel? If so, which one really indicates what’s in my single black tank, black tank 1 or black tank 2?

I Will try everything suggested and I’m sure that will solve my problems. However, I think Keystone should’ve put the indicators how much was in the tank on the same damn side that you emptied them. Plus, I had no clue about a second grey tank. If you go read the specs on that year and model it says one gray tank and one black tank.

Oh, does the second gray tank, Like the other one is supposed to do, empties into the black tank first?
Old 07-18-2022, 07:24 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by KausalityKid View Post
Thanks to all, and I can respond to every one of you but that would be extremely redundant. I guess since you guys have the same model as I do, do you also have two black tank buttons on the inside panel? If so, which one really indicates what’s in my single black tank, black tank 1 or black tank 2?

I Will try everything suggested and I’m sure that will solve my problems. However, I think Keystone should’ve put the indicators how much was in the tank on the same damn side that you emptied them. Plus, I had no clue about a second grey tank. If you go read the specs on that year and model it says one gray tank and one black tank.

Oh, does the second gray tank, Like the other one is supposed to do, empties into the black tank first?

I dont have the same model but I do have 2 black tank sensors and buttons but only 1 black tanks. Those macerator pumps can create quite a bit of pressure. IF you saw the hose move I have to believe something was going through it. By the time you ran 100 feet into the woods it could have shot pretty far! Look again?
Old 07-18-2022, 08:47 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:

The specs only give you the total gallons of grey water, not broken down to how much in each tank. Our rig has a grey tank and a galley tank but specs 93 gallons of grey, but it really has a 53 gallon grey tank and a 40 gallon galley tank. You rig will probably have a grey tank that has the same gallons as your black tank and how ever many gallons remain will be what your galley tank holds. Also, if you ever wonder why you can't fill your fresh tank with as many gallons of water as the specs say, subtract the water heater tank size of gallons from the specs and you will be very close to what the actual fresh tank holds.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:45 PM   #9
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
This is why I love this site

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post

The specs only give you the total gallons of grey water, not broken down to how much in each tank. Our rig has a grey tank and a galley tank but specs 93 gallons of grey, but it really has a 53 gallon grey tank and a 40 gallon galley tank. You rig will probably have a grey tank that has the same gallons as your black tank and how ever many gallons remain will be what your galley tank holds. Also, if you ever wonder why you can't fill your fresh tank with as many gallons of water as the specs say, subtract the water heater tank size of gallons from the specs and you will be very close to what the actual fresh tank holds.
It seems as the Montana owners are a helpful group, more than any other group I’ve had to deal with
Old 07-19-2022, 06:04 PM   #10
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
It seems as the Montana owners are a helpful group, more than any other group I’ve had to deal with

Good to hear. I did some research on you model and I only see 1 gray, 1 black and 1 fresh. What am I missing?
Old 07-19-2022, 10:30 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Good to hear. I did some research on you model and I only see 1 gray, 1 black and 1 fresh. What am I missing?
You're seeing total gallons, not number of tanks. There will be a galley tank with a handle near the wheels somewhere.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:16 PM   #12
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Talking Keystone documentation is their weakest point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Yes, it says 1 of each, but what I learned was that was quite misleading. In was always wondering why I had an additional dumping drain that terminated at my axle. Also there was a drainage open handle. Apparently, thei truth is that there are 2 tanks of grey and 1 black. The additional tank is for the kitchen drainage and probably the bathroom sink and shower also. The other gray tank is for urine and feces from the toilet.

EDIT: I almost forgot this other tidbit. The specs on my model says it only has two wheels and two axles. Guess what? I have three of each

Well on the topic of Keystone documentation I have a big bone to pick with them. Having spent 30+ years in an industry that required copious amounts of user documentation I find that the Keystone manuals that they provide are extremely inadequate. They reek of laziness. Almost every topic has very little description or information, but instead a hyperlink to another company‘s website. I understand why they do it. It’s because they use so many products from other manufacturers in the development and construction of their RVs that they feel the most up-to-date and accurate information would be on the third-party manufacture’s site. However, they do it almost obsessively, why am I saying almost, they do it everywhere on every topic. It’s frustrating to finally find somewhere in the manual that talks about what you were interested in at that point how much you find that you have to now go to another manufacture’s site and track down the product that you are looking for information on.

Oh yeah, BTW I’m willing to admit here in front of God and Montana lovers of all kind that I hooked up a hose to the flush inlet and got distracted. We have a Husqvarna auto mower, it’s like a rumba for your lawn, and fixing a broken wire and forgot all about my hook up to the flush inlet. I didn’t quite catch it in time so I had a minor flood with a little bit it poo goo on the bathroom floor . So learn from my mistakes since I don’t seem to be able to do it myself.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:31 PM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Yes, it says 1 of each, but what I learned was that was quite misleading. In was always wondering why I had an additional dumping drain that terminated at my axle. Also there was a drainage open handle. Apparently, thei truth is that there are 2 tanks of grey and 1 black. The additional tank is for the kitchen drainage and probably the bathroom sink and shower also. The other gray tank is for urine and feces from the toilet.

EDIT: I almost forgot this other tidbit. The specs on my model says it only has two wheels and two axles. Guess what? I have three of each

Well on the topic of Keystone documentation I have a big bone to pick with them. Having spent 30+ years in an industry that required copious amounts of user documentation I find that the Keystone manuals that they provide are extremely inadequate. They reek of laziness. Almost every topic has very little description or information, but instead a hyperlink to another company‘s website. I understand why they do it. It’s because they use so many products from other manufacturers in the development and construction of their RVs that they feel the most up-to-date and accurate information would be on the third-party manufacture’s site. However, they do it almost obsessively, why am I saying almost, they do it everywhere on every topic. It’s frustrating to finally find somewhere in the manual that talks about what you were interested in at that point how much you find that you have to now go to another manufacture’s site and track down the product that you are looking for information on.

Oh yeah, BTW I’m willing to admit here in front of God and Montana lovers of all kind that I hooked up a hose to the flush inlet and got distracted. We have a Husqvarna auto mower, it’s like a rumba for your lawn, and fixing a broken wire and forgot all about my hook up to the flush inlet. I didn’t quite catch it in time so I had a minor flood with a little bit it poo goo on the bathroom floor . So learn from my mistakes since I don’t seem to be able to do it myself.
That makes since. Most all models have 3 tanks. as far as the other issue (YIKES)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:37 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
...Yes, it says 1 of each, but what I learned was that was quite misleading. In was always wondering why I had an additional dumping drain that terminated at my axle. Also there was a drainage open handle. Apparently, thei truth is that there are 2 tanks of grey and 1 black. The additional tank is for the kitchen drainage and probably the bathroom sink and shower also. The other gray tank is for urine and feces from the toilet.....
The Montana documentation has *NEVER* specified the number of grey (or black) tanks. They always specify the capacity. Sites like RV Trader and other sales sites usually say 1 tank because they don't have a clue. The most common question from new owners is "why is my kitchen sink backing up? I drained my grey tank". All seem to believe there is only 1 tank and don't realize there are two grey and there are separate handles for each.

In your case, there are three tanks (not counting fresh water). The black tank is for the toilet. One grey is for the sink and shower in the bathroom. The second grey is for the kitchen sink.

Here is a snip of the Keystone pages for HC specifications. Note the 335BH Waste capacity jumped to 88 gals. Obviously it has two black tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HC Specs.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	12568  

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:19 PM   #15
badaxemi
Established Member

M.O.C. #25648
Quote:
Okay, I've had my 2019 Montana high country 381TH for several months, but the first time we got to really use it was on the Fourth of July. There was no dumping station where we were at. However I back up to about 15 acres that my family owns. We don’t have a septic tank and we don’t have anywhere around the house for sewage. So I ran 100 foot hose back into the woods, our woods mind you, purchased a very nice macerator, an AC to DC 30 amp power inverter, or is that converter, and statred emptying tanks. Here is my problem:

The panel inside shows that I have two of each tank type. It sounds to me like the tanks were emptied by the way the macerator starts to really wind up, and I ran out in the woods to check and nothing was coming out anymore. NOTE: I now see the need for a clear plastic adapter. Anyway, when I go in and check what the board says, one gray water and one black water tank say empty and they didn’t before. However, the other gray water and black water indicators show them as almost full. So I am befuddled. My model does have a hook up to flush the tanks, but I’m afraid to start pumping water into them if I’m reading the panel incorrectly and there’s still stuff in the tanks. The macerator has a flushing hose inlet and when I hear the macerator start winding up and I turn on the flushing hose the macerator calms back down and you can see the hose jump as if something was moving through it. Am I doing something wrong?

Please be careful when using speech to text and you say the word macerator, if you don’t go back and check your grammar, then people will wonder why you’re doing these freaky things to your body.
I have the excat same year and model you have and I wondered the same thing. Found out that the Black 1 is the only one used. The gray 1 and gray 2 are for the kitchen and the other is for the bathroom. Hope this helps.
badaxemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:19 AM   #16
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
Why didn’t you run the macerator hose into your house toilet? Dumping human waste blindly into the woods is a horrible idea. Also, I’m sure there are plenty of places in Jacksonville where you can dump your waste, with a lot less effort than setting up a macerator.
FlexArmor roof 2021, Starlink
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:08 PM   #17
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondLove View Post
Why didn’t you run the macerator hose into your house toilet? Dumping human waste blindly into the woods is a horrible idea. Also, I’m sure there are plenty of places in Jacksonville where you can dump your waste, with a lot less effort than setting up a macerator.
Sorry for the delay in responding to this. It got lost in the plethora of junk email I get. When I started I really didn’t know that the toilet was an option. Until I ran across some page that talked about the different places you could empty. So I’ve started using the toilet in our spare bathroom, but had to buy an extra 25 feet of hose. I agree that that is not a good idea, but I thought it was my only option at the time, other than an RV storage place up the street they wanted to charge me $75 to empty my tank. I thought that was a huge rip off since there are free places. Also, I am still getting used to pulling this 41 foot monstrosity around, and to pull it out just to take the half hour trip to a free dumping place it was not appealing. I live on a cul-de-sac and our driveway extends up one side of the house for a good 50 feet. Please trust me when I say it is an incredible hassle to park the RV back there. Maybe in the future when I get more comfortable with backing it up it won’t be such a frightening for me.

BTW, the macerator I bought required a 12 V 20 amp power source. I bought a converter, but that thing scares the hell out of me too. At first I used alligator clips, then realized I just needed to wire it directly to the macerator and cover up where they connect with heat shrinking material so that nobody accidentally touch the contacts and killed themselves.
Old 07-30-2022, 01:17 PM   #18
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Quote:
Originally Posted by badaxemi View Post
I have the excat same year and model you have and I wondered the same thing. Found out that the Black 1 is the only one used. The gray 1 and gray 2 are for the kitchen and the other is for the bathroom. Hope this helps.
I would love to be able to ask you guys some questions. Since this was my first RV I didn’t know what I didn’t know. They said that we would be doing a two hour walk-through, but what they gave us was about 15 minutes. There is so much that I didn’t know that they should’ve told me. I called the dealer and complained about this and they sent somebody out. Once again, I don’t know what I don’t know, they did another quick walk-through and still didn’t cover much of anything. This hassle I’ve had with the tanks and the control panel could’ve been avoided had they giving me a proper walk-through. I still have things that I have no clue about.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:34 AM   #19
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Kausality Kid, is that Jacksonville, FL? If so, I live in the Ft. Caroline area. PM me and I will be glad to meet up and help you out.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote